SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Blogs and Bibliographies

Discussion started on

I have just finished another NF article. Now it's on to the less fun part...the bibliography. It really shouldn't be too hard because most of my info came from the interview, but the other stuff came from my experts blog/website, where he talks about the daily activities of the bears in his research center and posts additional interviews he's given.

Question #1 - Should I cite every single post individually, or just the website, or maybe do a full bibliography for the website and then list individual post titles beneath that?

Question #2 - He sent me the transcript of an interview that was released as radio interview, but not released in written format. What are the rules for citing that?
#1 - December 29, 2013, 09:25 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Amanda Sue,

When I have bibliographies to compile, I use easybib.com. It's wonderful. And free! You enter the info you know, and it does the rest in terms of appropriate formatting. All you have to do is choose the kind of source you're citing--interview, online magazine, journal, scholarly work, website, etc.

#1--Because easybib makes bibliographies so easy, I'd cite every single interview separately.

#2--I just bet easybib has an option for citing radio interviews.

Here's the link: [size=78%]http://easybib.com/[/size]

Good luck!

Jody
#2 - December 30, 2013, 05:37 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Amanda,

As a rule, for an interview of one person, you just list the interview; the same way you would just list a book even though you use information from different pages. I think this would hold true even if you interviewed the person on more than one day. This is how I always did it for my magazine articles and I never had an editor question it.

For the radio interview transcript (per MLA Handbook), you cite it as: Last Name, First Name, interview. Title of Radio Program. Name of Radio Station, Call letters, City, date.
Example: Lennon, John, Interview. Music of the Ages. National Public Radio, WKRP, New York, 15 Dec. 1971.

Hope this is helpful--though easybib may be, well, easier.  (Modifying this to add that I totally made up the John Lennon interview and radio station call letters.)
#3 - December 30, 2013, 09:49 AM
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:51 AM by Bobi Martin »
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Members: