SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submittable Status

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I have several poetry submissions out to Highlights and Cricket publications via Submittable.  My earlier submissions (from March through early April) moved from "Received" to "In Progress" within hours, but everything submitted in the last few weeks has remained at "Received."  Is that normal?  Do they only consider a handful of submissions from a single person at one time, or are they backed up and perhaps have stopped looking at new submissions?

Just curious and wondering if I should hold off on sending anything new. Thanks!   :grin3
#1 - April 28, 2016, 05:10 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I don't know, but I'm guessing they review in batches. I have a Cricket Media submission "In Progress" now, but sometimes they seem to take forever to get there. I've also had things go from "In Progress" to "Declined" very fast, so staying "In Progress" means that at least you're in the wheelhouse...
#2 - April 28, 2016, 08:39 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Thanks, Kell.  Several of my Highlights submissions actually moved to "In Progress" today, right after I posted here, so I think you're right about them reviewing in batches.  I've gotten a couple of quick Rejections so far, so I'm happy to stay In Progress for as long as needed!
#3 - April 28, 2016, 08:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hello All! I was wondering if there is a way to follow up on submissions via Submittable for mss sent via Submittable? Or do we need to follow up through snail mail? I've had a sub out since 3/17/16. It went to "IN PROGRESS" one week later and it's still sitting there. I'd like to follow up, any suggestions or info you have would be greatly appreciated.
#4 - June 13, 2016, 04:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hi TMarie,

I'd wait another three months before following up unless you submitted with a specific issue in mind. Sometimes in progress submissions wait until they've put an entire issue together. As far as I know, you can't follow up via Submittable. Check the company websites for how to follow up or report issues with Submittable. Some companies have these. If they don't, you may need to use snail mail.
#5 - June 19, 2016, 09:40 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi,

I can offer my perspective as a Fiction Reader for a literary journal that uses submittable. I'm a reader, so I'm just giving the first look at a piece and a Yes/No recommendation to the editors. I have a backlog of about 100 submissions, and personally, I too review them in batches when I have a chunk of time. As we get closer to the publication deadline I read more frequently. In-Progress is a good step to be, you're still under consideration! Good luck waiting (the worst part of the publishing process!)
#6 - June 20, 2016, 07:04 AM
Lisa Katzenberger
@FictionCity
www.lisakatzenberger.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
The way publications use Submittable seems to vary widely. I've had some submissions go to "In Progress" right away and stay there for 9 months and counting. I have one ms. that was accepted and will be published soon, but on Submittable it's still listed as "Received." So I try not to read too much into the categories!
#7 - June 23, 2016, 02:02 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 I'd give Highlights some time. They can take a while to respond. I tend to avoid checking on my submissions because a watched pot never boils. Today, I did look at them, so here's my question:

I can see all my submissions (queries to one magazine, an article to another and a MS submission), can these folks see all of my stuff or only what has been sent to them? 
(It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering)  :hi5  :running :bunnyshake
#8 - June 27, 2016, 09:20 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Thank you everyone for your time and info. I will hold out a bit longer before I snail SQ, until then, I guess I'm on the fence! And, Irzajac, from what I heard they can only see what you have subbed to them, and not all your submissions to others.
#9 - June 28, 2016, 10:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks, Marie. That makes sense.
#10 - June 28, 2016, 12:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Yes, they only see what's sent to them. The rest would waste their time.
#11 - July 03, 2016, 08:54 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: