SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Jeez, are these phrases dated?

Discussion started on

I'm doing a YA crit for a friend, and some of the things his characters said sound to me like they might be out of date. But since I don't have any "native informants" in their late teens, I thought I would ask the experts here. Feel free to chime in on any or all of these:

crud, dopey, the whole shebang, geezer, cripes, jeez, that's the ticket, tool (as in,"he is such a tool")

Thanks!
#1 - September 04, 2013, 07:04 AM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My kids don't say any of those things.

I could see a character using ONE of them, as sort of a thing that individual does (like maybe "crud"), but the rest...no. I get it that the writer is trying to avoid swearing, and it is actually true that not every teen swears. But I think today's kids use other expressions.
#2 - September 04, 2013, 07:21 AM

Having contact with boys of this age, I would suggest some alternatives:

crud, dopey, the whole shebang, geezer, cripes, jeez, that's the ticket, tool (as in,"he is such a tool")

Crud, as in, "Crud, I forget to charge my phone." Would be:"f***, I forgot to charge my phone."

Dopey, as in "That guy is so dopey, he gets lost on the way to school." "That guy is so f***ed up, he gets lost on the way to school."

"Let's just forget the whole shebang" would be "f*** it."

"Geezer" = "old f**t"

Cripes = "s***"

Jeez = "Christ"

"That's the ticket" = "sweet"

"tool" -- this might be au courant, but what I hear is "what an a**h***"

Hope this is useful! :-)
#3 - September 04, 2013, 07:30 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
The most common words I hear are "cr@p," and "(word censored)." Also, "dork" and "nerd" are still used: "He is such a dork/nerd." I thought "nerd" was cool for this tech savvy generation, but in my tween's world, a nerd is still a nerd.
 :)

The censored word rhymes with rigging, a modification of the "f" bomb. Not that I approve, just sayin'.  ; )
#4 - September 04, 2013, 07:43 AM
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:19 AM by ButterflyGirl »
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster Plus
Having contact with boys of this age, I would suggest some alternatives:

Crud, as in, "Crud, I forget to charge my phone." Would be:"f***, I forgot to charge my phone."

Dopey, as in "That guy is so dopey, he gets lost on the way to school." "That guy is so f***ed up, he gets lost on the way to school."

"Let's just forget the whole shebang" would be "f*** it."

"Geezer" = "old f**t"

Cripes = "s***"

Jeez = "Christ"

"That's the ticket" = "sweet"

"tool" -- this might be au courant, but what I hear is "what an a**h***"

Hope this is useful! :-)

:dr

#5 - September 04, 2013, 07:44 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hmmmm. I'm also not around a ton of teens, but yeah, I get the picture things are cruder than even I remember them being in the 90s. That being said, I didn't swear/cuss/whatever you call it these days, and neither did most of my friends.

Crap, heck, "what the--?", and other milder pseudo words seem to be prevalent among kids, so I can only imagine it gets worse from there. I can't bring myself to write anything stronger, though, because I don't personally use anything stronger.

As for your friend's terms, I can see using crud, jeez, and "the whole shebang" occasionally if it fits with the character. But yes, I do think the majority of words in the list sound dated to me, as well. (I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "cripes," for instance.)
#6 - September 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Sometimes I think it's easier to just leave the swear or not-really swear words and show the anger/annoyance/whatever through some small action--a facial expression, clenched fist/whatever.

Then there's always, "He swore under his breath." Or rephrase the expression from A Christmas Story about "weaving a tapestry" of obscenties.  :)
#7 - September 04, 2013, 08:33 AM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I live with two teens, and they'd never say any of these things:

Sometimes an author chooses a character to use a tweaked version of an expletive if it goes with that character's personality (not just to tone down bad language).

Example:  The mc in John Green's An Abundance of Katherines uses "fug."

#8 - September 04, 2013, 08:40 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Maryann L

OMG, LT, that is so F***unny!
Really, I don’t know that kids are as vulgar/crass as we think they are --  especially kids who read.
That said, this generation is a little more free and easy with language and many things are watered down. For instance, my kids use “crap” and “idiot” way more frequently than I would.
Crud – crap
Dopey – fool, dork
the whole shebang – everything (sorry!)
geezer – old guy
cripes – Christ
jeez – see above, God is sometimes used also “fine” and “alright” depending on the context. But Jeez works sometimes, too.
that's the ticket – nice!
tool – idiot
Trailing off happens all the time in my house. My kids don’t swear much…sarcasm, mockery and “burns” are so much more civilized!
#9 - September 04, 2013, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Is the book set in the 1950's, perchance?
#10 - September 04, 2013, 09:42 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

I'd say no to all of those (unless they're mocking the Andy Griffith show) except for "tool". Totally still in use, though [word censored] or douchebag is more prevalent.

#11 - September 04, 2013, 10:35 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Thanks, everyone! I sent a few of your responses off to my friend, including LT's hilarious translations.
#12 - September 05, 2013, 07:30 AM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Teenage boys call each other douchebags all the time.

They also say crass, insensitive things like:
"That's gay."
"You're a f****t."
"You're retarded."
#13 - September 09, 2013, 07:39 AM

Sadly you can add "mongo" as in, "What a mongo!" I had to explain to my son that this wasn't just some innocent made-up word, but most likely came from the now outdated term for someone with Down's Syndrome. As to the question of whether you can use this kind of slang, offensive as it is, I refer you to a book I finished last night: FML by Shaun Hutchinson. The title of which is itself likely offensive to a lot of folks, assuming you can translate. It was published this year by Harper Pulse, and I read it with interest but, as the agents say, didn't love it.
#14 - September 09, 2013, 09:43 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
UrbanDictionary.com has a wealth of information on slang (including "mongo"). Like any dictionary, it is not useful for figuring out which types of people frequently use which words. But, if you hear a slang word and don't understand its connotations, UrbanDictionary usually has the details in all their politically incorrect glory.
#15 - September 09, 2013, 10:23 AM

Members: