SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Impressive! But... it doesn't fit our line up...

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Hello,
             I have been trying to get a PB out and while I've had some lovely comments it always comes down to not fitting the line up. So what if you cannot find anywhere that fits your style? What do I do now? You can see my art syle at https://www.scbwi.org/members/syd-arbor/

Anyone producing 3D artwork out there? Agented? Published?
#1 - May 23, 2019, 11:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Can you include more than those 4 images on your website? I'd have a whole portfolio that shows your entire range, but an illustrator will have more concrete advice.
#2 - May 24, 2019, 05:48 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I agree that you should have more than four illustrations in your portfolio. If you intend to illustrate for kids, include pictures of kids doing kid things. Try to make each drawing  tell a story. For instance, a lovely picture of a room is just that: a lovely picture of a room. But if you can see the heal of someone's shoe as she leaves that same room, story questions have been raised and you have an illustration.
#3 - May 24, 2019, 07:37 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thank you for your comments, food for thought there.
I was hoping to more specifically address 3D as an art style and to find examples of others success in this area so that I might better focus my efforts on agents and publishers more open to the work.
#4 - May 29, 2019, 09:45 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Syd, you might get more advice, guidance under the Illustrator or portfolio boards here  (find an Illustrator that does work in this style/has found some publishing success) but for now I’ll say 3D isn’t common in trade pic books. What you can do is head to the Library or larger book store and search for any books that do feature 3D. Then if you can find those, sub to the publisher listed in the book. And use your children’s Librarian. Bring along a sample of your work and ask if he/she can suggest books in their collection that match your style.
#5 - May 29, 2019, 10:12 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks Christine, good suggestions.
#6 - May 29, 2019, 11:13 AM

Members: