SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

ODYSSEY and MUSE to Merge

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi there,

Got an email today from Johanna Arnone at ODYSSEY. ODYSSEY and MUSE will be merging (like ASK and APPLESEEDS). The ODYSSEY brand will be dropped, and the new publication will go forward at MUSE (not sure with which issue this happens). Johanna will stay on as the editor.

Johanna probably won't solicit new queries until summer as they sort everything out.

More as I know it!

Kirsten
#1 - March 09, 2015, 08:48 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thank you, Kirsten, for sharing this news. I'm sad so many magazines are folding or being combined with others. I know it's really hard financially for print publications to stay afloat these days, so I understand, but it still makes me sad.
#2 - March 10, 2015, 09:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I know, Ev. I was really sorry to lose the ODYSSEY brand. That magazine gave me my first assignment. Still, I am glad they are keeping Johanna on. She's great to work with.
#3 - March 10, 2015, 12:51 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I think they should name the combined magazine FUSE.    :hug   

I received the same email.  Apparently they will be looking for more "discovery content" and "a wider, deeper pool of content."  I'm not sure what that means.  I'm speculating that MUSE will contain more digital articles than it currently does.  It will be interesting to see if MUSE will have themes in the future.

I didn't realize ASK and APPLESEEDS had merged.  They are still separate on the website.
#4 - March 11, 2015, 06:10 PM
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:12 PM by lrzajac »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I like your title suggestion, Linda! How creative!
#5 - March 11, 2015, 06:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks, KWlarson! Any body know how issues are being planned? What will happen to the queries we already sent?  :help2 :help2
#6 - March 27, 2015, 01:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :getmail   If my understanding is correct, they won't be taking any new queries until late summer.  Queries originally intended for ODYSSEY will be considered for future publication.  Some manuscripts submitted for April, May/June, and July/August issues of ODYSSEY will be adapted for use in upcoming issues of MUSE.   :dogwalk :bunny2 :bunny2 :bunny2  :bunny2 :bunny2
#7 - March 27, 2015, 02:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think they should name the combined magazine FUSE.    :hug   

Please suggest this to them!!! It's a great idea.
Vijaya
#8 - March 27, 2015, 02:50 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
:getmail   If my understanding is correct, they won't be taking any new queries until late summer.  Queries originally intended for ODYSSEY will be considered for future publication.  Some manuscripts submitted for April, May/June, and July/August issues of ODYSSEY will be adapted for use in upcoming issues of MUSE.   :dogwalk :bunny2 :bunny2 :bunny2  :bunny2 :bunny2

Thanks, Irzajac! So, the number of articles will reduce and the word count will also reduce. Are they expecting a middle-school level writing now? I am having some difficulty in understanding how they are managing this fusion and how it affects us as writers. Thanks!
#9 - March 27, 2015, 06:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I would imagine the number of articles they accept for the joint venture will decline, but they may add more digital articles.  As for word count, I think we have to wait and see.  I believe the current word count is lower for Odyssey than it is for Muse, so if they were to adapt an Odyssey-bound article to Muse it may have to be expanded.  The publications are being merged because their target age is about the same.  I think the bottom line is that we have to wait for the dust to settle to see what their new guidelines will be.  :sailor  :flowers2 :flowers2
#10 - March 27, 2015, 06:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks, Irzajac. Hope someone will share the information as they receive it.  :stars3 Thank you!
#11 - March 29, 2015, 10:26 PM

By the way, it is extremely unlikely that the magazine's name would change, since MUSE is a known brand.

The editor, Johanna, is on maternity leave, so most changes won't occur immediately.
#12 - March 30, 2015, 06:10 AM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I didn't think so and I figured you'd find this thread eventually.  Thanks for chiming in.   :exactly
#13 - March 30, 2015, 10:59 AM

Members: