SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Outline for FACES article?

Discussion started on

Loretta

Hi,

Does anyone have a sample of an outline they've used to query Carrus pub? The FACES magazine requires a cover letter and detailed outline for all submissions. I have one article and one retold legend one recipe and two craft activities that I want to query on. Exact words:

"a detailed one-page outline explaining the information to be presented in the article,"

Also it says send a writing sample with the query........ I plan on sending an e-query...... and I have one clip loaded into my computer that I can send as an attachment. It doesn't mention not to send attachments.

Any suggestions would be great.......

Thanks,

Loretta
#1 - July 04, 2006, 01:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The outlines I usually submit are sentence fragments -- usually the lead sentence followed by a bunch of things I'll cover in that section.
I've known others use a narrative outline -- sort of a summary of each section.

Single spaced and I send it as an attachment.
It's great that you can send a clip as an attachment, too.

I hope this helps.  Goodl luck.
Vijaya
#2 - July 04, 2006, 04:34 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Loretta

Thanks Vijaya,

One more question if anyone or you can answer. What about retold legends and activities. It says an outline should be sent for articles, not for fiction. Should I just send a query for the legend and do I need an outline for the activities. If I send them all separate, that would mean that I'm sending one e-mail for the article, one for the legend and three for three different activities. Seems a bit much. Any suggestions?

Loretta
#3 - July 05, 2006, 06:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I often send multiple outlines for the same issue ... you know, one idea leads to another and so on.

I draft a single query letter giving a 1-2-line summary of each article idea and send each outline as a separate attached document.  But I was sending outlines for feature-length articles.  I like to have my query fit on one page and it's impossible to give a detailed outline within a paragraph. 

I think if the activities are short, you can probably send a query letter with each activity summarized in a paragraph.  Same with the legend.

Vijaya
#4 - July 05, 2006, 07:39 AM

richmond8

Vijaya, are you sending multiple feature story ideas thinking that they'll choose one, or do they sometimes take them all?
#5 - July 05, 2006, 07:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've had the good fortune of having most of my queries accepted, Richmond.  Perhaps I think like the editor at Odyssey  ;)
Vijaya
#6 - July 05, 2006, 09:20 AM

Loretta

Thanks V.

I think I'll sub the query for the article which would be supplemental nonfiction and the activities together. I think I'm just about done with the query letter as well as the outline.

The retold legend is different and I'm not sure how to approach that as far as an outline. They don't ask for one for fiction. Perhaps I'll just query and see what they say. Can't hurt to try.

Any ideas who the sub goes to at FACES? Or just send to: Dear Editor.......?

Thanks again. Loretta
#7 - July 05, 2006, 10:23 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Loretta, did you check the masthead of FACES?  I don't know off-hand who the editor is.  Perhaps it's on their website where they have guidelines.  This is where you'll see whether they also accept folktales, legends and fiction.  I know that Odyssey likes to run one fiction per issue ...

Vijaya

#8 - July 05, 2006, 11:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Here's the link for guidelines: http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=27

Mail queries to:
Editorial Department
Cobblestone Publishing
Attn: Elizabeth Crooker Carpentiere
30 Grove Street, Suite C
Peterborough, NH 03458

Or email them to: facesmag@yahoo.com

Vijaya
#9 - July 05, 2006, 11:33 AM

Loretta

Thanks V,

I read the submission guidelines. Don't know why I didn't catch the name. I do know that they accept legends, folktales and fiction. Thanks for your help.

Loretta
#10 - July 05, 2006, 06:46 PM

shebec

I have another question about submitting to Faces. Their submissions guidelines indicate to submit a writing sample if you are a new writer to Faces. What exactly are they looking for in a writing sample? I am unpublished as of right now, so would they just want to see a manuscript I'm working on, or would it be better to just send the article I'm proposing? Also, if choose to submit it electronically, would I include the cover letter in the body of the email and the outline, bibliography, and writing sample as attachments? Thanks for your thoughts!
#11 - October 23, 2006, 12:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think they're looking for style, Becca.  So if you have something that fits their style, send it along.  If you don't, you could send the piece that you're proposing.

I have never worked with the FACES editor, Becca, but for first time contact, I'd send everything by post.  I know a lot of editors don't like to receive attachments from people they don't know.  Of course, if their guidelines say that they accept attachments, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck.
Vijaya
#12 - October 23, 2006, 01:07 PM

shebec

Thanks for your thoughts, Vijaya. With so few manuscripts ready, I'll probably just send the piece I'm proposing like you said. I was planning on submitting it through regular mail until I saw on their guidelines that they accept e-queries. I still shy away from that because it seems so untraditional to me. It would certainly feel more natural to me to submit it through regular mail, so maybe I'll just stick with that, at least for this first query. Another related question: if this first query is rejected (just being realistic), I'll still need to submit writing samples with my future queries until I have a piece accepted, right?
Thanks again!
Becca
#13 - October 23, 2006, 02:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes, Becca.  I'd submit samples until your pieces have been accepted.
And please do remember to keep trying.  It's not unusual to query half a dozen times before getting accepted.
Vijaya
#14 - October 23, 2006, 05:21 PM

Members: