SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need Help from Brits

Discussion started on

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I am transcribing my grandfather's WWI diary and I have looked everywhere I can think to look for a term he used and I really haven't found anything.  Not sure if anyone else can help or not, but thought I would give it a try.

He is in a British Rest Camp #1 outside of Harve, France soon to go nearby to a hospital that is being built nearby. There are troops from all over. He states and I quote "the Tommies are playing klicky klick." so he went and talk to some Canadians.

I do not know if he is talking about a game or if he is talking about shooting empty rifles? any clues? I have searched but come up with strange things.
#1 - June 20, 2014, 05:53 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

I had asked a good friend of mine who is English if he knew.  I didn't expect him to do research, I just asked him casually, but he always goes above and beyond so I should have known!  No definite answer unfortunately, but here are his findings...

The guys he works with who were in the military suggested it was a game of dominoes or a game with a coin in which you throw it against the wall - nearest to the wall wins the coin. 

His 14-year-old daughter's history teacher thinks it was either the empty rifles that you mentioned, or more unusually a singing game, though he had no evidence to back this up.

The history teacher had a request.  I don't know if you would be at all open to sharing the excerpt of the text with their class, but they are studying WWI right now so this is quite timely.  The history teacher said they would love to see the excerpt if you would be willing to share it.  Please PM me if you are or may be willing to share it, and if not, that's perfectly understandable, and I hope this helped a little. 
#2 - July 04, 2014, 09:25 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Sorry for the long delay, but I have been getting my house ready for sale - is the teacher still interested in an excerpt from my Grandfather's diary? 

Someone found one reference that they believe Klick is what they are going to do when they go home.

I will be happy to send or post the information if need after such a long delay.
 :oi
#3 - August 11, 2014, 11:38 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Members: