SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for picture book with green theme

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hello,

I just finished 3 fiction picture book manuscripts with green themes.  I would like to read all the PB I can that are green. ie   My favorites are  "On Meadowview Street" and "The Lorax"

Is there a publisher that looks favorably on green themed books?

Thanks so much,

Rob
#1 - November 29, 2014, 11:24 AM
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:37 AM by robert-carter »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
It depends on whether your manuscript is fiction or nonfiction. Most publishers of nonfiction pbs are looking for green themes. BUT--and this is a huge one, you'll need a unique slant on the topic. (I use the Amazon Advanced Search option to do preliminary research on what's already been published.) Also, if it's nonfiction, try to get an expert or two to vet your work, and possibly recommend it.

If it's fiction and has a lively plot, that would be appealing too. Go to your local independent bookstore and look at other, similar books. See who published them. That should give you a list. It's impossible for us to tell you specifically without knowing more about the manuscripts.
#2 - November 29, 2014, 03:29 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Betsy's given you great advice. There's quite a glut of "green" PBs out there (including mine), so your manuscripts will need a new twist to help them standout to an agent or editor.

I second Besty's suggestion of checking with your local bookseller or ask the children's librarian in your town for the most current "green" PBs on the shelves.

#3 - November 29, 2014, 04:18 PM
THESE THINGS COUNT! award-winning nature series Albert Whitman
TWIGS (YA)  Merit Press
www.alisonashleyformento.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thank you so much for your help.  Oh, yes I should have said, they are fiction.

I will check out Amazon Advanced Search right now.

I have found a couple sites that list "The Best" green PBs and have started my list.    I do think that my manuscripts are very unique.   ::-)  I was very careful not to be preachy and at the same time was able to get some strong ideas across.  My local group of SCBWI has been very helpful and encouraging... I think I am ready to let my manuscripts out into the world... well almost. (wink, wink)

Thank you again for all your help, (This was my first post) 

Have a great weekend,

Rob
#4 - November 30, 2014, 07:12 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hi Rob try "The Curious Garden" by Peter Brown
#5 - December 05, 2014, 06:41 AM

Members: