SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Continuity question

Discussion started on

Hi. I'd like to hear some opinion and tips on the best ways to illustrate with continuity to the story without repeating the same layout compositions.

This children's story is written and I'm designing and illustrating the book myself.

As I am working on my roughs and composing each spread as individual units with the designated text area, I'm keeping track of the stories flow and how each spread plays visually to the next spread.

From the initial reading of the original manuscript (that has since been modified several times) I find that I had pre-visualized each image. As I continue, the process becomes more malleable and some visual ideas have been abandoned for others that I feel will work more smoothly.

This story takes place in a pumpkin patch and I am trying to avoid repetitive images of pumpkins lying about on the vines.

By changing around the perspective and pushing the point of view as it pertains to the story, does a point arise where the change in perspective can become distracting to the reader? I am trying to avoid appearing as if visual perspective is changing for no particular reason. Often placing text areas into negative spaces, but sometimes reversing text out of dark areas on the backs of characters.

Also, as I am contemplating the idea of self-publishing as a Print-on-Demand, I hear Create Space is highly recommended for trade novels and such, but how do they work when it comes to a children's picture book? I am planning an 10" X 8" wide format with a full color bleed. 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#1 - August 19, 2015, 03:28 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Before beginning roughs, start with thumbnail sketches. Work out the flow of pages across the book here before getting into details. A change in perspective is a good way to break up page similarity, but so is moving between panoramic view to close up view. But the important point is to not do it willy-nilly, but to make it match the narrative of the text so it isn't a distraction.

Many illustrators have large blank areas in their studios where they can put all the pages up together to make sure they are working with each other across the whole of the book. Remember, the book isn't a bunch of separate images but rather a series of related ones. More like a movie than a group of single photos. You are the director.

Thumbnails from one of my books: http://wendymartinillustration.com/wordpress/rabbits-song-rough-thumbnail-layout/
#2 - August 20, 2015, 05:45 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Excellent advice, Wendy! Thank you! :)
#3 - August 31, 2015, 01:22 PM

Members: