SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

So close, just need to insert text. Help?

Discussion started on

Hello all,
I am new to this board and new to illustrating, but enjoying both. I was recently picked up by an author to illustrate her self published PB. Things are going great, we both love the book, we have a printer (local), and I've finished all the illustrations.

Originally we were going to print through Ingram Spark, but as they raised their prices we are now using a local printer, which can better accommodate some odd things in the book, like pages with perforation. Thing is, I am lost on adding the text onto the pages. I've looked pretty hard on the internet, but to no avail, so hopefully someone can help.

I have been using photoshop to add on the text (Bookman old style font) but our printer warned that photoshop can make text a little fuzzy? Is photoshop okay to use? I'm not really in the position to buy another software. Adding the text in photshop feels nice and looks good onscreen, but will it print okay? The text and illustrations are at 300 dpi, and I'm saving them as pdfs. Can anyone offer any insight?

Another question. Single page spot illustrations are alright, but obviously for full bleed, and two page spreads I'm going to need to enlarge the drawings slightly past 8x10. That's fine and easy, but if I'm adding 16 pt font on something slightly larger than 8x10 won't the text be slightly larger than on the other pages? Again, this is photoshop specific. The same goes for adding some space in the gutter of two page spreads, won't the text be larger, as the canvas size is bigger?

Also, is there a particular way to duplicate the 1/16 of an inch within the gutter for the two page spreads?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. Everything is so close to coming together, but I just don't have a clue on if it is okay to add text in photoshop, and if not, what an alternative is. A big thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
#1 - January 23, 2016, 02:03 PM

Daughter of The King
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I am sorry. I don't know anything about this. I hope someone will soon contact you with some helpful information.  :umm
#2 - January 23, 2016, 08:00 PM
Creative blessings to you ~

www.trinegrillo.com

Thanks anyways!
#3 - January 24, 2016, 07:32 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
aenillustrate, I wonder if you might not get better response to this on the illustration board--would you like me to move it and see?
#4 - January 24, 2016, 07:52 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Marissa Doyle- Yes please!
#5 - January 24, 2016, 08:16 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
It's been a long time since i did any professional graphic design work and things may have changed, so take this with a grain of salt.

First of all, most of the things you are describing are not the job of the illustrator, unless you signed a contract saying you are also the designer. Your author should have also hired a book designer. I would keep this in mind for next time.

Stock fonts on PS are not meant for print. They are screen fonts, they are bitmap files made of pixels which is why they are not crisp for printing. You have to buy, or possibly find a free font, that is a print font. Print fonts are vector graphics, which are scalable and therefore crisp when printing. Here is a link with more info.  http://www.serviceprinters.com/help/design/fonts.html You would then provide the printer with a copy of the print font files.

Next, the pages that are bleeds should have been illustrated with a bleed, (an extra maybe 1/8-1/4 inch all the way around. Enlarging after the fact is not ideal, but if you have to do it this way, enlarge it before placing the text.

You really should be using a program like Adobe InDesign to do the layout and place the text. You can try it free for 30 days, (and after that there is a monthly subscription service which i think is $20 per month for one program) which should get you through this project. I recommend doing the tutorials.

As for the gutter with two page spreads, no. There is no way to duplicate that. In the design stage you would make sure your composition has nothing important right in the gutter, like a character's face, because elements are always going to be lost a bit in the gutter. You can also try to plan for a double spread to fall as a natural spread (there may be one or more depending on the method of gathering pages), which is a place where one single sheet of paper spans the whole spread (often the middle of the book).

I hope I covered everything! Good luck!
#6 - January 24, 2016, 08:57 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Thank you! I will look into using indesign and buying a vector font. If I used a font through illustrator wouldn't it by vector? I'm not positive as I have limited experience with illustrator.

As for the gutter and two page spreads, none of my illustrations have details near the middle, but the printer has instructed to overlap the inside edge of the illustrations by 1/16th of an inch. Seems a little odd to me, but there it is.
#7 - January 24, 2016, 09:43 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Well, I haven't used Illustrator since about 2003, but I wouldn't think so. The thing with print fonts is you normally purchase them, which gives you the license to use them for print work. Screen fonts are more like a preview. When you send a document to a printer, the layout program uses screen fonts and low res image previews like placeholders (or the document would be far too large). So you'd need to send three types of files: the layout file, the high res image files (which the program links to, so be careful that when you save you don't move or change the file or it breaks the link), and the print font files.

This is why I said your author really should have hired a book designer. This stuff isn't obvious if you don't know it, and you'll end up having a really hard time with the printer. Back before I was trained in design an employer at a charitable organization I worked at said to me "you're good at art and computers, you can design the community business directory we're printing." So I had to muddle through the process myself using non-industry standard programs, and having the printer get really frustrated and angry with me because I had no idea what any of this was. I'd save you that experience if I could. (It was that made me decide I wanted to learn graphic design tho)

As I said, I don't do this type of work anymore, so maybe there's a different process I don't know about. I make digital dummies for submission purposes, but they aren't meant to be printed.
#8 - January 24, 2016, 11:10 AM

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
As for the gutter and two page spreads, none of my illustrations have details near the middle, but the printer has instructed to overlap the inside edge of the illustrations by 1/16th of an inch. Seems a little odd to me, but there it is.

Did you do each page of the double spreads separately and not as one whole image? If that is the case then this makes sense. The overlap is basically trapping, if I get what he's asking you to do. This makes sure there's not a minuscule white line between the two images in case of slight printer misalignment.
#9 - January 24, 2016, 11:13 AM

@cynmarko

Once again, thank you.

You really clarified text for me, I'm about to go talk to my printer and author about it.

Yeah, It's not ideal for me to be going through the process of figuring this all out, but I'm always happy to learn new things. I just downloaded the free trial of Indesign, and goodness, what was I thinking trying to do all this in photoshop? Luckily, Indesign seems very intuitive to use, and there are lots of tutorials online at my disposal.

Figured out the gutter situation too. My author accidentally sent the printer the double spreads split in half, even though they were drawn as one, so overlap isn't actually necessary.
#10 - January 24, 2016, 12:03 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh good! I'm so glad things are getting figured out!

Best of luck with this!
#11 - January 24, 2016, 12:24 PM

@cynmarko

Dionna

:goodpost
#12 - January 24, 2016, 01:23 PM

Members: