SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Zazou

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I just want to make myself known.

I've been writing on and off since I was old enough to spell. Although I didn't enjoy school, I always liked the rare english lessons where we'd get to write stories instead of doing the same boring stuff we usually did. I think I first decided to write a novel when I was about twelve and for the next few years I would often begin writing a book, although these would usually be awful second rate rip offs of whatever I happened to be reading at the time so the fact that none of my early projects ever saw the light of day is nothing but a blessing.

In January of last year, an idea for a children's novel just seemed to enter my head and I started writing it. I put a lot of work into it for a couple of weeks, until one day when I just gave up. I never really decided that I would stop writing it, I just closed the file one day and never reopened it. Over the year, I wrote a few articles for a sort of magazine that a friend of mine self-publishes and the people that read them kept telling me what a great writer I was. I think this is what gave me the confidence to reopen that word document I had created so long ago. I resumed working on it in september and the damn thing has pretty much taken over my entire life since then.

The novel in question is a fantasy novel (I guess it's an MG, although I never really attached any label to it as I was writing) and it now has very little in common with my original idea, but I think all the changes have been for the best. It's not quite done yet, but I'm happy with a lot of it and I think I maybe at the point where I might just be able to show it to someone. Maybe.
I don't think I've ever worked so hard on anything in my entire life, so it's far too late to give up now.

Anyway, it's nice to be here. I've been browsing this forum for a while and it seems like a very supportive place.
#1051 - February 08, 2007, 08:04 PM
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:49 PM by Zazou »

Poster Plus
Welcome!  You will find sooo much support and information here!

:writing3:
#1052 - February 09, 2007, 06:33 AM

Jaina

Yay for you, Zazou for picking up that project again!  Hope you have fun here at Big Blue.
#1053 - February 09, 2007, 09:20 AM

CJRay

Welcome Jes, Suzy, Zazou, and Reggie! (If I left anyone new out, I'm sorry and a great BIG "welcome" to you too!)  So glad ya'll have joined us.

This place ROCKS!  :yup Everyone is so supportive and giving of themselves. I hope ya'll have a great time here!

CJ
#1054 - February 09, 2007, 10:10 AM

Zazou

Thank you all for the welcomes.
#1055 - February 09, 2007, 10:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Welcome everyone! I've been here only a short while and I've already learned so much!
And Zazou--fantasy is quite hot with the MG and YA markets. Glad you returned to your story!
#1056 - February 09, 2007, 12:46 PM
SPACE EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
OCEAN EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
GRAVITY IN ACTION (Rourke, 2019)
www.annettegulati.com

Poster Plus
Hello! I just joined up here after lurking here for a while, mostly researching literary agents who might represent YA fantasy. I wanted to greet everyone and thank you all for this great resource!

I mostly write YA fantasy, though I also enjoy sf and mysteries (especially those with a historical setting). I've been writing since I was a kid, adding several bad novels to my trunk along the way. I recently (after many, many rejections) acquired a literary agent interested in representing my most recent completed work and am still not quite used to the idea that my novel is out there with editors even now. It's probably best I NOT think about it, and concentrate on revising my new novel (because it sure needs it!).

I look forward to reading more and getting to know the other folks on this board!

Deva
#1057 - February 11, 2007, 04:06 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

idreaminink

Thanks for the great welcome. Everyone here has been so kind.

I just wanted to say hi to the other newbies. ::waves frantically:: 

See you around the board!

Jes   :hug1:
#1058 - February 11, 2007, 08:50 AM

momadigan

Hello! I just joined up here after lurking here for a while, mostly researching literary agents who might represent YA fantasy. I wanted to greet everyone and thank you all for this great resource!

I mostly write YA fantasy, though I also enjoy sf and mysteries (especially those with a historical setting). I've been writing since I was a kid, adding several bad novels to my trunk along the way. I recently (after many, many rejections) acquired a literary agent interested in representing my most recent completed work and am still not quite used to the idea that my novel is out there with editors even now. It's probably best I NOT think about it, and concentrate on revising my new novel (because it sure needs it!).

I look forward to reading more and getting to know the other folks on this board!

Deva

How exciting!

Welcome and keep us posted!

Lisa  :yup
#1059 - February 13, 2007, 05:53 AM

I realize that this is probably a stupid question, but I have just discovered this message board.  I don't know what crater I have been hiding in for the last three years, but tooling around this site, I have noticed that people have pictures, or pictures of their books, and I was wondering how they download that here. 

No tomato throwing please... This is my first post.
Thank you,
Brenda 
#1060 - February 13, 2007, 01:06 PM
10 Turkeys in the Road, Marshall Cavendish, Scholastic, Amazon 2011
The Lake Where Loon Lives, Islandport Press 2014
TOUCHDOWN, MeeGenius 2014

cdb

Hi Brenda!

Go to the blue profile button at the top. Choose forum profile information. You should be able to manage from there.

Also, there's a place to introduce yourself under writing, I think.

WELCOME  :balloongroup:
#1061 - February 13, 2007, 01:13 PM

Avvy

Welcome to the board. I just recently found it as well, when I was searching and searching for some infomation on a publishing house response time for a full.

Anyways, after you click on the blue profile button at the top of this page, you will get another page. Click on the forum profile information on the left hand side. This will bring up the page to upload your own picture.

Welcome to the board.
#1062 - February 13, 2007, 03:22 PM

But how did you get your picture next to your post name?
#1063 - February 13, 2007, 03:23 PM

cdb

Hi Brenda!

LOL, just go there and you will figure it out. LOL

Carole
#1064 - February 13, 2007, 03:29 PM

shelly

Hi Brenda! It looks like you figured it out.

I just wanted to say welcome!
#1065 - February 13, 2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks Shelly so much, and next venture, I am going to learn how to sign my name as a leftie without smearing.  HA!
Love your book, it is one of my new favorites, and someday I hope you will be able to say the same thing about a book of mine.
Working diligently on thid end to make it happen.
#1066 - February 13, 2007, 03:37 PM

cdb

Way to go Brenda! I see you now.   ^-^

Carole
#1067 - February 13, 2007, 03:42 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome!    :girl

Christine
#1068 - February 13, 2007, 10:49 PM

AooH

Welcome, Brenda!
#1069 - February 14, 2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome
#1070 - February 14, 2007, 12:20 PM

Welcome to all the new folks on the Blue Board!!! Buckle your seatbelts, and enjoy the ride!!!   :D
~Della
#1071 - February 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
2019 Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY & HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE
+ more in 2020

momalisa

Hi all!
I'm actually re-introducing myself since had my account deleted due to inactivity.  :spaz  I'll try to come around more often this time.  Looks like a fun place!
I'm a columnist for a local magazine down here in South Florida.  I'm also a student with the Institute of Children's Literature.  I've had one children's story published at Fandangle.  I have three kids ages 10, 12 and 15 who I also refer to as my research subjects.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the writing market and look forward to chatting with you all!

Lisa

:dancing:   
#1072 - February 20, 2007, 06:37 PM

momadigan

Hi momalisa - welcome!

From Lisa, who sometimes calls herself momadigan.

:books:
#1073 - February 20, 2007, 07:15 PM

momalisa

Yay! A fellow Moma!
Thanks for the welcome.

:sing:
#1074 - February 20, 2007, 08:32 PM

Inkygirl

Hello all! I'm a freelance writer and illustrator living in Toronto. I've published a nonfiction book (The Writer's Online Marketplace with Writer's Digest Books), a bunch of nonfiction pieces for online/print pubs, some short stories, and poetry. I've been interested in writing children's books for quite a while now but got distracted by online stuff; I started a Web site called for Inkspot for children's writers ages ago, but it ballooned into other types of writing, took up more and more of my time (time I should have been WRITING :-)) and I eventually sold it. I'm back to what I love best now, trying very hard to get books for young people published. I have an agent at Curtis Brown, and am currently revising a novel for young people after an editor expressed enough interest in my book to work with me on revision suggestions. Wish me luck!!

I've heard many wonderful things about Verla Kay and this message board over the years, and look forward to being an active member.

Debbie
#1075 - February 21, 2007, 01:13 PM

Welcome Debbie...and momalisa...and anyone else I've missed lately.  This is a wonderful place! :laugh:
#1076 - February 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

zeke1450

Howdy folks! Stephen here from Maine. I just joined and my head is spinning from all the knowledge here! I started writing children's picture books 5 months ago. I have 6 completed with more in the works. I submitted my  work to 4 places and 3 weeks ago I received 3 approvals! (1 rejection) I have NEVER written before. I have been going crazy on the computer trying to research the business end of writing. Boy, is my head spinning! :faint: I can spend months on this wedsite trying to learn from the best.  :typing: This site is the best!!! ;D Thank you, in advance, for all your help!
#1077 - February 21, 2007, 06:11 PM

Welcome, Stephen! I hope you have fun posting here. :)

#1078 - February 21, 2007, 06:19 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

zeke1450

I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancing:
#1079 - February 21, 2007, 06:31 PM

momalisa

Thanks for the welcome Ghostgirl and welcome to any other fellow newbies.  This site is so full of info I could spend hours on here!  This is really going to cut into my writing time!  LOL

Lisa
 :books:
#1080 - February 21, 2007, 07:55 PM

Members: