SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

superheroes for 5 to 7 year old girls

Discussion started on

Who are your 5 to 7 year old DAUGHTER's favorite male superheroes? Would they consider that superhero "handsome"?
#1 - June 01, 2013, 12:21 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My 6-year-old said her favorite is Captain America. 

I asked, "Is he handsome?"

She looked at me shyly and nodded yes. :)
#2 - June 01, 2013, 01:10 PM
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:17 PM by wolfie712 »
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Awwww...that's sweet, Laura.

For some reason, all of my original post did not come through. My second part of the question is, if they don't consider their superhero handsome (or even if they do), how would they complete the following statement: "My daddy is more handsome than ________."

THANKS!
#3 - June 01, 2013, 04:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just told Charlotte, "Finish this sentence: 'My daddy is more handsome than ______.'"

And she replied, "A pig."

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!  :haha
#4 - June 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Hahahaha! Out of the mouths of babes. Better keep that one from daddy! ;-)
#5 - June 01, 2013, 05:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Yeah, especially since he's a police officer!  :lol4
#6 - June 01, 2013, 05:34 PM
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Just asked my 7yo:

"Who is your favorite superhero?"

Without hesitation: "Daddy!"

My 8yo said: "Superman!" But when I asked, "Would you call him 'handsome,' she was like, "No. Why?"

7yo also got silly when I asked if she'd call Daddy handsome.  "No!" giggle, giggle, giggle....
#7 - June 01, 2013, 07:33 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
My girls (5 & 8) are asleep -- I'll ask them tomorrow. They definitely will say daddy is handsome, but they don't know superheroes, except Spider-Man. I doubt they could name five.
#8 - June 01, 2013, 07:55 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I don't have any girls, but this thread makes me laugh.
#9 - June 02, 2013, 06:22 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Can't speak for my girls as they are older but at that age I seriously crushed on Batman (the TV show).... but only with his mask on.
#10 - June 02, 2013, 07:41 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
My 7 year old said, "What are you talking about?" She really is unaware of superheroes. She cannot think of what they look like. She hears boys talk about them, but is not really engaged. My 5 year old just rolled her eyes and said, "oh no not again." Apparently the 5 year old boys are very, very into super heroes and spend lots of time on the playground playing superhero and arguing about which one they are. She did not think any were handsome and said "ewww." It is an interesting question. Not sure there are really any superheroes for girls in that age range. If there are, we apparently are missing out.
#11 - June 02, 2013, 07:55 AM

A deep, dark confession from Abracadabra! :-)

writerhoo, this is one of the reasons I asked. I was curious if GIRLS this age even paid any attention to superheroes. Your younger daughter's response cracked me up!
#12 - June 02, 2013, 03:37 PM
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:57 PM by KatyD »

"this is one of the reasons I asked. I was curious if GIRLS this age even paid any attention to superheroes."

I think that (some) girls that age certainly do pay attention to superheroes. I don't have any kids of my own to ask, but I immediately thought of this Tumblr project: http://bettersupes.tumblr.com/
Not sure if it'll help any, but it's cute and fun to look through =)
#13 - June 02, 2013, 06:32 PM

This is fantastic, GoldenBird! I love the tutus with the capes. How cute is that?

Thanks for taking the time to post this. It's fodder for lots of thoughts and ideas.
#14 - June 02, 2013, 07:02 PM

Interesting question.

My daughter (just turned eight) thinks the whole concept of being handsome is hilarious. She did watch the Batman cartoon once or twice just to see what the fuss was about. She was kind of intrigued by the seriousness, but didn't ultimately relate to it too much. If I asked her who her favorite superhero was, I'm pretty sure she'd say (with dramatic flare), "Captain Underpants!"

Oh my gosh, I just had a sudden flashback. When I was about 5 I had a big crush on Mighty Mouse! Ha ha! I also really liked Underdog. Of course, we didn't have many choices for shows back then. :)
#15 - June 02, 2013, 07:32 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Love that tumblr link!
#16 - June 02, 2013, 07:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I was curious if GIRLS this age even paid any attention to superheroes.

I would bet that older siblings play a big role in whether or not girls this age are aware of superheros.  My daughter knows about the Avengers because my 9-year-old son likes them (and only recently--he's much more into Star Wars).
#17 - June 02, 2013, 10:12 PM
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Nothing to add, just want to say I'm loving this thread. That Tumblr site is awesome! I think the tutu-wearing Hulk is my favorite.

Diana, I had a crush on Mighty Mouse, too.  :love4:
#18 - June 03, 2013, 07:54 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I had a crush on Mighty Mouse too!

I asked my girls their favorite superheroes, and they didn't know what I meant at first. They said fire fighters. Then they figured it out and said Power Puff Girls.

Culture is more fragmented now -- I watched Batman with Adam West and the Spider-Man cartoon as a kid but it was what was on -- kids now have more options. My girls like to watch girls. They would like female superheroes if there were more of them and better suited to young children -- they like Wordgirl on PBS, Zita the Space Girl graphic novels, for example, as well as Power Puff Girls, which is too violent for them but they like how cute and strong the girls are. Our latest obsession is Avatar because the girls are as powerful as the boys. They like to play Katara and Toph.

I think much of the early exposure young children have to superheroes now is licensing and toys first, before being aware of the comic books, series, or movies. And so many superheroes for young children are really parodies -- Aquabats, Captain Underpants, Wordgirl, Power Puff Girls. They get jokes about superhero tropes before they actually see the tropes played straight.
#19 - June 03, 2013, 08:20 AM
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:26 AM by Kell »
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Diana, I had a crush on Mighty Mouse, too.
mghiggins and Kell -- No way!!! I feel so validated! I remember literally kissing and hugging the tv when he came on.

Yes, it seems like many of today's superheroes are parodies. Like Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy on Spongebob! So funny.

Anyway, I think a fresh approach to superheroes would always be welcome.

And Laura, I agree that having an older brother would make a big difference!

#20 - June 03, 2013, 10:08 AM

A crush on Mighty Mouse, huh?  Okay.  But Danger Mouse was the mouse for me.
#21 - June 03, 2013, 10:36 AM

Danger Mouse? Never heard of that one, Jaina. But whoa, if "Danger" is his FIRST name... yowza!   ;D
#22 - June 03, 2013, 05:11 PM

Danger Mouse is a British secret agent mouse with a fat hamster sidekick named Penfold. Good stuff!
#23 - June 03, 2013, 06:06 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
 :lol4

This thread has me laughing and suddenly I am singing the Mighty Mouse theme song and it won't go away!

:superwoman
#24 - June 03, 2013, 10:28 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Jaina, sounds like a good one. :ha Mice always make such good characters because there's so much potential for contrast with their usual characteristics.

Liz, I apologize! LOL! Quite catchy, isn't it?  :muscles
#25 - June 04, 2013, 05:19 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
This thread is so funny! I can't ask my toddlers but I remember when I was 5 or so, I had a huge crush on the cartoon character Speed Racer and was jealous of his girlfriend Trixie.

As an adult I thought it was strange that I had a crush on a cartoon character. But now that I've read several of you had a crush on a cartoon character mouse, I feel a lot better! LOL
#26 - June 04, 2013, 10:14 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

I had a crush on Speed Racer, too!  Then I went on to Christopher Reeve, Morten Harket of a-ha, and married a man with dark hair and blue eyes.   :)

Christopher Reeve's Superman movies are among my daughter's most hated, btw.  (She is 8.)  That is probably the only superhero she knows of. 

She would never voluntarily say someone was handsome.  Once her brother was all decked out for an occasion and I said to her, "Doesn't your brother looked handsome?"  And she rolled her eyes and said, "Yeessss," very coy. 
#27 - June 04, 2013, 10:36 AM

When I was about 5 I had a big crush on Mighty Mouse! Ha ha!

So funny! My kid brother and I used to watch him all the time. He was quite a hottie for a rodent (Mighty Mouse, that is--not my kid brother). "Heeeere I come to save the daaaaaaaaaaaaay!" Oy vey!
#28 - June 04, 2013, 01:26 PM
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:14 PM by LeslieG »

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

:nicethread:  I'm loving this conversation! It takes me back to the early 60s, when the boys and some of the girls were heavily into Batman. :batman   I didn't care for Batman, but those plastic rings were pretty cool. I was an Underdog girl, myself. 
#30 - June 04, 2013, 03:25 PM

Members: