SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is There A Character With This Name?

Discussion started on

I've Googled my little fingers off and nowhere have I found a character by the name of Princess Fonsie in literature, movies, etc.

I keep getting a nagging feeling, though  :poke...yes, there is...yes, there is...yes, there is....

Princess Fonsie--anyone?
#1 - February 07, 2016, 06:31 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I only know Fonzie, who was no princess.
#2 - February 07, 2016, 10:46 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Ditto what Julie said. I'd avoid using Princess Fonsie Nancy. :agree :winter :frosty :exactly :snowman
#3 - February 08, 2016, 05:38 AM

:thanx

Google kept asking if I really meant Fonzie, not FonSie.
#4 - February 08, 2016, 06:39 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Fonsie is short for Alfonso, a boy's name that means ready for battle. Does this suit your princess?
#5 - February 08, 2016, 08:56 AM
www.Facebook.com/MythRiderBook
- 4RV Publishing, April 2015
NO MORE MR. DAWDLE (Caramel Tree, April 2015)
UNGLUED (Caramel Tree, June 2015)

Nope. She's a brat who is saved by a peasant girl.

Not married to the name.

The meaning begs another question, though.

We do look at giving names that mean something, but should they always live up to the actual definition in PBs?

Fonsie, for a girl, struck me as...fluffy.
#6 - February 08, 2016, 09:34 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Seems like what the name "sounds like" is at least as important as the actual meaning. I recently finished C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters and the names crack me up...Slumtrimpet, Glubose, Slubgob, Toadpipe and Triptweeze.
#7 - February 08, 2016, 09:52 PM

I can't even read those names without tripping over myself, much less my tongue reading them aloud.  :grin3

#8 - February 08, 2016, 11:33 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I love princess stories and have never heard of a Princess Fonsie. *shrug* I say go for it if you love it!
#9 - April 07, 2016, 07:36 PM

I love the name. Total fun.

Ree
#10 - April 08, 2016, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the support, Jennifer and Ree.

And Jennifer: Must. Have. That. Chair.
#11 - April 08, 2016, 07:20 AM

Just chiming in here, probably without any significance, but one thing to consider is that in modern society I reckon almost any name is relevant these days. People call their kids these days. I have worked with kids named Promise, Precious, Happiness, Raynbow and Chariot. All very vivid but impossible at the best of times to remain straight-faced when beckoning a Raynbow across a busy childcare setting. I guess what I'm saying is that anything goes these days!
Alfina as a female alternative springs to mind, for some reason.
#12 - April 08, 2016, 10:43 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
If you like the name, but are concerned at all with a similarity to The Fonz, maybe spell it differently. Fawnsy, for example.
#13 - April 08, 2016, 12:59 PM

Poster Plus
If you like the name, but are concerned at all with a similarity to The Fonz, maybe spell it differently. Fawnsy, for example.

That's exactly what I was thinking, only my variation (Fonsey) isn't as clever as Ann's...and I like the irony of a brat with a name that connotes a gentle deer.

#14 - April 08, 2016, 03:52 PM

Fawnsy...Fawnsie...Fawnzie...pretty good. I'm diggin' it. :star2 Funny that I was part of the Happy Days/Fonzie generation but not once thought of Fonzie when thinking Fonsie might be an issue.

:curtsy :thanx
#15 - April 08, 2016, 04:35 PM

Thunderingelephants, missed your post somehow.

The names you mentioned bring to mind the days of old...the hippie days. Peace, Charity, Summer, Sunshine....and can't forget Moon Unit Zappa.
#16 - April 08, 2016, 04:45 PM

Did you hear about the "infamous" case of Talluladoesthehulafromhawaii?
She was a young girl named that and ridiculed for it so much that she was taken into the care of the state and placed with foster care then adoption and given a name of her choice.
To me, that is definitely irresponsible, but also a separate issue. Except to add this article. It makes interesting reading, in some respects.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7522952.stm :huh
#17 - April 09, 2016, 04:15 AM

I've been sitting here deleting every comment I've made, having read the article. Thorny topic. Funny thing, though, is that it IS a topic.

#18 - April 09, 2016, 06:17 AM

Poster Plus
Interesting article! My new go-to character name might just have to be Egnorwiddle. After all, s/he is cool with it and seems to enjoy being called "Eggy."

(I can empathize with those who don't like their names; my first is uncommon and maiden name is a food product  :burger  , so I was teased an awful lot as a child. In fact, I was even one of the audience members for a 1988 taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" - an episode about people who hate their names. I never had reason to speak, though, because I found myself so grateful that my name wasn't one of the others! For them, their names were a much bigger burden than mine was for me. Plus, I grew into my first and took my husband's last....)

#19 - April 09, 2016, 10:31 AM

My original name wasn't bad; I just didn't care for it. You do have to wonder, though, why a parent would strap a child with unforgiving names.

***Upcoming comment would have a PG flavor to it if I didn't omit the actual name***

I found a name in the phone book, years ago, that made me want to  :frypan anyone who would name a child that, at least in the states.

That said, co-workers and I used to prank each other a lot. I needed to get even with a (new-ish) guy who made the announcements via the P.A. system in a very busy public place, and he was uber self-conscious how he sounded and terrified about making mistakes.

Since he'd suspect it was a joke if it was in my unique handwriting and/or I handed it to him, I had someone else write the phone book name on paper and hand it to him, wherein they told him to call the individual to the main office, his family was waiting. (In public announcements requesting an individual, you have to say the name, state the message, lather, rinse, repeat.)

Poor guy. He begged someone else to make the announcement. No one would, so he practiced and practiced saying the name, and s p o k e   s u p e r   s l o w when he finally felt comfortable enough saying the name. BUT, he only said it once. He got it right, but it still sounded WRONG (as evidenced by everyone's reactions).

#20 - April 09, 2016, 11:44 AM

Is this any worse than me creating a character Patsy Swine? Sadly, I have discovered that Swine is actually a surname. Poor sods, really. However, I am sticking to my character name. After all, there are at three songs named "The Power Of Love". All horrid, in my opinion. That's probably because I can remember them all vividly and bought at least one of them! :whistle
#21 - April 10, 2016, 09:41 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Arona: The "Once Upon a Time" chair is in Kensington Gardens. As in London, England. Good luck. ;)

thunderingelephants: That is a crazy story! 'Truth being stranger than fiction,' and all that...
#22 - April 10, 2016, 02:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
This discussion reminds me of a name I heard about in high school. Some parents in Sweden named their son Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 as a protest against a national law restricting the names parents were allowed to give their kids. (They pronounced the name "Albin.") Can't find the original article I read about it at the time, but it's in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law_in_Sweden

#23 - April 10, 2016, 02:50 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Melissa: you actually trust Wikipedia? Brave lady.
I suppose it is down to parenting and their choice of names. However, I reckon most people knowingly inflict those names on the offspring which makes me wonder their sanity.
On the other hand, that last name may be valid. Some cultures do that kind of thing.
I would hate to see they abbreviate that on a passport!
#24 - April 11, 2016, 03:43 AM

Poster Plus
They pronounced the name "Albin."

:lol3
#25 - April 11, 2016, 05:41 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I know parents who named their daughter Layla and they said that the delivery room staff serenaded her with the Eric Clapton song, "Layla." Nice, but I hope she isn't teased endlessly like that when she's a teenager.
#26 - April 11, 2016, 11:29 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

:uhuh
:lol3
Can't help thinking of those wretched raccoons!
#27 - April 11, 2016, 01:47 PM

Members: