SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Pockets contract

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
 :badideaI recently received an acceptance and a contract for a poem I submitted to pockets. After reviewing the contract (specifically the Rights Granted and Ownership portions - for anyone who's familiar with the Pockets contract), I see that I retain copyright in the work but that the publisher gets exclusive rights for one year after publication. Does this mean that I can't do anything with the piece for one year? I'm less concerned about what rights I'm giving them (the contract seems fair), and more concerned about unwittingly violating the contract down the road.

Thanks!
Amy
#1 - April 28, 2015, 05:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Congrats, Amy!

That's my understanding--you can't do anything with the poem for one year. Someone else may know better. I bet Pockets would be happy to answer this question for you with a quick email.

Good luck!

Jody
#2 - April 28, 2015, 07:27 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Yes, that's what I understood, too. I had a story published in Jan., so I'm just keeping it in my file until next Jan., and working on other stuff.

Congratulations! Pockets is a fun magazine.
#3 - April 28, 2015, 07:54 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Okay; sounds good. Thanks to you both for the replies. Appreciate it!
#4 - April 28, 2015, 03:21 PM

Members: