SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How to write PB where art doesn't align (when you're not also the illustrator)

Discussion started on

Hi, all! I'm a newbie, although I've read enough of the archives that I'm starting to get a feel for the place. :)

I am decidedly NOT an author-illustrator, but I had a great idea today for a PB where the illustrations subvert the text a bit-- and that's the joke (to quote The Simpsons).

Not completely contradict it, a la Marla Frazee's "A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever."

More like Olivia (but of course, Ian Falconer is also an A-I).

Is this even sellable, for a "just" author?

If so, would it be best to make a general art note at the beginning, since I think a couple of examples and an "etc." could get the idea across? Or would it not be tiresome to give art notes with each example/line?

Thanks in advance!

#1 - October 15, 2016, 01:15 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
My opinion - minimize the art notes, so do your first option. And is it worth it? I don't know, but you can only try. Best of luck with it. (I love this kind of book!)
#2 - October 15, 2016, 02:38 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Thank you, Julie! Much appreciated.
#3 - October 15, 2016, 02:39 PM

Actually, do you think this might be better-accomplished in the cover letter/pitch? Hmmmm...
#4 - October 15, 2016, 02:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Cookie Cat,

Julie's given you some good advice.

If it were me, I'd do as you say and write a short art note at the top of the ms, so the editor is clear as he/she reads that the art and text aren't supposed to align.

Yes, this kind of ms is salable. Go for it! Good luck!
#5 - October 15, 2016, 02:53 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Actually, do you think this might be better-accomplished in the cover letter/pitch? Hmmmm...

Both. The letter and manuscript may get separated at some point, so the manuscript should contain a note. But the query must contain your concept for the book and this is clearly part of the concept.
#6 - October 16, 2016, 09:02 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Yes to the advice above, but also, if there needs* to be an art note, include one.

*Needs = you can't understand what is happening in the text because the illustrations are supposed to show something completely different and specific. If it's just opposite the text, a note at the beginning will suffice, but if it's a specific action that the characters have to take in order for the story to move forward, then even though there's a note at the top, you would also need a note in the text.

I think this could work, especially if the art notes are clear, but leave a lot of room for the illustrator to interpret them in their own way.

Good luck!

#7 - October 17, 2016, 06:50 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, all!
#8 - October 17, 2016, 07:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm late to this, but what the others said: art notes where needed.

I really enjoy books like this where the text is one thing but the illustration shows the opposite. Kids love being in on the joke too.

Good luck.
#9 - October 17, 2016, 11:13 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thank you so much! I'm diving in!
#10 - October 18, 2016, 05:20 AM

Members: