SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Subbing Historical Fiction to COBBLESTONE?

Discussion started on

I have an idea (and a rough draft) of a historical fiction piece for an upcoming COBBLESTONE theme. The guidelines say to send a cover letter, outline, and bibliography, and then they later specify to "send queries," not manuscripts. This is a dumb question but does anyone who has written for them in the past know if those guidelines really apply to fiction? I only ask because so frequently mags want queries of NF but full ms's of fiction.

The piece is a short series of letters between cousins. I was planning to sub the first two letters and then an outline of what will be unfolded, plus my bibliography.
#1 - May 26, 2015, 12:02 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm not sure if they publish historical fiction, Christine. I haven't seen it in the magazines, which are pretty tightly themed, and they don't mention fiction in the guidelines. Cricket and Spider DO publish historical fiction, so you could try them first with the completed work.

I recently subbed a historical fiction to Spider -- no word yet! There aren't too many markets for historical fiction shorts.
#2 - May 26, 2015, 03:16 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Oh, good to know! It does say "authentic historic and biographical fiction" in the guidelines though. I noticed in copies I looked at that there were not other articles using a "letter" format.

Good luck on your story! In case it is helpful to know, the ASK submissions blog, they recently mentioned an interest in receiving more historical fiction. I don't have anything for that age group though.
#3 - May 26, 2015, 04:26 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'll check it out, Christine. If it's in the guidelines, it's worth a shot! All they can say is no.

Good luck with Cobblestone -- I'll keep my fingers crossed on my Carus subs too.
#4 - May 26, 2015, 04:44 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Christine, your plan sounds solid, so the editor can see your style.
I've sold fiction to Odyssey with a query/outline, but I'd been working with the editor on for a couple of years prior so she knew my style. She only had room for one fiction per issue so competition was tight for that slot.

Good luck with your subs, Christine and Kell. HF shorts are hard to place but thank goodness for Carus, Highlights. I seem to remember that History Magazine did HF but I might be misremembering ... I used to be so much more on top of this when I was teaching and getting my students to submit. I've turned into a lazybones since I stopped. And Focus on the Family does Biblical HF.

Okay, I'll stop rambling. Yay for HF. And the fine art of letter-writing :)
Vijaya
#5 - May 26, 2015, 06:26 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I know the guidelines mention fiction, but I've never seen a fiction piece in Cobblestone, and I've read every issue since September 2011. I write their teachers' guides. I'm not saying don't try. Always try. Just know that going in.

I'm trying to remember if I've seen letters. They have certainly printed excerpts of actual letters, but I don't recall a full article. Even if they don't like your version, they may ask you to write a more traditional article on your theme. Keep an open mind, and good luck.
#6 - May 31, 2015, 08:57 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I know the guidelines mention fiction, but I've never seen a fiction piece in Cobblestone, and I've read every issue since September 2011. I write their teachers' guides. I'm not saying don't try. Always try. Just know that going in.

I'm trying to remember if I've seen letters. They have certainly printed excerpts of actual letters, but I don't recall a full article. Even if they don't like your version, they may ask you to write a more traditional article on your theme. Keep an open mind, and good luck.

Thanks, Debbie! That is great information and advice. I had an epiphany for presenting my piece as a traditional NF story so I might sub both (if I have time to put both queries together).

Am I right that I've seen folk stories in somewhat recent issues of COBBLESTONE, or am I thinking of one of their other mags?
#7 - June 02, 2015, 11:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It must be another magazine. They have used one song, America the Beautiful, as an issue theme. The lyrics were given, and each article explained a line or two.
#8 - June 08, 2015, 07:22 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: