SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Newbie Etiquette Qs

Discussion started on

Maryann L

Sorry...I am new here and new to message boards. How do I find my posts and is there a secret to searching posts? I don't want to add a new question (and clog up the board) because I am too dumb to find it. Also, I would like to track my posts. Thanks!
#1 - August 14, 2013, 08:29 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Maryann,

If you go into your profile page, you'll see "Show Posts" under the avatar area on the left hand side of the page.  And the search box is in the upper right hand corner of the page.
#2 - August 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Maryann L

Perfect! Thanks so much!
#3 - August 14, 2013, 09:06 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Also, another VERY handy trick to use is to click on the SHOW NEW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS link at the top of the board, right next to the HELLO <your board name> header. Note! You will not see this link if the nearly invisible white arrow next to Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Chat Board title is pointed down instead of up.
#4 - August 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Maryann L

I see it! Thank you, Verla. Did you really write this at 1:26 am? You are hard core! :hairdude
#5 - August 15, 2013, 07:04 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It was 11:26pm my time, Maryann. I'm on Pacific time. :)
#6 - August 15, 2013, 07:34 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Maryann L

Thanks again...one more Q if I may...what is the etiquette for critiques? I have never critiqued a book before. I see some swaps, but am afraid the other person will get the short end of the stick. Thoughts or suggestions?
#7 - August 15, 2013, 10:35 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Maryann, there is a lot of excellent information on critiques and critique groups on the Transcripts page of my website.

http://www.verlakay.com/page17/page10/page19/page19.html

Also, one of the most important things I've learned about doing online critiques is that since you can't hear the other person or see their body language, it's easy to misinterpret what they are telling you and feelings can be easily hurt. With that in mind, I always try to "sandwich" my critical comments between positive things I see in a manuscript. After all, it's just as important for a person to be told what they are doing right, as well as what things could be improved. :moose
#8 - August 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
Verla Kay

Maryann L

Thank you, Verla. There is so much to learn!
#9 - August 16, 2013, 08:44 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi,

Another newbie here. I second Maryanne L's notion that there is so much to learn! So true.

My own question is, how do others manage their time? Specifically, when it comes to the most important thing we should be doing - writing, writing, writing - versus spending time on these boards, reading blogs on writing, listening to writing pod casts, etc. All of which have value, of course! I am trying to educate myself, but am curious about how others find a balance...

(A clue that I'm a newbie may be that I should have asked my question elsewhere - there's that learning curve rearing its head!)

:coffee3:
#10 - January 29, 2014, 09:10 AM

Great question, Michael. It is tough because, like anything on the internet, the Boards can become a place of escapism vs. a way to connect with the kidlit community. If you look around you'll find some threads commenting about this! (I think sometimes we need escapism, however, when the stress of the biz gets to be too much, so don't go too hard on yourself if you occasionally spend waaaaay too much time here).

My personal suggestion would be to take a cursory glance at the whole board and then focus on what you are looking for most right now. When I was querying agents I haunted the Agent and Response Time boards, for example.

But yes, keeping up with the entire board would be a very daunting and time-consuming task!
#11 - January 29, 2014, 09:46 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, Amanda. I feel like I could spend months learning about the biz, but it would be at the expense of my writing. I see your point of choosing a focus and limiting myself to that. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!
#12 - January 29, 2014, 10:26 AM

Mike Jung

Hey Michael, that's a great question, and I think it's a perpetual struggle for all of us. I know I'm always tilting the balance too far in favor of stuff like social media presence, networking, etc. then being forced one way or another to tilt it back to writing. I second Amanda's advice - pick the areas you're most interested in and start there, then only branch out to others if it feels truly engaging, useful, and (most importantly) not an impediment to continuing your writing efforts. And when in doubt, give priority to writing. Welcome to the maelstrom, and good luck!
#13 - January 29, 2014, 10:38 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Great answers,  Amanda and Mike.

Something else you can do is go into your profile and "ignore" all the boards you don't want to distract you right now. You can turn off the ignores later whenever you are ready to explore more of the boards.

To ignore boards: 
Click on Profile at the top of the board in the menu.
Then click on Modify Profile> Ignore Board Options.
Check all the boards you want to ignore.
SAVE your changes by clicking the MODIFY PROFILE link in the bottom right corner of the page.
#14 - January 29, 2014, 10:39 AM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:48 AM by VerlaKay »
Verla Kay

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Also, Michael, almost everybody gets hooked by the boards in the beginning and spends way too much time here because there is so much to learn. So you might want to cut yourself some slack and just wallow in it for a couple of weeks. After a while you'll get over being obsessive about it and just check in at lunchtime and at the end of the day.

You can use a time-tracker like the free version of Rescue Time https://www.rescuetime.com/ to keep you focused. There's nothing like seeing that you've spent twice as much time on the Blueboards as on your Work in Progress to set you straight. Not that this has ever happened to me, you understand.  :liar But I've heard rumors.
#15 - January 29, 2014, 12:21 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It is nice to get the community feel right away! Onward I write, fighting my "I must know everything now" urge.  :thanks2
#16 - January 29, 2014, 06:12 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I got a "warning" about posting here because it is an old topic but my question fits the subject line so I'm going for it. :D  Anyway, as a newbie (not to message boards but to this one) I was just wondering if we can just jump in anywhere?  I'm asking because I saw a few topics I would like to respond to but most of the posters not only know each other but seem to be mods or higher so I wasn't sure if that was their area of the board or how that works and didn't want to just jump in if that was the case.  :embarrassed2
#17 - November 15, 2014, 02:54 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Tracy, anyone can post anywhere, so feel free to jump in!  That being said, a great way to start out is to go to the Introduce Yourselves! board and...well, introduce yourself. Tell the boards a bit about yourself.  It's a great way to start making acquaintances here.  Here's a link: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?board=94.0
#18 - November 15, 2014, 03:49 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
As Marissa said, any place on this message board that you can see is fine for you to post on, Tracy. We don't have any "closed groups" that are exclusive (at least, none that you can see)! :lol (The Moderators and Administrators do have a hidden area where we share information about what's going on in our areas of the board, but it's hidden behind the Moderator's :curtain curtain and you can't even see it, so you don't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes there.)

That "old posts" warning message is just to alert you that the topic you are wanting to post in has been inactive for a long time. That doesn't mean if your post is relevant (like this one is) you shouldn't post there. Often a new person on the board will see someone's question and feel they have a good answer to it - but if the question was asked a year or so ago, the original poster probably doesn't NEED an answer to it anymore and this is the board's way of alerting you to look carefully at the date of the original post before you add your comments to the thread. (So you don't waste time answering a question that doesn't need an answer.)

:welcome2 to the Blueboard! We hope you enjoy posting here.
#19 - November 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
Verla Kay

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
:welcome, Tracy. I don't think all that many people here know each other IRL (in real life). Some do, but they've met at SCBWI or other writer events after they've known each other by their screen names, and now that more SCBWI people are finding out about the Blueboards, some might know other posters from their chapters.

I've been a member for about 7 years, and a mod for almost 3, and I have met exactly two other Blueboarders IRL (mods and admins, for example live all over North America) yet feel I *know* dozens of Blueboarders just from posting, sharing info, being in online crit groups, etc.

Mods and admins tend to respond to posts because it's our job to keep an eye on things and to make sure that people feel welcome, so we're here anyway, and sometimes maybe we procrastinate overpost just a teeny tiny bit because hanging out here is easier than facing the Terror That Is The Blank Page.
#20 - November 15, 2014, 08:47 PM

Members: