SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

girls' lacrosse research question

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
So Google tells me that high school girls' lacrosse season is in the Spring. Unfortunately, that timing is turning out to be terribly inconvenient for one of my characters. :-)

Other than the Spring Varsity team, are there any other events/opportunities/off-season teams that would allow my character to play on a lacrosse team in late September?

Thank you for any suggestions!
#1 - June 05, 2013, 09:14 AM
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:49 AM by JJwrites »

Member.
Poster Plus
In some areas, there are club lacrosse leagues that play in the fall. Try googling "club lacrosse" and "fall season."
#2 - June 05, 2013, 09:17 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
We have fall/winter/spring lacrosse programs in my area, though I don't know how high up it goes for the town teams (my kids are still in elementary school). I agree that there's probably a club program that exists in the fall somewhere!
#3 - June 05, 2013, 11:15 AM

Where does your book take place? I believe there's more lacrosse on the East coast than the West. Here we do have lacrosse at school (in the spring) but I'm not aware of fall teams. Of course we have year round soccer and baseball. ;)

I mean there's this for instance: http://www.fall-lacrosse.com/
#4 - June 05, 2013, 12:25 PM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Here in Texas we do have travel teams that you try out for that compete around the state in the fall, but they generally are for high school kids that do not play on the team for their high school -- i.e. if you play for your high school team you are generally discouraged from playing for another team. So you either always play for another team, or you only play for your high school team. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is the way it works here.
#5 - June 05, 2013, 01:14 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
The University of Oregon lacrosse team here in Eugene plays both a fall and spring season, though one may be unofficial.
#6 - June 05, 2013, 02:09 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
The book takes place in Seattle, which doesn't seem to have any high school girls' club activity in the fall. (Summer, yes. Fall for boys and women, yes. Close, but not exactly what I was hoping to find. Drat.)

Well, the good news for me is that club/travel/unofficial fall seasons at least exist in other places, so creating one for my character isn't completely ludicrous. Many thanks for your answers, everyone!
#7 - June 06, 2013, 07:47 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Travel/club activity is VERY high in many places in the country during the fall season. In fact, that's the way many gals get exposure and recruited by college coaches; by going to the big tournaments. Even though Seattle doesn't have this kind of thing going on now doesn't mean it won't grow into it. That's the way lacrosse has worked in general; migrated from area to area. So, you could definitely write as if it were already there. Just use another place as a model. We just moved from the Cleveland area and the "west side" of Cleveland has a VERY strong group over there (focus on the Rocky River area).

#8 - June 06, 2013, 01:02 PM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
My son plays on a springtime lacrosse league, here in New York's Hudson Valley. There is, however, summer lacrosse camps, and an indoor winter league too. As far as I know, girls lacrosse follows the same schedule.
#9 - June 06, 2013, 07:39 PM

Members: