SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Beyond Centauri

Discussion started on

fuego80027

Has anyone had any dealings with this magazine? I have subbed stuff to kidvisions ( very similar to this) but just subbed something to this mag today so I was just wondering about them good bad ?
#1 - June 09, 2006, 09:13 AM

A. J. Gaines

Like Kidvisions, Beyond Centauri is part of the close-knit Sam's Dot community of pubs and people.  I'd describe them as enthusiastic fans, publishing for the love of science fiction and fantasy -- and spending their own hard-earned money to do it.  In my opinion, their sense of community always trumps their business sense.  That said, Sam's Dot has a lot to offer if you write for fun, are just starting out, or both. 

A. J. Gaines
#2 - June 09, 2006, 12:31 PM

fuego80027

I have subbed stuff to kidvisions before and I'm on pretty good terms with the editor. Just was wondering if this I guess you would call it a sister company was as good as kidvisions
#3 - June 09, 2006, 03:49 PM

A. J. Gaines

"I have subbed stuff to kidvisions before and I'm on pretty good terms with the editor. Just was wondering if this I guess you would call it a sister company was as good as kidvisions"

Are fig newtons as good as apple newtons? 

A. J. Gaines
#4 - June 10, 2006, 05:39 AM

fuego80027

I hate both of them I'm not a cokkie or fig newton kinda gal :dr
#5 - June 10, 2006, 08:36 PM

HeatherJoyC

I've had an acceptance with Beyond Centauri, and not that it's a big deal, but I never received my contributor’s copy or payment, so I had to order copies if I wanted to see myself in print. 

I was still happy to get an acceptance though. 
#6 - September 01, 2006, 06:42 PM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:45 PM by HeatherJoyC »

A. J. Gaines

Heather,

I think Tyree Campbell's a good guy, but he publishes a lot of magazines and perhaps you slipped through the cracks.  Try sending him an e-mail, or posting a message on the Sam's Dot message board. 

AJ
#7 - September 02, 2006, 10:24 AM

HeatherJoyC

A.J.:

You’re probably right.

Just because it happened wouldn’t mean that I’d stop submitting more manuscripts to them, if I had more that is.  I like Sam’s Dot and all their contests.  Speaking of, I need to get busy for the new Drabble!   :writing3:

#8 - September 02, 2006, 12:05 PM

A. J. Gaines

If Tyree doesn't know there was a problem it might happen again.  I hope you let him know -- about this board/topic too. 

Have fun with that drabble!  I wonder if your story about "alien pets" could be further developed into something for _Beyond Centauri_ or _KidVisions_. 

A. J. Gaines
#9 - September 03, 2006, 05:17 AM

Members: