SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Personal Space?

Discussion started on

Does anyone have any good (funny?) examples of kids violating your personal space or their siblings' personal space? Thanks in advance!
#1 - May 05, 2016, 06:35 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yeah ... being tickled to death, being pushed off a bench, hovering over you while you're writing, grabbing food off your plate ... but I still love my sibs.

Vijaya
#2 - May 05, 2016, 06:58 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Following me into the bathroom. Nowadays, they're older and don't come in, but they will stand at the door and try to ask me questions.  :lol4

#3 - May 05, 2016, 12:04 PM

My two year old likes to blow raspberries on my cheeks, and poke her little fingers in the top of my butt crack when she finds me on my hands and knees on the floor (usually cleaning something).
#4 - May 05, 2016, 06:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
About a year ago, when my kiddo was maybe fifteen months old, we went to a toddler playtime. He marched up to a slightly younger girl--total stranger, of course--and matter-of-factly lifted her shirt to see what was underneath.

Right around that same time, he got fascinated with the word "yucky." He called garbage cans "yucky," and he called litter "yucky," and so on. One day when we went swimming, he pointed at a naked lady in the locker room and shouted, "Yucky! Yucky! Yucky! Yucky! Yucky!"

Now he's two. The other day, he walked into the bathroom while I was using it. He left the door wide open behind him. "Are you pooping, Mama?" he asked. Shouted, actually. We had guests.

Oh, and we've had several phases of fascination with the insides of other people's mouths, noses, and ears.

Holly's butt crack story made me laugh and also brought back one of my earliest childhood memories. One day, while my older brother and parents were playing a board game, I was thinking hard about farting. When my brother leaned way over to move his game piece on the other side of the board, I tried to satisfy my curiosity by shoving my nose into his butt crack. Unpleasant for all involved, needless to say. Never did that again.
#5 - May 06, 2016, 11:34 AM
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:43 AM by Melissa K »
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm laughing at all these! Toddlers have no concept of personal space.

Vijaya
#6 - May 06, 2016, 11:39 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

These are great! Thank you, everyone, for sharing!
#7 - May 06, 2016, 11:40 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

I must one of the few writers around that enjoys having "personal" space invaded. Children inspire me and the more questions they ask the more feedback they give me.
Blatantly obvious I am childless, I suppose.
#8 - May 07, 2016, 06:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh, I think most of us probably enjoy it, Fiona. I know I do, most of the time. (There are worn out days now and again when it's hard to enjoy anything, but I'm lucky to have enough help and space that those aren't the norm.) I was cracking up while I wrote the list of ways my son has invaded personal space. You never know what the kid is going to say next. Today, for example, we had this conversation: 

Me: I have to go potty.
Him, running ahead of me into the bathroom: I'm going to go watch you!
(He actually got distracted and ran back out less than two seconds later.)
#9 - May 07, 2016, 09:02 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

My two year olds love to play dress up. One of their favorite dress ups is taking my underwear out of the laundry and wearing like 5 or 6 pairs at a time around their necks, like a necklace.
#10 - May 07, 2016, 10:41 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
My six year old is a big fan of the wet willy. He started doing it when he was about a year or so old, and has never stopped. Never.  :eek5
#11 - May 08, 2016, 11:42 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I've seen kids try to hug other kids at inopportune moments, while carrying a paintbrush, while the other child is drinking or eating or tying a shoelace. Sometimes they can't contain themselves for the few seconds they'd need.
#12 - May 08, 2016, 06:24 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
We had taught my daughter (probably when she was a year old or so) about her belly button and she loved lifting her shirt up to point it out. When her grandmother (my mother-in-law--she is a very modest woman who I rarely see in short-sleeves and NEVER in shorts) came over, my daughter lifted her shirt to find her belly button and show everyone. I still laugh about it but I'm sure she was not pleased. :-)
#13 - May 08, 2016, 06:56 PM
www.margaretgreanias.com
Twitter: @margaretgreania
www.facebook.com/MargaretGreaniasAuthor/
MAXIMILLIAN VILLAINOUS (Running Press Kids) 8/28/18

Members: