SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hopscotch contributor copy

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I received my check for my story in the Hopscotch August issue (yay!) but not my contributor copy. Do they normally come together or separately?
#1 - August 12, 2014, 04:50 AM
Anita N. Amin
THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Member.
Poster Plus
Congrats, Starfish! I believe mine came separately when I had a story published in Fun For Kidz. If I remember correctly, the contributor copy came like a regular magazine instead of in an envelope.
#2 - August 12, 2014, 05:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congrats, Starfish!  :flowers2 I look forward to getting to read your story.  I'm like you, I've received payment for my August Hopscotch piece, but not yet the contributor copy. The same is true for the August Boys' Quest.

My guess is that with their new magazine format, they may be running a bit behind schedule. They're usually very prompt about sending out the contributor copy. Mine always comes separate from the check. Sometimes encased in plastic, and sometimes not.
#3 - August 12, 2014, 10:26 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Stacy and Ev! I'm sure the contributor copy will come soon then. Congrats on your sales, Ev!
#4 - August 13, 2014, 09:32 AM
Anita N. Amin

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I've been published many times by Bluffton, and the check and author's copy always come separately.
#5 - October 09, 2014, 08:25 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Shirley. I've admired your work in the Fun for Kidz magazines!
Yes, I did receive my contributor copy at the end of September. I'm looking forward to the November/December issue of Fun for Kidz too. Another story of mine is supposed to be published in that issue, though I never did receive an updated contract for that one so I hope they haven't changed their minds. Crossing fingers
#6 - October 09, 2014, 01:58 PM
Anita N. Amin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I've got a story coming out in the November Fun For Kidz issue too! I've not been published with them before, so am eagerly awaiting my contributor copy. . . .I guess I hoped by the end of October, since issues of other magazines typically come out a few weeks before the new month. That's not the case here? But now I know the check will come separate. Starfish, what's the title of your story? Mine is "An Owl In Your Pocket." It's a nonfiction article about the Long-whiskered Owlet, the cutest owl you will ever see! Well, if you can get to Peru and are one of the lucky ones. . . .
#7 - October 09, 2014, 05:19 PM

Poster Plus
I had a poem that was supposed to be in the December issue of Hopscotch, and was notified last month that because of the new format, they did not have room for it.  :( 
  They are holding it, hoping to use it in another issue. 
#8 - October 09, 2014, 07:32 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Oh I'm really sorry to hear that, Cindy. You must be disappointed. Hopefully they will find room for your poem in another issue soon. Thank you for sharing that they sent a notice though.

I like the new format but didn't realize they would have less room. I guess that means fewer acceptances too. It certainly feels that way. I've been getting nothing but rejections this year!

Congratulations, DKShumaker! I'll keep an eye out for your article. My short story, "The Luck of the Owl," is about a pumpkin decorating contest and how a baby owl inspires the MC's contest entry. Hope we see both pieces in print soon! :)
#9 - October 10, 2014, 06:32 AM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:17 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Oh CindyB, that is too bad. What a bummer to have an acceptance, and then have it change like that. But if they liked it I bet they find a place for it soon. They have a Birds issue in 2016 I think. Boys' Quest has a Birds issue in 2015 or 2016. I originally subbed my story for that issue, but they then notified me they were going to use it in November 2014 instead. . .

Starfish, can't wait to read your story!
#10 - October 10, 2014, 01:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Cindy, I'm really sorry about your poem. I got a similar letter from them about my puzzle that was supposed to be in the December issue. I can't find the letter right now to double check, but I was under the impression that the letter was saying that whole issue (on "Mail Call") had been removed from the line-up. I assumed it meant they were doing some rearranging of the schedule for some reason.

I could be totally wrong, of course.

On a different matter, the new format is making some significant changes to the magazines. Puzzles used to be given whole pages and are now usually 4 to a page. It'll be interesting to see how kids respond to the more cramped space to work them.

But I definitely enjoy the full color.  :yup
#11 - October 10, 2014, 07:38 PM

Poster Plus
Ev, I found my letter about the Hopscotch Dec. 14 issue, and you are right- the whole issue was removed from the line up. I read it wrong. So, now I'm wondering what theme the Dec. issue has? Did they move all the other themes up? If anyone gets a copy of December's Hopscotch, let us know what the theme is- Or what did the October issue say was the next theme?) (They usually tell on the back of the magazine.)

#12 - November 08, 2014, 05:42 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Cindy, the back of the October issue says "Unique and Unusual" will be the next theme. That theme was originally scheduled for April 2015.
#13 - November 08, 2014, 07:16 PM

Poster Plus
Interesting, that was suppose to be April, 2015. I've got a poem scheduled for that issue- so thanks, I'll be watching to see what happens.
#14 - November 09, 2014, 05:08 PM

Members: