SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Could we share "Slang" with each other?

Discussion started on

kateknows

hahaha @inspired007.  Hot mess.  Exactly. 
#241 - August 07, 2011, 04:08 PM

C. Lee

This is one long thread! Hot topic. I just read a ms with "I blew up the phone last night." Of course, I took that literally until I realized it was some kind of slang I didn't know. The author has it on good authority (her teenaged kids) that this means someone used all their message units! Off to blow up my phone.  :oi
#242 - September 28, 2011, 11:17 AM

Poster Plus
This is one long thread! Hot topic. I just read a ms with "I blew up the phone last night." Of course, I took that literally until I realized it was some kind of slang I didn't know. The author has it on good authority (her teenaged kids) that this means someone used all their message units! Off to blow up my phone.  :oi

That's a good one. Sounds authentic.
#243 - September 28, 2011, 10:30 PM

Not to debate it, when I'm far from a teen, but . . .

I thought the expression "blow up my phone" meant you got soooooo many calls/texts that it nearly disabled your phone.  Like your phone almost went "bammo" because it couldn't handle all the simultaneous activity.    I didn't think it had to do with using up all your text allowance.

I'm just basing this on the young people I know (mid-20s) who say something like "It's so and so's birthday!  Let's blow up his phone!  And . . . GO!"  Because my mid-20s friends don't seems to have limits on text messages, I thought this meant that if we all text so-and-so at the same time, we could 'cause some damage/confusion and wouldn't that be a riot.
#244 - September 29, 2011, 05:35 AM

Poster Plus
Not to debate it, when I'm far from a teen, but . . .

I thought the expression "blow up my phone" meant you got soooooo many calls/texts that it nearly disabled your phone.  Like your phone almost went "bammo" because it couldn't handle all the simultaneous activity.    I didn't think it had to do with using up all your text allowance.

I'm just basing this on the young people I know (mid-20s) who say something like "It's so and so's birthday!  Let's blow up his phone!  And . . . GO!"  Because my mid-20s friends don't seems to have limits on text messages, I thought this meant that if we all text so-and-so at the same time, we could 'cause some damage/confusion and wouldn't that be a riot.

Could be a local expression, meaning different things in different areas.
#245 - September 29, 2011, 08:21 PM

I guess, except these friends are online, and they live all over.

I tried looking it up on Urban Dictionary, but then I was sorry.  It wasn't there, but lots of other stuff was . . .
#246 - September 30, 2011, 07:16 AM

Poster Plus
I guess, except these friends are online, and they live all over.

I tried looking it up on Urban Dictionary, but then I was sorry.  It wasn't there, but lots of other stuff was . . .

Ha ha. In any case your definition makes more sense, I think.

I don't use any slang in my writing that I don't use myself or at least have heard used a lot.
#247 - September 30, 2011, 04:41 PM

Lil Indigo

A lot of my friends and classmates say stuff like "Oh my gosh that game is sooooo beast!"

Definition of beast in this case: really really really really awesome, cool, radical, groovy, et cetera.

More words: coolio, awesomelio, 'Sup, Hey ______ (whoever's last name), _________ (whoever's last name with additional letter ((ex: if the last name is Grimes it would be Grimsey))) _____ (gender of that person), dang, fly (same definition as 'beast')

:draft: The list goes on and on and on
#248 - November 21, 2011, 10:19 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Can I ask whether folks in the US say "veg" as an abbreviation of vegetables? (like we do in Australia)

Thanks a lot for your help. Julie.
#249 - January 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

Can I ask whether folks in the US say "veg" as an abbreviation of vegetables? (like we do in Australia)

Thanks a lot for your help. Julie.

In the US we always say "veggies" for vegetables.  "Veg" is used as a verb, as in "vegging out," meaning vegetating (like in front of the TV set).
#251 - January 31, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ah ok, thanks very much.

J.

(I wanted to use "veg" in a rhyming picture book - looks like I need to revise!)   :  )
#252 - January 31, 2012, 08:19 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Here's another one. Where you are, do you ever use or hear "just a tick" or "half a tick" to express "give me just a moment please"?

Thanks a lot.

J.
#253 - February 01, 2012, 07:04 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Haven't heard that here in Oregon. Just a sec (for second) is used a lot.
#254 - February 01, 2012, 07:14 PM

I always thought the "half a tic" thing was British slang--a tic being a second on the clock and all.
#255 - February 02, 2012, 04:29 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yeah, that may well be, Jaina. I am in Australia, where we tend to have quite a few British leftovers. I suppose I could be called a British leftover myself (my Mum is English). : )
#256 - February 02, 2012, 01:03 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

MaryWitzl

'Half a tick' is still used in the U.K., but it's dated -- I've never heard my kids use it. Someone told me that the 'tick' comes from the tick made by the second hand on a clock. There's another outdated concept...

Does anybody know if 'bummer' is still used a lot in the States -- by people under the age of 20, and if not, then what IS used (to express dismay or vexation over life's vicissitudes)? My kids and their friends use 'bummer' occasionally, but I wish I had something better.
#257 - February 04, 2012, 10:53 AM

Poster Plus
Bummer sounds really dated to me. I think people usually say "that sucks" instead.
#258 - February 11, 2012, 06:16 AM

I must be outdated. I use bummer.  :groan
#259 - March 06, 2012, 05:21 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
One word teens still use, apparently, is "like." Like, on the local news the other, like, day, this, like girl, was being interviewed at, like, a high school, and, like, she must have, like, use like ten times in three sentences!
#260 - March 06, 2012, 08:33 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
One word teens still use, apparently, is "like." Like, on the local news the other, like, day, this, like girl, was being interviewed at, like, a high school, and, like, she must have, like, use like ten times in three sentences!
They do that here too, and it's not just the teens.  It drives me nuts!
"Langer" is a term used a lot where I live.  It's an abusive word and you don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone using it!
#261 - March 07, 2012, 04:07 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
"You go girl!"

"No you didn't!"

"Word Up!"

Legen......WAIT FOR IT.......WAIT FOR IT...... dary! (from How I Met Your Mother T.V show)
#262 - March 08, 2012, 10:06 AM

I'm at a loss. Please help! It was pointed out to me by the lovely YAchicka that the word "homewrecker" is probably not a word a teen would use. Except I need something that means just that. The words wh#re, slut, and skank, just don't have the emotional impact my MC is affected by. Do any words or phrases come to mind?
#263 - March 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:52 PM by Michelle J. »
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

I'm at a loss. Please help! It was pointed out to me by the lovely YAchicka that the word "homewrecker" is probably not a word a teen would use. Except I need something that means just that. The words wh#re, slut, and skank, just don't have the emotional impact my MC is affected by. Do any words or phrases come to mind?

I'm guessing "shameless hussy" won't work.
#264 - March 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

I'm trying to add voice to my ms. I have two POVs. The girl is no problem, but I want the guy to have different slang, tougher than hers, but not x-rated -- and wow! most of the slang dictionaries have a lot of x-rated slang!

I'm using "Freaky Fact Number One" for the list the guy-mc's making, but the girl-mc already uses "freak" a lot. I need something like "jacked-up" but that doesn't really go with "fact" (or thing, event, problem, data, etc.)

I need a term for bad/weird thing, but kinda tough, like a guy's using it. Suggestions?
#266 - June 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Poster Plus

Beeyotch?
#267 - June 18, 2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I've decided to stick with the words I mentioned in my original post :)
#268 - June 19, 2012, 06:57 AM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

jenmalone1

I haven't read all the way through this bulletin board, so someone may have already posted about this, but I'm writing my first upper MG and slang is something I never had to worry about too much while writing for much younger kids.  For this one, I've found it really helpful to scroll through the comments sections on articles at www.teen.com.  These are usually teens commenting on shows like Glee but the comments are so helpful in seeing words that teens use consistently and the way they are used. A LOT of OMFG:)  I thought "totally" was out but I see it all the time on there so I added it back in to my WIP.  It's the next best thing to hanging out with the real live versions....
#269 - June 20, 2012, 06:00 AM

Jen - Thanks so much for the link. I've been searching the online slang dictionaries and they come up short. It never occurred to me to seek out teen forums. You're a :goldstar
#270 - June 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Members: