SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

stephwc

Hi everyone,

These boards are fantastic! I've been to Verla Kay's website before but somehow never noticed the forums and message boards.  I finished the ICL Writing for Children and Teenagers course almost a year ago and have been working hard to get published.  I have something forthcoming in WeeOnes this fall.  I was supposed to have my first piece published in Dragonfly Spirit last month but that mag sadly is no longer with us. 

Thanks to my lovely online critique group I have been trying to stay motivated with writing, but of course rejection and the general insanity of life make that hard.  I really need to get myself on a schedule!

Currently I'm a stay-at-home-mom of 3 year old b/g twins (the main source of life's insanity! : ).  I used to be an elementary school teacher and may go back once my kids are in kindergarten.

It's nice to meet everyone here and I'm so glad to have found such an active and supportive community of pros and newbies!

Stephanie
#1171 - April 22, 2007, 11:01 AM

Suzy Scribbles

Welcome, welcome, Stephanie,

I haven't been a member very long, but I love this place. Where else can you "talk shop" with so many like-minded folks. It's pure fun.

:horse
#1172 - April 23, 2007, 06:07 PM

Aspasia

Hi, I'm Rebecca and I'm a  :writing3:.

(Hello, Rebecca.)

I thought about making this a rebus introduction, since I have all those great  :fury but, well, there are only so many hours in a day, most of which are spent  :momkid: keeping track of three kids.

I write YA and adult novels, everything from contep. to fantasy. (I know, I know. The old "stick to one genre" advice  :uhuh  I tried. Really, I did.)  I've seen my educational materials and some other stuff published. That byline is nice.  :yup    So is the  :EmoticonDollar:.

A big "Good to meet ya" to everyone.
 :werd
#1173 - April 26, 2007, 10:23 AM

momadigan

Welcome all you new posters!

Have fun on the boards -

:jump

Lisa

#1174 - April 26, 2007, 11:04 AM

bcbaroo

Ahh, a Rebus Reference... Very nice.

I'm an ad guy by paycheck and I've only heard Rebus Refered to by other ad writers... so cheers to you!

#1175 - April 26, 2007, 12:25 PM

Donna

Welcome to the boards, everyone!

Joy and peace,
Donna
#1176 - April 26, 2007, 08:08 PM

Hi. I'm Sarah and I write YA novels.  I look forward to meeting you on the boards.

#1177 - April 28, 2007, 02:48 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

Welcome, Sarah! I hope you have fun here. :)

#1178 - April 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Debbieday

:books: HI EVERYONE!

I'm new to this site and am just out exploring. Glad I found a place to introduce myself!
I've recently ( in the past year) dusted off my dreams to write for publication and found myself facilitating a class on Writing for Children online. I have a few children's short stories in my portfolio and am writing a YA novel as well as having another brief intro for a second tucked away. I'm always looking to network an dlearn from others so I am thrilled to have found these boards!!!

I look forward to getting to meet you!
Blessings,Debbie :reading2:
#1179 - April 30, 2007, 10:58 AM

Welcome to the board, Debbie. :)

#1180 - April 30, 2007, 07:43 PM

amylilbit

Hi everyone,

I've made a few posts now so figured I should officially introduce myself. My name is Amy and I primarily write picture books, though I'm six chapters into my first novel right now and I'm really enjoying writing it so far.

Though not writing as a career (yet!) I have always loved to write, from the time I was little. I studied journalism in college and really started taking my fiction writing seriously when I enrolled in the writing & publishing graduate program at Emerson College. Since then I've been working on my craft and submitting the best of the bunch.

I'm still unpublished but have started to see signs of progress in the last year, with some personal rejections and winning an honorable mention in the Writer's Digest writing competition. I'm on my way!  I hope to get to know some of you here on the boards.

Happy Writing!
#1181 - May 08, 2007, 09:20 AM

Welcome, amy! I hope you have fun posting here, and good luck with your novel. :)

#1182 - May 08, 2007, 05:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I've posted several times now and have sort of introduced myself in another thread, but perhaps I should do it more formally here.

I'm Steve, and my long-time interest in writing has long been locked on the YA genre.  I'm a life-long resident of Iowa, now fininshing my thirty-first year as a public school teacher.  (I teach a K-4 elementary Resource Room.)  I wasn't sure when I first registered as to what level of anonymity I'd want, so I opted for the screen name 1846, which simply refers to the year Iowa became a state.

When I became heavily involved in our community theatre many years ago, I unitentionally quit writing for about ten years, except for producing our theatre's newsletter and website.  I'm trying to make up for lost time now, and i'm clearing away everything that I can (including any further theatre projects) so I'll have as much time to write as possible.  I've been back at it for 3 or 4 years, and  I have a whole stack of unpublished manuscripts written over a 25 year period.  Those will never see the light of day again, but I am hopeful for two current works in progress, one "finished," and now in it's 13th draft, and the other which is a true WIP.  I hope to have draft #1 finished before the end of June.  My finished work is a warm, family centered story, and the unfinished piece is quite a bit edgier.  Both are set in Iowa.  (And I have several more ideas that I'm just waiting to have time to develop.)  I'm also an avid YA reader.

At the end of the next school year I'll be eligible for early retirement and hope to be able to take advantage of that for the ultimate long shot gamble and write full time.  I'm delighted to have found this board and I'm ready to do what it takes to get published.  At my age, I can't afford to waste any more time if I'm going to succeed and I hope that by participating in this community I will be able to improve my writing skills and develop more knowledge about how to manuver the business side.  I thank you all for the opportunity to participate.

Steve
#1183 - May 10, 2007, 08:01 PM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:35 AM by 1846 »

momadigan

Welcome, everyone!

1846, I love your user name -

Lisa (who is neither Mo nor Madigan)
 :laugh:
#1184 - May 10, 2007, 09:10 PM

Jaina

Yay, Steve--Welcome!  I hope you'll set a book in the theatre sometime . . .  :)
#1185 - May 11, 2007, 04:16 AM

susandawn

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of months. Two of my critque-mates (what's that??) told me abou them. My name is Sue; (...don't say it...don't say it....'how do you do?' DOH.  :eek5: I knew someone would say it.  ;) ) I grew up inthe Bay Area, but I've spent my adult years in Minneapolis, scheming to find a way back to warmer climates, with salty air.

I've been writing for children for several years, and I have the rejection letter file to prove it. Although, truthfully, my biggest challenge is to get my work submitted. I need to grow thicker skin, apparently.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the boards, and look forward to meeting more of you as time goes by.

Susan Dawn
#1186 - May 11, 2007, 08:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Welcome Steve and Susan!

Best to you both in your writing endeavors! I haven't been here very long either - but I already can say that there is a TON of knowledge on these boards.

Jody
#1187 - May 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

I love YA fantasy.
Poster Plus
Hello, all.  I have been lurking around here for several months, so I thought I should bother to introduce myself.   :)

I write YA fantasy, and have been widely submitting my first novel (hence all of my rejection posts on the agent and editor response times threads).   :D  I have -almost- gotten an agent not once but twice now, but alas.....no agent yet.  But I am hopeful and keep sending.  These boards have been a great place to find new leads!

My second novel is almost finished, so you can expect to see even more rejection posts.  But that won't stop me from  :writing3:  I have very thick skin.  :)

If anyone is wondering about my name or avatar.....do yourself a favor and see Tank Girl.  Or do yourself a bigger favor and read the graphic novels! :study

It's nice to be here.  :typing:
#1188 - May 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
Reading: ...

Welcome, JetGirl! I hope your first book gets picked up soon, and I hope you have a lot of fun posting here. :)

#1189 - May 11, 2007, 07:25 PM

SarahP

Welcome to the newbies and lurkers! 

#1190 - May 12, 2007, 08:19 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
After checking in sporadically, just signed on. I write pbs (3 pubbed/4 more under contract) and mg novels (unsold, fingers crossed). I'm a network chair for SCBWI-IA, and I teach writing for kids for ICL and at the University of Iowa's Summer Writing Festival.

#1191 - May 18, 2007, 06:15 AM
Coming soon:
Elwood Bigfoot - Wanted:  Birdie Friends (Sterling)
Teeny Tiny Toady (Sterling)
If a T Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party

bcbaroo

Welcome Jillie -

In my real job I write ads... one of my clients is in your neck. AE Dairy.

#1192 - May 18, 2007, 12:01 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thanks for the welcome, Bill. I'll watch the AE ads.  :EmoticonLickIceCream:
#1193 - May 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
Coming soon:
Elwood Bigfoot - Wanted:  Birdie Friends (Sterling)
Teeny Tiny Toady (Sterling)
If a T Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party

www.DellaRossFerreri.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hey Jill!  8) Nice to see you officially on the blue board! ***waving***  :dancing:

~Della
#1194 - May 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
2019 Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY & HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE
+ more in 2020

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome to a fellow Iowan!
#1195 - May 18, 2007, 07:03 PM

SarahP

Yay for new Iowa members!

(I'm in Iowa City).

Welcome (though I'm fairly new here myself)
#1196 - May 18, 2007, 08:34 PM

Good to see lurkers stepping out of the shadows. It's so much more fun in the sun.  :laugh:

:dancing:

Welcome!

Donna

#1197 - May 18, 2007, 09:13 PM

Poster Plus
Greetings!  I've hovered long enough to know this is a good place to touch down.  I've learned so much and am most impressed with the generosity of spirit I've found here. 

I've been writing for kids for two years and feel most comfortable in MG and young YA (that probably means immature).  The submission process is still extremely daunting.  The rejection part is, well, you know. 

I look forward to participating and getting to know all of you better.
#1198 - May 19, 2007, 06:38 AM

Welcome to the board, Petoskey. I hope you have a lot of fun posting here! :)

#1199 - May 19, 2007, 07:30 PM

BBOvenGuy

Hi!

My name's Bob, and I'm pretty much a middle-grade writer.  I started out waaaaay back in the mid-80s, when I was still in college, as a writer for the Nickelodeon cable series You Can't Do That On Television.  After an unsuccessful run at Hollywood (something of a blessing in disguise, actually), I've switched to books.  I have two novels published, and a third due out late this year or early next year.  You can find out more at my website.

This looks like an interesting place, but great googly-moogly, you sure have a lot of smileys...   :eek5:
#1200 - May 19, 2007, 11:56 PM

Members: