SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need help from 3/4th grade teachers

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am working on a chapter book and need some info on 3/4th grade class reading material.

1) If your MC was a wanna be detective, and their reading assignment just happened to be in that subject what would it be? How? If not a who, then what would it be on?
2) Do you refer to language arts class as language arts in 3rd grade or English or Reading?

Thanks!
Sharon

#1 - March 11, 2014, 01:46 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
We did a unit on mysteries when I taught third grade based on a unit of study created by Lucy Calkins.  We used a Jigsaw Jones book as an anchor text, and the kids read a lot of Boxcar Children and A-Z Mystery books.  We finished up with a day of "Detective Academy" where students learned about fingerprints, invisible ink, and stuff like that.  Great fun!

Our class schedules referred to the different components of language arts separately--we had a reading time, a writing time, and a word work (spelling and phonics) time.  But the new common core report cards this year give a composite grade for English/Language Arts.

Hope that helps!
#2 - March 11, 2014, 06:10 PM

My school breaks it up into "Literature" and "writing"
#3 - March 11, 2014, 06:13 PM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Sharon!

We refer to all of our language arts courses as our Literacy block and divide it into the following areas:   Literacy-Core Time (when all students are exposed to the grade level curriculum), Literacy - Tier Time (when instruction is further differentiated according to students' levels) and our writing block is called "Writer's Workshop."   

MVP- Love the "Detective Academy" idea!  In addition to the titles mentioned, I was also thinking of the Encyclopedia  Brown series.

Best wishes with your chapter book!

Sue
#4 - March 12, 2014, 04:13 AM
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:16 AM by Sue G. »
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
My third grader is doing his mystery unit right now. They break down the stories into parts: the initial problem, clues found, red herrings, building suspense, solution.

The kids may refer to the lessons differently than the adults. He says reading, but the school says literacy block. Grammar, spelling, vocabulary, reading, and writing are included in the block. They have reading groups and whole class lessons in which each child refers to a text with a reading level appropriate to him/herself. My son is using a Nancy Drew mystery. He's read all of them, and the Hardy Boys and each series mentioned above. Harriett the Spy gives another option with a female protagonist.
#5 - March 17, 2014, 08:00 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: