SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Type One diabetics, CGM, and pump Help!

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My main character has juvenile type one diabetes. She has been abducted and does not have enough insulin.
Do you call them "doses?" Do you check your CGM monitor and then if you are low in blood glucose what do you do? Do you inject insulin into the pump? How long will a dose last? And can you feel when you're low?
Thankyou for any help you can provide. She is abducted and I wanted the story to have this ticking clock.
#1 - February 28, 2019, 04:59 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I'm type two, not type one diabetic.  I use a CGM and insulin, but not a pump. If she doesn’t have insulin, she wouldn't have low blood sugar. The danger would be her blood sugars rising too high, once the insulin in her pump had run out. This is why juveniles with diabetes used to always die before insulin injections became available. The insulin lowers high blood sugars to a safe level. If you take too much insulin or don't eat when you take your insulin, that is when your blood sugar levels can drop too low. And everyone is different. Some people "feel" highs and/or lows, others don't.
#2 - February 28, 2019, 09:41 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi, my son has Type 1 Diabetes, but he is still on injections and not a pump yet. I have some answers, but likely longer than I can answer here. Feel feel to send me a direct message.

Lisa
#3 - February 28, 2019, 10:20 AM
Lisa Katzenberger
@FictionCity
www.lisakatzenberger.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Verla, thanks so much for this info. And, Lisa-Katzenberger, thanks for the PM.   :shoveldirt
#4 - March 02, 2019, 09:54 AM

Members: