SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Should it be expected...

Discussion started on

Should it be expected that, after submitting my fiction story to Highlights, it is more than likely rejected if I don't receive a bear card within 2 weeks?  It seems everyone gets a bear card in just 2 weeks!
#1 - October 20, 2013, 02:12 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I think you will make yourself crazy with thinking this way (and yes, we've all been through this stage, but you must fight through!!).  Just start writing something else to help you wait it out. :)
#2 - October 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Just my .02, but I think two weeks is, on average, too short a time to expect to hear back. Maybe some have. My response times have been more in the order of 4-5 weeks. Good luck!
#3 - October 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Maybe it will come in two weeks and a day!  :goodluck
#4 - October 20, 2013, 05:17 PM

Poster Plus
I sent something on 6/10 and didn't get a bear card until 9/16. ( Still waiting for the final answer.)  So you never know... 
#5 - October 20, 2013, 05:45 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
And some writers have gotten acceptances but never received Bear cards. (See prior discussion on Bear cards under Magazines. I couldn't get the link to paste, sorry.)

I understand your concern, though. I've had something with them for more than 2.5 months but haven't heard anything. But I'm going to take that as a good sign until I hear otherwise. It seems like the response time has maybe gotten longer, too?
#6 - October 21, 2013, 06:37 AM
Anita N. Amin
THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Thank you everyone for your responses!  And Starfish, I'll go look up that link right now, thank you! 
#7 - October 21, 2013, 06:40 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Times vary a lot, and they seem to vary even more with magazines that don't use theme lists. I agree with the advice to just give it time and concentrate on your new projects. :)
#8 - October 21, 2013, 06:41 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: