SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Surface Pro 3

Discussion started on

Hey guys

Had one of these fall into my possession and I thought it would make a nice alternative to the Cintiq for when I want to go portable. However, I'm really struggling to get used to drawing on it and was wondering if anyone has some tips.

Particularly, I'm finding the pen in Photoshop to be jittery and not give good lines. I think it might have to do with the smoothness of the screen and perhaps there's less pressure options. I just can't draw nice lines on it. I tried the LN plugin and I think it completely borked my copy of Photoshop.

On that, I'm using CS6, mainly because I get it free from work (which also supplied the tablet). Anyone using CC on a tablet and, if so, would you say it's a worthwhile upgrade?

Usually I'd Google all this stuff, but for some reason I can't seem to find useful information on using the SP3 as an art tablet. There's a few blogs around, but nothing I would say is comprehensive. Thought I'd check in here to see if a few illustrators use it.

I did install Toolbar Creator which is pretty good, I've made a bunch of layouts but can't settle on one.

Interested in hearing others' experiences on these and whether I should stick with it or give up the portable dream (until I can convince work to buy a Companion  :running)
#1 - September 06, 2015, 03:18 AM

Check out this video, especially around 1min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wiD332d6mA
#2 - September 28, 2015, 11:02 AM

That is a good video DW.

Luke W

I have read that the Wacom Bamboo Feel Stylus helps with the jittery lines.  Though that pen does not have an eraser like the pro pen that comes with the Surface and other wacom tablets. :/
#3 - November 06, 2015, 09:29 AM

New!
I don't know if that would work. I actually didn't realise when I bought it, but unlike the Pro 1/2, the Pro 3 doesn't use a Wacom display. When I get it back (I lent it to a student for a week) I might see if the Cintiq pen works on it.

I did find upgrading to Photoshop CC made life a lot easier (was on CS before) but I barely use the Pro, preferring to stick to my Cintiq.

Maybe I'll buy a Companion with next year's budget  :running
#4 - November 06, 2015, 03:42 PM
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:00 PM by LukeW »

Members: