SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Researching books where characters swap places

Discussion started on

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'm brainstorming a magic system for my novel that will explain how two characters swap places in a contemporary, realistic world. I'm researching how others have explained similar plot twists. Here are some books that come to mind:

Inkheart: father has magical ability to read characters out of story

Freaky Friday: I can't remember how it worked in the original book, but the latest movie had them read fortunes at a Chinese restaurant with the suggestion that the owner did something to the fortunes.

11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass: As I remember it, there was something along the lines of a family curse when they two main characters were born, that they had to celebrate every birthday together or else. When the book starts, the characters are in a fight and break the tradition of celebrating together and the MC is doomed to repeat her birthday. In order to right her world, she has to uncover and right some family drama that was the basis for the curse.

Do any other titles come to mind that I could look into?
#1 - June 09, 2013, 05:59 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Freaky Friday is such a marvelous book (WAY better than the movie, IMO) that it's worth a read.  In it, the implication is that the mother did the swap through some power she has but Annabelle says something like "she won't tell me how."  This is established at the end of the story, when Annabelle is explaining a few things the reader might have questioned.

Since the same kind of swap happens between her little brother Ben and their dad in Summer Switch, you might want to check that one out, too.  It's been a while and I can't remember if there was a "how" behind the switch, or if it was just one of those things because they both made a wish at the same time, etc.

There were several movies in the 80s with the same premise--Like Father, Like Son, 18 Again!, Vice Versa.  All released around 87/88.

Sharing a body also seemed to be an 80s comedy thing--the one that comes to mind is All of Me (1984).

Similarly, "possessing" someone's body was 80s/90s comedy gold--for example, ghosts entering Whoopi Goldberg's character's body in Ghost, or Robert Downey Jr.'s character in Heart and Souls. 

You could look up "body swap" or "body switch" book or movie and see if there are any others, but this is a good start:  the TV Tropes page for "Freaky Friday Flip." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreakyFridayFlip

Look at the place where it says "Example subpages" and click on a category (like "Literature") for many examples, including some contemporary books for kids.

#2 - June 09, 2013, 06:14 AM

There's a chapter book series called Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo by Nancy Krulik that's based on the switch premise.
#3 - June 09, 2013, 07:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
12 Again by Sue Corbett is a middle grade novel in which a woman inhabits her son's body. I haven't read it, so I don't know how the device is activated.
#4 - June 09, 2013, 08:15 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Maybe Every Day by David Leviathan? I haven't read it, but from what I understand, the mc wakes up every day in a different body. Which isn't quite a character swap, but sorta close.... :shrug:
#5 - June 09, 2013, 11:06 AM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Great suggestions! Thank you, everyone. Keep them coming if you think of more.
#6 - June 09, 2013, 02:07 PM
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018

littlelostalien

Todd Strasser's 'Help! I'm Trapped in My Teacher's Body' is good, and the swapping happens because of a machine made by the teacher.  It's part of a series with several other body swaps, but I haven't read the other ones.

Several SF TV shows also have body swap episodes, for example Star Trek Voyager involves a body swapping alien in series 4 episode 20, and Farscape's 'Out of Their Minds' has the characters swapping bodies several times.
#7 - July 19, 2013, 05:48 AM

littlelostalien

Oh, and there's a body swap in Dianna Wynn Jones' 'The Ogre Downstairs' too, which comes about because of an unusual chemistry set that the kids are playing with.
#8 - July 19, 2013, 05:51 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
In E. Lockhart's Fly on the Wall, the MC wakes up one morning inside the body of a fly. This is after she has made an impulsive remark about wanting to be a fly on the wall of the boys' locker room, so she recognizes the connection with her wish, but she never really knows how it happened. She thinks of several strange but seemingly insignificant things that happened before the switch, and wonders if any of them is the trigger, but she never knows for sure. You can take a look at that book to see how the switch into and back out of the fly were accomplished.
#9 - July 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Time for Andrew by Mary Downing Hahn. I think they switch because they're in the same attic. Or was there a special marble involved?

Gender Blender by Nelson

The Twinning Project by Lipsyte
#10 - July 26, 2013, 03:35 PM
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
These are super helpful suggestions you guys. Thanks so much!
#11 - August 06, 2013, 08:17 PM
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
WELL WISHED by Frannie Billingsley
#12 - August 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
The Safest Lie in stores now