SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Consultation with experts

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
 :salute

I have some science articles that I want to submit to a children's magazine. The contributor guidelines say that they prefer non-fiction be consulted with experts. It also adds that they encourage that the articles be reviewed by an expert.  What exactly does that mean?  Are consulted and reviewed different things?

I wrote an article and then interviewed an expert about the topic. Is that considered a consultation?  Do I have to show the expert my article so that they can comment on it?

Would really appreciate your clarification.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 
#1 - November 12, 2014, 07:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Zoraida, I've had articles where I interview experts, but have a separate expert to review the article. But it's perfectly fine if you ask for the expert whom you interviewed to review the article for accuracy.
Good luck, Vijaya
#2 - November 12, 2014, 09:20 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
What Vijaya said. Also, if your expert is unavailable, I've had great luck cold-emailing (similar to cold-calling) experts from universities all over the world. They've been so willing to review my work and provide feedback without a charge. People who have a passion for their topic are usually great at sharing their knowledge. Good luck!
#3 - November 12, 2014, 11:55 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Zoraida,  :bunny2

This is my standard method of dealing with experts for nonfiction articles:

1) Identify expert
2) Interview expert
3) Write and incorporate quotes from expert
4) Ask expert to review the completed piece for scientific accuracy

I've worked with a magazine that wanted me to interview three experts.  Other magazines don't mind if there aren't any quotes at all.  I'm thinking consult with experts means #1 - #3 and the review is considered #4.
#4 - November 12, 2014, 01:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you all so much. You've been most helpful.  :thanx

;D    One more question, if I may. Does this, also, apply to biographies and historical fiction or is it just for science articles? 

I'm really learning a lot here.  Have a lovely weekend.     :lol4
#5 - November 13, 2014, 09:03 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I would think it would apply to any genre, Zoraida, where you feel you don't have the expertise to judge yourself whether the scenario is plausible.
Good luck, Vijaya
#6 - November 14, 2014, 10:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, Vijaya.  I think this and primary sources are crucial to  non fiction. Double checking  facts, too.  I read it' s good to write about the same area to specialize and  re-use the research. I'm going to try that, too.

Gracias. That' s thanks in Spanish.
#7 - November 14, 2014, 12:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
De nada, Zoraida. I always end up doing ten times the research I need to do and then there are all those interesting nuggets, so it's nice to be able to re-use it for a different article.

Vijaya (who is picking up Spanish from her kiddos)
#8 - November 14, 2014, 01:25 PM

Members: