SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Butt!

Discussion started on

Thanks yet again. Butt will have to butt out. I must have a tin ear, because as one of you says, it's like trailer trash talk. Whew.

I'll work on it. I kind of like Vijaya's "Get off your caboose." Maybe something along that line.

Gatz
#31 - October 19, 2013, 08:38 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Funny how culture can effect this.  We say bum or tushie, but the reason I'm ok with booty is because both of our pediatrician a use it!  They are both french Canadian and it has never sounded a bit sexual...but maybe if an American Dr said it I'd think differently?  My son thinks it had to do with pirates.lol
Either way I think you're smart to make a change for this age.  I can't imagine telling my littles to get off their butts.  And I do think you'd limit it in schools.  Maybe a funny word, like patootie or rump? 
#32 - October 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:46 PM by bugaboo »
Krisann

I love patootie--thanks!
#33 - October 19, 2013, 09:42 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I kind of like the rhythmic sound of, "Get off your patootie and move your bootie....'
#34 - October 20, 2013, 12:07 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Lol Verla, now my kids are running around singing "get off dat patootie and shake your little booty!" 
#35 - October 20, 2013, 07:05 AM
Krisann

Dionna

I kind of like the rhythmic sound of, "Get off your patootie and move your bootie....'

Verla, this phrase made my lips do upward flips!! :grin3
#36 - October 20, 2013, 08:53 AM

Verla, that's wonderful. Thanks!
#37 - October 20, 2013, 10:39 AM

Poster Plus
Wow, I have to say, I'm really surprised by some parts of this discussion. I've never thought of "butt" as a bad word and I have no problem with my daughter saying it. But I do find "trailer trash" super-offensive. I don't think people are trash and I don't think where you live or how much money or education you have determines your worth as a human being. And while saying "get off your butt" to a small child does seem a little off to me, I wouldn't call somebody "trash" for using this very common phrase. (Used here, for instance, in an AP headline: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/46327503/#.UmQTpxDZjFI.)
#38 - October 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I agree Mara. People are not trash, no matter if they have to live in the dumps, which I've seen first hand in India. Perhaps Robert will return to modify his post.
Vijaya (who lived in a trailer for many years and never thought of herself or her neighbors as garbage)
#39 - October 20, 2013, 11:40 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Yeah . . . I'm an apartment raised kid, several of them, in many towns, who thought the trailer park across the street of one of them was quite nice, who doesn't mind the word butt in some contexts. Modification of the post may be a good thing.
#40 - October 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I agree that trailer trash is a very offensive term and hope the post is modified.  In Roberts defense, though, I think many people forget the socioeconomic implications and use "trailor trash" to mean rough or "not classy."  Obviously this doesn't make it ok, and obviously it has nothing to do with actual people who live in trailors, but the term has become so warped by use that I'm (hoping) Robert didn't mean offense.

I heard a very well-off co worker call her little one a "brat" and tell her to "shut up" the other day.  I thought that sounded extremely trashy, and economic status had nothing to do with it.
#41 - October 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:08 PM by bugaboo »
Krisann

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
We tell our kiddos to 'get your rear in gear' from time to time...
#42 - October 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
We tell our kiddos to 'get your rear in gear' from time to time...

Ooh I like that. I might start using that one! And 'move your caboose' too.
#43 - October 20, 2013, 05:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I was there with Vijaya and Anthony and lmt (hi, y'all!) and the book was a HUGE hit. I would buy it. But i loved chicken cheeks, too.

I've also bought a booger book and a fart book. Yes. I have.
I'm probably a little too crass sometimes. But I'm owning it. So sue me. ;)

Here is a phrase I've heard... "Get off your tiny heiney... and do something big!" or "If you stay on that couch any longer, you're going to turn into a cushion".

So maybe you can just make up something that means the same thing as get up and move? (I see now that others have mentioned doing that. Forgive the repeated advice)

#44 - October 20, 2013, 09:20 PM
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://flashlightpress.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I've heard kids at my school use bum and they weren't British.  "Hey, move your bum. That's my chair!"    But there are lots of other ways to encourage a lazy character to get moving:

"Your tushie's too cushy!"  "Get a move-on"  "Get off your fanny!"   are a few that come to mind, but I'll bet Gatz will come up with something fresh, funny and safe for preschoolers to use without getting moved down on the behavior chart.

#45 - October 20, 2013, 10:55 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My apologies, guys, for offending you with a figure of speech that was not intended to devalue anyone. I, too, have lived in a trailer at one time in my life and didn't think of myself or any of my neighbors as lesser human beings for doing so. It's nice to know, though, that we have so many sensitive souls among us. I deserved to be called to account for my poorly chosen words.

It's very nice of you to clarify.  Thank you! :)
#46 - October 21, 2013, 11:42 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My apologies, guys, for offending you with a figure of speech that was not intended to devalue anyone. I, too, have lived in a trailer at one time in my life and didn't think of myself or any of my neighbors as lesser human beings for doing so. It's nice to know, though, that we have so many sensitive souls among us. I deserved to be called to account for my poorly chosen words.

Robert, thank you for such a gracious apology. :)
#47 - October 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you for the gracious apology, Robert; it's what makes this place such a lovely community.
Vijaya
#48 - October 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: