SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights closing to new submission 6/16/18-9/16/18

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Just received an email from Highlights that they're entering a "reading period" from June 16, 2018 through September 16, 2018. During that period, they are not accepting any new submissions, and anything sent in during that time will be declined.

So either get your submission in prior to June 16 or hold it until September 17!

(There's also a note that when they reopen, they'll be inviting submissions for current needs only, so keep an eye out for that.)

Tracy
#1 - May 29, 2018, 11:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Wow, that's new. Thanks for the head's up.
#2 - May 29, 2018, 12:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

You're welcome! I just received the email...it doesn't give anybody who's working on anything a lot of time (unless you're in the final revision stage), so I thought I'd help spread the word as quickly as possible.   :horse2
#3 - May 29, 2018, 12:13 PM
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:15 PM by tracy-vonder-brink »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas

And I'll be really happy if they also schedule to publish some old stories before they get moldy...
Thanks for alerting us. V.
#4 - May 29, 2018, 12:21 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
And I'll be really happy if they also schedule to publish some old stories before they get moldy...

:yup

#5 - May 29, 2018, 02:30 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I got the same email, too. I’m just about finished revising a short story that I had targeted for Highlights. Just in the nick of time!
#6 - May 29, 2018, 03:48 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth

Or poems.  :yup
#7 - May 29, 2018, 07:18 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Or poems.  :yup

Yep.

Although, I've pretty much let go of my article I sold to them about 13 years ago. It has probably disintegrated in the freezer by now.

Jody

#8 - May 29, 2018, 08:29 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Did anybody else watch 44 Pages, the Highlights documentary? Worth watching! It made me understand the magazine so much more. Anyway, they really do have file folders with manuscripts they bought a VERY long time ago, so if you have an accepted manuscript, never say never!
#9 - May 30, 2018, 07:44 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Did anybody else watch 44 Pages, the Highlights documentary? Worth watching! It made me understand the magazine so much more. Anyway, they really do have file folders with manuscripts they bought a VERY long time ago, so if you have an accepted manuscript, never say never!

I was there for a workshop in 2015, and one of the Highlights editors was talking about a manuscript acquired in 1997 that was being readied for publication...
#10 - May 30, 2018, 08:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas

I remember seeing the trailer for it. Thanks for the reminder Kell.
#11 - May 30, 2018, 09:44 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Thanks for this. Just sent in my story. Good luck to all. At least they have a promised reply date.

The documentary sounded really good, but I couldn't get there.
#12 - May 30, 2018, 06:46 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I bet the documentary was fascinating! I'd love to understand their process better.

Kell, do you think it can be accessed somehow?

Jody
#13 - May 30, 2018, 06:54 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Does the email specify Highlights, or Highlights High Five as well?
#14 - May 31, 2018, 08:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I went to submittable and looked. It seems to be just Highlights and their puzzle magazine; the rest of their publications are still open.
#15 - May 31, 2018, 08:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Does the email specify Highlights, or Highlights High Five as well?

The email only says Highlights.
#16 - May 31, 2018, 10:05 AM

Poster Plus
I bet the documentary was fascinating! I'd love to understand their process better.

Kell, do you think it can be accessed somehow?

Jody

I just saw the trailer on YouTube and noticed a link to watch the 90 minute documentary there, too (for a price).

(Mods, I'm sorry if this qualifies as marketing something!!! It's not my intention at all!!)

#17 - May 31, 2018, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the info.  Maybe they'll start doing it with all their magazines like the Cricket Group.
#18 - May 31, 2018, 07:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for the info.  Maybe they'll start doing it with all their magazines like the Cricket Group.

Not sure what you mean? Highlights and Cricket Media are two different publishers.
#19 - May 31, 2018, 07:50 PM

I meant that maybe Highlights will do a more specific needs list like the Cricket Media group with themes and such for each issue. 
#20 - May 31, 2018, 08:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I meant that maybe Highlights will do a more specific needs list like the Cricket Media group with themes and such for each issue. 

Ah, gotcha! Yes, that would make sending them submissions easier.

#21 - May 31, 2018, 08:25 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
We rented the documentary on Amazon. One of my daughters is Highlights obsessed and rereads all the old issues constantly so she wanted to see it.
#22 - June 01, 2018, 09:16 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for letting us know! This got me to get off my butt and submit a math puzzle I'd had lying around for weeks, just waiting to be submitted.

:thankyou
#23 - June 11, 2018, 09:54 AM

Just FYI---I was planning on submitting a poem to High Five, and their guidelines now say that they're not looking for poems. <<sigh>> this is such a tough market. It's depressing, like why bother?! 
#24 - August 01, 2018, 12:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Just FYI---I was planning on submitting a poem to High Five, and their guidelines now say that they're not looking for poems. <<sigh>> this is such a tough market. It's depressing, like why bother?! 

It's all in how you look at it. Getting published is a tough market, no matter in what format you do it, but each submission you work on gives you an opportunity to hone your skills and might lead to an acceptance. After all, you *know* you won't be published if you don't submit, so you're no worse off if you take that chance. Don't give up!

Tracy
#25 - August 04, 2018, 07:36 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Just wanted to add a couple of things.  You can rent the movie 44 PAGES for under $5 and it is well worth it --- especially if you are submitting because it truly gives you a complete insight into their mission.  I was fortunate to attend one of the workshops a few years ago.  They have drawers filled with stories they have acquired over the years (paid the writers upon acquisition) but not yet published.  For those of you in this situation, please don't give up.  They wouldn't have purchased your work if it wasn't right for them.
#26 - August 04, 2018, 10:39 AM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
It's all in how you look at it. Getting published is a tough market, no matter in what format you do it, but each submission you work on gives you an opportunity to hone your skills and might lead to an acceptance. After all, you *know* you won't be published if you don't submit, so you're no worse off if you take that chance. Don't give up!

Agreed, Tracy!!  :yup

To quote Wayne Gretzky ("the greatest hockey player ever"):
 "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
#27 - August 05, 2018, 02:14 PM
twitter: @sueirwin88

Safety Stars
(Lorimer Kids, 2015)

Breaking Through - Heroes in Canadian Women's Sport
(Lorimer Kids, 2018)

Members: