SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Pop or Soda in Connecticut?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Any idea whether people in Connecticut say pop, soda, or something else? Thanks!
#1 - May 12, 2016, 07:34 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
OMG, soda, in southwestern CT. I only heard "pop" during summer vacations in New Hampshire, where many of my neighbors and friends were from Massachusetts or other upper New England states, and every time someone asked for "pop" I looked for a grizzled grandpa.

Don't even get me started on why the heck a "bubbler" makes sense when "water fountain" seems so obvious.  :lol4
#2 - May 12, 2016, 07:57 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
A bubbler?  :lol4

I was wondering the answer to this myself. We in NC call it pop but one state up in Va. my cousins always called it soda. But then I have cousins in W.Va. that call it pop. So looks like it plays hopscotch up the east coast.  :grin3
#3 - May 12, 2016, 08:01 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
 :thankyou Sounds like I'm safe having a character from CT ask for soda.
#4 - May 12, 2016, 08:24 PM

I don't know about Connecticut, but this brings memories. I lived in MN and it was pop. Here in Eastern PA, it's soda.

Ree
#5 - May 12, 2016, 09:44 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
In nearby NJ, it's soda. I never heard pop until I went to Idaho to see my cousins. We had no idea what the other was talking about. I would assume soda for CT, but I also know there is a map floating around on the internet that maps every place and what they call them carbonated beverage thangies. It would probably give you more hard data.

Ah, here we go: http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html
#6 - May 13, 2016, 04:24 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Maybe it's pop in western Massachusetts, but not the Boston area. Just to complicate things, the older popular term (I remember my grandparents using it, and it's still heard in Rhode Island) is tonic.

Ah yes, bubbler. Now THAT is very MA.
#7 - May 13, 2016, 04:26 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Oh, my gawsh, TONIC is *very* old-school upper New England. But you have to pronounce it something like "tawnic"  :lol4
#8 - May 13, 2016, 04:35 AM

It might vary within the state. I think in PA it is soda in the East and pop in the West.

Ree
#9 - May 13, 2016, 05:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've lived in Connecticut all my life. We used to have a soda man deliver cases of Hosmer Mountain soda right to the house. I don't drink the stuff any more.
#10 - May 13, 2016, 05:37 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Okay, this is NOT Connecticut, but since my experience is different I thought I'd mention it.

I grew up in the Washington, DC metropolitan area (Northern Virginia, to be more specific), and we called EVERYTHING "Coke." Sprite, ginger-ale, Pepsi, or just regular Coke; it didn't matter what kind of soda it was, we called it "Coke." I wonder if they still do that. Hmmmm.
#11 - May 13, 2016, 05:58 AM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
These discussions are always fun. We grew up in WI with "pop" and "bubbler," but my parents grew up 50 miles to the south, still WI, and to them it was "soda." An elderly great-aunt called it "soda water."

My husband and his siblings grew up taking a lot of long-distance camping trips with their parents. One hot summer day they all piled out of their station wagon into a small tavern in a Western town, desperate for just about any beverage. The kids asked the barkeep for "pop." He was mystified. "'Pop'? What is 'pop'?" A couple seconds later his face lit up. "Oh. Sody!"
#12 - May 13, 2016, 06:02 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Rose, thanks for sharing that link. That's fascinating to see.

Clearly, I'm in the minority, but I've always called them 'soft drinks.' I was looking at that map, figuring I fall in the 'Other' category and wondering how few there are of us. Then I noticed the title of the page and felt perfectly 'vindicated.'  :lol4
#13 - May 13, 2016, 06:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Okay, I have to add my two cents. I live in southeastern PA and only heard "soda" growing up. When I went to college I had a friend from Indiana who called it "pop." First time I'd ever heard it called anything other than "soda."
#14 - May 13, 2016, 07:46 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Now I need waaaayyy more characters! Maybe I can have a giant picnic and they can all discuss beverages and get confused.  :drinking2
#16 - May 13, 2016, 10:08 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Ha! In Ontario, Canada we call them soft drinks, but we understand when Americans call them something else.

Ena, re "Cokes": When we travelled in Europe, no matter what kind of cola drink we asked for we got whatever they had, and they didn't see any difference. We noticed that in the American south, you got Coke no matter what you asked for. (Makes me sad for all the copywriters who've plastered the media with ads all these years to differentiate brands, to no noticeable effect.) It's enough to drive you to drink.  :drinking2
#17 - May 13, 2016, 11:19 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
oh dews, yes, I want to be at your picnic!!!! :running

*even if I'm just a character...
#18 - May 13, 2016, 12:13 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
oh dews, yes, I want to be at your picnic!!!! :running

*even if I'm just a character...

You are absolutely invited, JFriday! You can bring the beverages. Good luck sorting that out! :muahaha
#19 - May 13, 2016, 01:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Oh, I want to be a character in your story, too. Barbara and I can be your 'soft drinks' ladies.  :grin3
#20 - May 13, 2016, 02:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Oh, I want to be a character in your story, too. Barbara and I can be your 'soft drinks' ladies.  :grin3

Man, I wish there was a way to write you guys in for real. Putting a picnic in this scene would reaaaally draw my editor's attention, though. ;-) Also, you'd have to sign a release so I could shoot you off into space. :writing3

This reminds me of discussing a MG with my first agent a few years ago. Her: Why is there a goat in the book? Me: I wrote the book for my son and said Hey, what do you want in the book? And he said, A goat! Her: silence Me: It seemed like a solid literary decision at the time. 
#21 - May 13, 2016, 02:15 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
TONIC in Mass and NH, old-school-style, like Marissa said.  :)
#22 - May 13, 2016, 02:58 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

TONIC in Mass and NH, old-school-style, like Marissa said.  :)

Yep, even in western MA--We're old-school enough to remember when soda WAS a health "tonic", served in drug-store fountains.
#23 - May 13, 2016, 03:04 PM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Isn't it tonic because it has quinine in it? Or it used to? I remember tasting it as a child and it was vile ... bitter.
Vijaya
#24 - May 13, 2016, 03:36 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Isn't it tonic because it has quinine in it? Or it used to? I remember tasting it as a child and it was vile ... bitter.
Vijaya

That's tonic water (and yes).

Soda was "tonic" because it used to be sold as health tonics, back in the 1900's--
Pepsi was an after-meal peptic tonic, and Coca-Cola was a healthy, stimulating cocaine tonic.   :bewildered 
(Later replaced with caffeine, so it wouldn't cost $10,000 a bottle.)
#25 - May 13, 2016, 03:44 PM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Born and raised in CT and have never, ever used or have heard the word pop used for anything other than what my mom called her very Italian grandfather.  :grin3
#26 - May 13, 2016, 03:44 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Vijaya

To add to what Ericj said, the tonic we use today in say a gin and tonic used to be a health tonic as well. Quinine comes from cinchona tree bark and with the resurgence of craft cocktails, people have begun to make their own in the old style like you remember. In fact, there was a resurgence of quinine poisoning and doctors had a hard time diagnosing it because they hadn't seen it in modern times. It can be toxic if you're not careful!  :feelbad
#27 - May 13, 2016, 03:50 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thanks, everybody! Now I know how to stealthy poison someone if I need to.  :muahaha
#28 - May 13, 2016, 04:43 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
:popcorn
#29 - May 13, 2016, 04:51 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
In CO, it's pop...though I know what soda is too (CA relatives).

:popcorn
#30 - May 13, 2016, 05:37 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Members: