SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When Interviewing and Expert for a COBBLESTONE Theme

Discussion started on

I am submitting to an upcoming COBBLESTONE theme ("National Parks and Recreation"). My article will include a brief interview (i.e. just a couple of quotes) from an expert or two. The article I am writing is related to my day job and the experts would be colleagues, in other words, people who I am  certain would speak to me. But I feel strange asking them if they are willing to be interviewed before I even know whether the magazine is interested in the article. Is it alright for me to mention in my query that I would interview experts from two organizations with whom I have relationships, and to confirm the specific interviews afterwards? Within each organization, there are several people who would be great interview candidates, so I feel really comfortable that I could make these interviews happen.
#1 - April 24, 2015, 03:42 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Christine,

I normally identify a specific interviewee rather than just an organization in my query. Anyone could say, "I'm going to interview someone from NASA." However, if you identify a source in a specific department, it shows you've really done your homework. With that said, your sources and even your outline may change a little bit when you get the go ahead from the editor. If the specific person you interview changes, I don't think that's an issue.

Finally, if these people are personal friends, I don't think you have to confirm with them at this time. I'd wait until the article is assigned. When I included my husband's name in a query, I certainly didn't ask him first.  I knew he'd do the interview. ;)

Good luck!

Kirsten
#2 - April 24, 2015, 04:43 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Kristen - Thank you so much for your response! I meant to say thanks earlier. Your advice made a lot of sense.

A follow up question: Do you normally use formal citation formatting for an interview, or more casually list something like: "Personal interview with Jane Smith, Director of ABC Arts Organization, to be completed summer 2015."?
#3 - April 30, 2015, 01:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Christine,

In my bibliography, I adapt the formal citation. Instead of a date, I put "planned, not yet conducted."

Hope that helps!

Kirsten
#4 - May 01, 2015, 06:11 AM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Thanks for all your help!
#5 - May 01, 2015, 08:44 AM

Members: