SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submitting more than one piece at a time to a magazine

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Normally, I wait to hear back from an editor before subbing my next short story for consideration. But is that the right thing to do? I don't want to appear pushy or to be bombarding the editorial staff - that's why I wait. But I wonder if I'm missing out on opportunities, too.

For example, I subbed a short story to Boy's Quest a little over a month ago. I have another story that I'd like to send that group too. Would you wait or go ahead and send it? I've had a few acceptances and rejections with this group so I know I'll probably hear from them soon. But I also know their themes fill up really fast.
#1 - May 20, 2013, 11:18 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Because Boy's Quest is all themed, I'd send it now. I've had a NF piece at HIghlights for about 9 months now, still waiting to hear back. In that time I've sent them other articles and poems and benn rejected. When you have it ready to go, I say send it.
#2 - May 20, 2013, 12:16 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Normally, this has been a no-no -- but I agree that in the case of Boys' Quest or another themed publication, go for it. Just because you haven't heard back yet about your submission for their Jan. 2016 issue, does that mean you should pass up your chance to submit for their Aug. 2016 issue? I say no, especially because of the way they work: when an issue is full, it's full. You have to jump in as soon as you can. 
#3 - May 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I third the advice to send it out in this case for all the reasons mentioned above.
Good luck,
Vijaya
#4 - May 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks for your responses. My story is ready to go!
#5 - May 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Normally, this has been a no-no

So, when is submitting more than one piece a no-no? Some of these magazines take so long to reply that sometimes I'll submit a second ms. three or four months after the first. I've never had more than three in at once (and those would usually be with at least two different editors--fiction and non-fiction) but I don't always wait for the first ms to be returned before sending another.

#6 - May 21, 2013, 08:01 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Starfish, it's fine to submit additional pieces to Boys' Quest, Hopscotch, or Fun for Kidz. Their 'official' guidelines sheet they enclose with rejections says please not to send more than one submission per week.

As for submitting additional pieces to other publications, if they take six months or more to respond, and especially if they send their submissions out to first readers, I've occasionally sent a second ms to them before I've heard back on the first.

If you send multiple pieces close together that are the same genre to mags that are unthemed, you do run the risk of competing against yourself.

Best wishes to you!
#7 - May 21, 2013, 08:39 PM

I try to send the things I write to the market that best matches them. If that means I send a second thing to a magazine that hasn't responded to something else yet -- I do it without a second thought. Magazines don't want a half dozen things from you to sort out, but when you feel like it's the very best market match -- send it. :exactly:
#8 - May 22, 2013, 03:25 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I send multiple pieces at once. I don't see any reason not to do so. I only send two to any given editor, but I've been known to sub up to three at once (to multiple editors). Most have been accepted, so I don't think it's been a problem! :)
#9 - May 22, 2013, 12:02 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I try to send the things I write to the market that best matches them. If that means I send a second thing to a magazine that hasn't responded to something else yet -- I do it without a second thought. Magazines don't want a half dozen things from you to sort out, but when you feel like it's the very best market match -- send it. :exactly:

I know I inundated Paula Morrow at Ladybug ... she had to tell me to slow down as half a dozen of my manuscripts were being passed around. She was very sweet about it, but I learned my lesson.

Vijaya
#10 - May 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks for your help everyone! Just wanted to share that I just received an acceptance! Instead of Boy's Quest, my story will be in Fun For Kidz. I feel so lucky! They're such a great group!

Also, I held off on sending that second story so I could make further revisions. I'm glad I waited because this time my acceptance letter didn't mention the name of my story. So, if I'd had two with them and the response time had been longer, I would've been confused. Although it did indicate the theme. I don't know, something to think about maybe. Normally, I write the name of my manuscript on my SASE, but I forgot to do that this time.
#11 - May 31, 2013, 10:17 AM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Congrats on your acceptance, Starfish! :)
#12 - May 31, 2013, 01:39 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Sara!
#13 - June 02, 2013, 07:26 PM
Anita N. Amin

Members: