SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

truckman

My name is John.  I live in the upper corner of South Carolina.  I am a student of The Institute of Children's Literature.  I have written several hunting articles for an online Beagle Magazine.  I write religious poems some times.  I had a very good response to one of my poems that a friend made into a song.  If they don't change their mind my favorite Southern Gospel Group will record it the next time they go to the studio.  I have been trying to write devotions and inspirational stories and articles.  I also love to write history articles and historical fiction.
#121 - December 15, 2003, 09:55 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
Welcome, John!  Good to have you here.
#122 - December 15, 2003, 10:38 PM

HarleyGirl

WElcome, welcome, John.
Congratulations on your poem being recorded as a song.  I hope they don't change their minds.  Keep us posted on how it goes.
See you 'round the board.
HarleyGirl
#123 - December 16, 2003, 03:58 AM

Brieanna531

Hi,

My name is Brie, and I'm finishing my last year of college in Dayton, Ohio.  I just started writing for children last summer, and I've never had this much fun writing.  Best of all, I like everything about writing for kids - drafting, editing, researching markets, studying what's been published, etc.  I can't get enough, and I'm thrilled to have found others who share my passion.  I look forward to getting to know all of you better!

Happy holidays!

Brie
#124 - December 19, 2003, 10:34 AM

Cateyes59

Welcome Brie!
I hope you enjoy this board as much as I do!

;D

Cathy
#125 - December 19, 2003, 12:34 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get on this board for a while but for some reason my browser wouldn't let me. It seems to be doing well today. Anyhow, I'm Amishka from Verla's chat. Haven't been in there much lately but I try when I can. My real name is Alma Fullerton. I live in Ontario Canada with my hubby, two daughters and my yellow lab Sunny. I've had a few articles published and a couple of magazine peices. Right now I've got a YA novel in the hands of editors at Harper Collins and Atheneum. I write pbs, mgs, yas and poetry and articles (not all at the same time). I just started a new MG/YA and I'm not really sure where it's headed actually I won't even really know what it's about until the mc (who btw doesn't even have a name yet) really starts 'talking' to me. She started with a few paragraphs and we'll see where she goes from there - I know that may sound weird bu I usually just let my characters lead the way.
#126 - January 08, 2004, 08:44 AM
GG Finalist, Golden Oak award, CLA BofY Honor Book, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award, TD09 Finalist, Yalsa Quickpick, Stellar shortlist, MYRCA shortlist

Skarab

Hi all,

Pickles told me about this board (thanks Pickles!!), and I've had fun lurking here the past couple of days.

My name is Susan and I live in San Antonio.  I'm working on a YA fantasy (my first).  I finished a first draft and am nearly halfway through a second draft.  I joined an on-line critique group through SCBWI, and that's been my biggest motivator for slogging through rewrites / revisions.  

This seems like a great community of writers, & I'm glad to be here.

Susan
#127 - January 12, 2004, 02:06 PM

els

Hi Susan! Welcome!
#128 - January 12, 2004, 02:17 PM

Skullcats

Hi All!

Sheila here, aka Skullcats (Cat for short), looking for writer friends because others just don't understand me!  I am not published, but I've written since I knee high to a wallabee.  I have boxes and boxes of manuscripts dating back to sixth grade and now I want to make my inexperience public.  As an intrinsic extrovert, I have a lot to contribute to the group and to the craft!

What are the most common chat times???  
#129 - January 17, 2004, 03:10 PM

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi, I'm Stephanie, and I must have missed this thread when I first started posting! :-[

I am an author/illustrator (still unpublished  :-\ ) and I am working on picture books and easy readers.

I live in NYC, and I just got engaged in December!

I've been on this board for a couple of weeks now, and I think the advice and discussions are great!
#130 - January 19, 2004, 09:49 AM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 09:59 AM by sruble »
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
We meet nightly, between 9pm and 11pm EST.  (I think that's your time zone... if you are in Connecticut, anyhow.)  Come and join us any evening!  (Or connect with others on the Message Board during the day by posting a message on the Live Chat board....)

Welcome!  (Nice website, by the way. LARGE!)
#131 - January 19, 2004, 08:47 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Chris Mandelski

I missed it too, Stephanie.  I am Chris, I live in Springfield Illinois and am loving this site -- it has been so helpful to me in many ways.

My first experience with writing was an act of plagiarism.

When I was very young, about 6 years old, I copied a simple poem out of one of my children's magazines, to show my mother how well my handwriting was coming along.  When I gave it to her, she thought I had authored it -- and immediately (before I had the time to protest -- I swear) started praising my writing ability.

I liked this praise so much, I decided to try writing my own stuff.  I never did tell my mother, but I'm still writing (all original!) and she's still praising me.  Now if only I could get an editor to do the same...
I wonder what a therapist would say about all of this?

I have one husband (married 8 years -- in about 45 minutes!) and two daughters, age 3 and 5.  

Thanks so much to all of you who share ... it means so much!

Best to all,
Chris
 ;D
#132 - January 19, 2004, 09:15 PM

Darcie

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site. I am a writer/illustrator from Oregon and have been illustrating (editorial) for the past 4+ years.  I am currently working on a childrens book portfolio and writing a PB.

I am a junior year dropout form RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) and am currently finishing what I started 14 years ago at Portland State University.

I have two wonderful children ages 8 and 9, and a supportive husband.

I am looking for a illustrator/writer critique group but have a feeling it might take some time to find one. I am truly greatful for this site, as I learn something new every day I log on!

Thanks to all,

Darcie

#133 - January 19, 2004, 10:22 PM

Mrs J

I'm Jennifer.  I live in Southern California with my husband and three sons.  This board has already been a wonderful source of information and motivation for me.  I laughed myself silly in the Worst Story thread!

I've been writing for years, but only mustered up the courage to begin making submissions this past fall.  My submissions so far have been to magazines, but I also have 2 pb's in the editing/revision stage.

#134 - January 20, 2004, 07:42 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Welcome, Mrs. J! :hug1:
#135 - January 26, 2004, 08:50 AM

Kimberly

Welcome aboard, Jennifer. I look forward to hearing more from you :)
#136 - January 26, 2004, 02:08 PM

carimel

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the board!  I am a inspiring children's writer.  I try to write everyday but I am busy because I am a preschool teacher!  My children (class) inspire me alot in my writing that I jot alot of ideas while I am in class.  I hope we all can help one another with ideas or tips.  
#137 - February 07, 2004, 05:29 PM

doda

Welcome Carimel.
I know you'll enjoy yourself here and find plenty to inspire and encourage you.

:writing3:
#138 - February 08, 2004, 04:18 AM

Kimberly

Welcome to the boards, Carimel!
#139 - February 08, 2004, 06:31 AM

carimel

Thank you so much for welcoming to the board,  I hope to get to talk to everyone soon!  I was looking at the different sites and I found them all so interesting and helpful!  I hope everyone has a great week!!  But most of all we all get alot of writing done.
#140 - February 08, 2004, 07:38 PM

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :) Welcome Mrs. J and Carimel!
#141 - February 08, 2004, 09:28 PM

Deema

Hi,

My name's Dianne and I live in Vancouver, Canada with my husband and nine-year-old daughter. I took a Children's Writing course at my local university a couple of years ago and have been writing ever since (when I get time!). I haven't submitted much but I do have a  story (folktale) "on hold" with New Moon magazine for girls and I recently received a revision request from Putnam for a pb manuscript.

I'm currently working on an MG about track and field (I spent a lot of time at track meets last year with my daughter!)

I've learned so much already from this board. Thanks, Verla, for setting it up and thanks to all the co-ordinators for volunteering their time.
#142 - February 11, 2004, 02:34 PM

Emily

Welcome Deema!  

:cuccoan: :snail::balloongroup:    ;D
#143 - February 11, 2004, 03:33 PM
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 03:34 PM by Emily »

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :D Welcome Dianne!!!
#144 - February 11, 2004, 04:29 PM

lurban

I participated in my first chat on Monday (my two-year old was exhausted after having a cast removed and fell asleep early!).  I'm an aspiring author of picture books and MGs.  I live in Southern California where I work as marketing director for a terrific independent bookstore.

A question:  the bookstore hosts free writer's workshops on Saturdays in the summer.  Is there an appropriate place to list information about these workshops on the boards?  Past workshop leaders have included illustrator Marla Frazee, and writers Ron Koertge, Tony Johnston, Eve Bunting, and Alice Sebold.  The workshops are already pretty popular, but they're so useful, I'd hate to have folks miss out.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
Linda
#145 - February 13, 2004, 08:02 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
A question:  the bookstore hosts free writer's workshops on Saturdays in the summer.  Is there an appropriate place to list information about these workshops on the boards?  Past workshop leaders have included illustrator Marla Frazee, and writers Ron Koertge, Tony Johnston, Eve Bunting, and Alice Sebold.  The workshops are already pretty popular, but they're so useful, I'd hate to have folks miss out.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
Linda

Welcome, Linda.

If you register, you'll be able to post these events on the calendar.
#146 - February 13, 2004, 09:00 AM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

lurban

done!  Thanks!
#147 - February 13, 2004, 09:24 AM

I just registered today.   I'm new to professional writing.  I've had some stuff published in the local paper, a church publication, and other non-paying stuff.  But, now that I'm getting serious about it, I look at those and see just how unprofessional they are.  

I do have an assignment for a pre-school/kindergarten church magazine.  It's due at the publishing house this fall and will be distributed in 2005.  

Other than that, I'm just feeling my way around the biz right now.  Eventually, I'd like to write some picture books, maybe a few chapter books -- I'll wait and see if I'm any good, first!  

I just love how satisfying it is to come up with, :) develop, and finish an idea.  That may be all the reward I need (or get).

Stephenie
#148 - February 13, 2004, 01:15 PM

els

Welcome Steph!

The neat thing about starting off the way you have, no matter how "unprofessional" they seem, they built your confidence.  It's the way a lot of us started.  You get credits, and learn that you can finish on a deadline, meet criteria, and see your name on something.  
So welcome, glad to meet you!
#149 - February 13, 2004, 01:20 PM

:)

There!  I got the snowguy in the right place this time.  Thanks for the welcome.  

I see lots and lots of good stuff on this sight.  I'm looking forward to getting more insight into writing for kids.

I used to be so full of ideas.  And then came my first daughter.  Has anyone else felt like maybe that placenta was actually their brain?  :o  (Sorry to be so graphic.)  But, I swear my brain functions went way downhill after that.  She's turning 9 next week and I finally feel like the ideas are starting to flow again.  This time, I'm going to harness them.  I'm going to fertilize and grow them into stories, poems -- whatever!

Stephenie
#150 - February 13, 2004, 02:46 PM

Members: