SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

"Ain't" in the North

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
If you identify as a Northerner, can you please tell me if you've heard older generations use "ain't"? And also where you're from, please?

Thanks so much!  :thankyou
#1 - July 17, 2016, 01:13 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Er, nope (greater Boston area).
#2 - July 17, 2016, 01:17 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My 93YO dad is from NJ, from an immigrant/immigrant background, and absolutely does not use ain't. (He does say "youse," though!)
#3 - July 17, 2016, 01:45 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
It was common but considered low-class nonstandard in central Ohio when I was growing up. Teachers used to intone, "Ain't ain't in the dictionary." I think its use depended on where your ancestors came from. If they--or the dominant strain in your family--came from certain parts of the British Isles, "ain't" was acceptable even among genteel folk.

There's a fascinating book called Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America, that explains a lot of about how regional accents and idioms in the US depend on where in England the original colonists came from, and it's way more complicated than just Scotch-Irish = Appalachia.
#4 - July 17, 2016, 02:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Suburban southeastern PA: I never heard anyone in the 2 generations above me use "ain't" unless it was in a joke.
#5 - July 17, 2016, 02:03 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I want to say that Lord Peter Wimsey uses ain't on occasion. And he is anything BUT low class!
#6 - July 17, 2016, 03:25 PM

Poster Plus
Not in north Jersey.
#7 - July 17, 2016, 03:28 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Nope (CT/MA).
#8 - July 17, 2016, 03:43 PM

In the north, I've lived in central upstate NY and in mid-coast Maine. Yes...some older folks used it. Some used it "not knowing better" while others would use if it fit a saying, such as "Well, ain't that a kick in the pants."

(But younger generations used it as well. Less likely, though, because it was part of a saying. It could be part of their vocabulary...perhaps, though, to sharpen a point they were making or something??? E.g.: I AIN'T drivin' that truck!)
#9 - July 17, 2016, 03:45 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
That's how I've heard it, too, Arona--as an intensifier, and used with awareness (not just bad grammar).
#10 - July 17, 2016, 04:27 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I use it, but again with awareness to make my point. As in, "Ain't no way in () you're going out in that dress in this weather."

I do think kids know it. Not sure how much they use it. I'm in my mid 40s and on Long Island, NY.
#11 - July 17, 2016, 09:19 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Nope in Western NY.
#12 - July 18, 2016, 06:29 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Vermont here and no, not unless you're using it ironically or sarcastically. I never heard my grandfather or older generations use it unless it was something like, "That ain't good." It wasn't part of general speech.
#13 - July 19, 2016, 07:56 AM
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses." -The Wolf, The 10th Kingdom

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I live in Philadelphia and "ain't" would only be used deliberately for effect, as others have said.

I think a more common marker of less educated speech (if that's what you are looking for) is "don't" for "doesn't," as in, "Kelly don't like that."
#14 - July 19, 2016, 10:33 AM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:36 AM by Kell »
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Yes, I have. From Minnesota originally and my Michigan grandfather, who had a high school education and was came to the US as a baby, used it once or twice. My California grandparents used it, too, but only ever ironically.

Also heard a Californian use it recently but it definitely wasn't being used ironically and he was only about 15 years older than myself.
#15 - July 19, 2016, 12:04 PM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:05 PM by stephanie-lucianovic »
The End of Something Wonderful: A Practical Guide to a Backyard Funeral (Sterling, Sept 2019)
Hello, Star (Little Brown, Fall 2021)

@grubreport

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
When I was a kid in Western PA, yes. It was a blue collar area. I haven't heard anyone use it since, at least not that I can remember.
#16 - July 19, 2016, 02:42 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yes. My mom's family uses it. SD farm country.
#17 - July 20, 2016, 08:47 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

I'm not a Northerner. Bred, born, raised in the South (Tennessee). That said, the only time anyone would say ain't growing up was when they were out of earshot of teachers and parents. We got the whole "ain't ain't in the dictionary" thing also. Teachers, I imagine, were heartbroken when it got put in there.

Today, I really enjoy using the phrase. As others said, it's said with awareness and there are only certain people I'll use it around, but I ain't afraid to let one fly now and then.
#18 - July 20, 2016, 11:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 I was raised in Michigan but my mother was from Arkansas.  She never used "ain't", but neither were we explicitly forbidden from doing so. It's just a contraction for "am not".  How it got such a bad reputation and became so deprecated is anyone's guess.
#19 - July 20, 2016, 12:28 PM
Persist! Craft improves with every draft.

Members: