SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Calling all Military Brats...

Discussion started on

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I am writing a book on a blended family and both fathers (one now deceased) have and are serving in the Marine Corps.  The MC, whose father died in Iraq, when she was in first grade is now the stepdaughter of a Marine Gunnery Sgt.  At the beginning of the story she will be entering 7th grade. He also has a son entering the 7th grade and a younger son.

What I need to know is about moves a Marine family will have made on average during the lifetime of a 12 year old.

#1 - July 24, 2013, 04:16 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
I don't know about Marines. We were an Air Force family. Each service is a bit different. On average it is every three years. I remember in the last ten years or so, they changed things around and kept people at the same base/post for longer to save money for the war effort. My Navy friends move every three years. We moved every two to four years.

Some people might be moved every year --- branch of service, rank, job all figure into it. There can be sudden moves on very short notice.

My son had made 4 moves by the time he was 12. We stayed 4 years in each of two places (which might be long for the Marines) and 3 years each in two other places.

#2 - July 28, 2013, 06:19 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Air Force brat. When I turned 12 I was in my fourth place, and would move again when I turned 13.
#3 - July 28, 2013, 06:48 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Thanks, the only reference I had to go on was my uncle who was a Major in the army.  Not many moves with his kids.
#4 - July 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
I don't know how it works with the Marines, but if the fathers were deployed for long periods, the families may not have been moved as often.
#5 - July 28, 2013, 03:39 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Another Air Force brat here. By the time I was 12, I was in my 6th school, but that number also has something to do with the fact that my dad actually left the Air Force for two years to fly commercial airlines, but this was right before they started laying off a lot of airline pilots, so he got back into the Air Force. In general, though, we were stationed in a place for an average of 3 years.
#6 - July 29, 2013, 12:40 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Poster Plus
Our moves were not regular. My husband is an audiologist, and there are only about forty of them in the Air Force. Sometimes moves were based on staffing needs, but generally it was every three years. For us, there was a minimum stay of two years at each station; he couldn't be moved before then.

You probably need to find some marines, preferably those with the same job as your characters.
#7 - July 29, 2013, 07:38 AM

Members: