SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Logo Design

Discussion started on

So, I have been told by friends that my logo is outdated and I should think about updating it.  I've been using it for about 4 years now and don't see any issues. From an artist's point of view, does the attached logo seem kind of outdated?

Also, I have been shopping around for a new logo and the first price quote I got was $1000 for a new logo design and tag line.  Seems kind of expensive, based on what I've read...

Any suggestions?  Should I keep my current logo or go for a new one?

Thanks

#1 - June 04, 2015, 08:49 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I can't view the attachment. (FWIW - I charge $200-400 for a logo.)
#2 - June 05, 2015, 05:05 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wendy, it should be visible now.

The corded mouse looks slightly outdated to me as so much these days is wireless or touch screen.
#3 - June 05, 2015, 09:04 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
It does look outdated, in part because of the issue Artemesia mentioned. $1000 is a pretty reasonable price for a logo for a business - this is a graphic that represents your entire company and will get heavy use in your promotions. Something like that has a lot of value.
#4 - June 05, 2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone!  When I was first starting out, I had this logo created by a friend.  I guess it was nice for being free :)
Now, that I have a little bit of revenue coming in, I would like a professional logo created.  The $1000 price quote was from a marketing company and they have done some great work in the past.  Based on Anthony's feedback, I'm thinking about moving forward.

Thanks again everyone!
#5 - June 05, 2015, 10:33 AM

Poster Plus
Now that I can see it, I have to agree. It looks outdated.
#6 - June 05, 2015, 01:55 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Mbaker,

I do have to agree with the others and I admire that you take everyone's honest opinion so openly. I agree that is a pretty good logo for it being free but I just looked at your service and I feel like you deserve a new logo. Just wanted to mention, at a very small (5 person) company I worked at previously, we invested in a new logo for around that price or maybe slightly higher and it was so worth it. I hope you experience similar results!
#7 - June 05, 2015, 02:29 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Another vote for outdated and for paying for a new professional logo. Hope you love the new one!
#8 - June 05, 2015, 02:52 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Thanks everyone! I'll post the new logo after it's been completed in the next few weeks...
#9 - June 05, 2015, 07:25 PM

Self Published Author-Illustrator.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I agree with Anthony. I don't do much in the way of logo design at the moment as I shift my focus to writing and illustrating, but my base price is $800. I'd happily charge up to several hundred more depending on several factors.
#10 - June 05, 2015, 09:51 PM

Here is my new Logo.  What do you guys think?  Should I keep the tagline in 2 different colors, like it currently is?  Or should I update it to a single color, such as Black or Grey?  Thanks for your feedback!
#11 - June 26, 2015, 01:18 PM

Poster Plus
Nice update. Leave the colors as is or choose just one color - I'd go with the blue.
#12 - June 26, 2015, 03:01 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Love the new logo! It looks great with the 2 colors, but would also look good with grey/black for the tagline if you felt it wasn't clear in the smaller type. BTW, "Book smart." looks like a different blue than the rest of the logo. If it is (and not just my computer screen), is there a reason it's a different blue? Could it be switched to the same blue if you want to keep the colors?
#13 - June 26, 2015, 10:03 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Love the new logo! It looks great with the 2 colors, but would also look good with grey/black for the tagline if you felt it wasn't clear in the smaller type. BTW, "Book smart." looks like a different blue than the rest of the logo. If it is (and not just my computer screen), is there a reason it's a different blue? Could it be switched to the same blue if you want to keep the colors?

Thanks Wendy & Stephanie for your feedback! 

I would like to keep the 2 colors for the tag line.  I just wasn't sure if it's a good idea because most of the sites out there seem to keep their tag line in a single color...

Stephanie, regarding the different color blue for the tag line.  Yes, that was a mistake.  Thanks for pointing it out, I never would have figured it out!  My eye's aren't that sharp. :)

#14 - June 27, 2015, 07:32 AM

Members: