SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Valerie

Welcome newbies!  Valerie: LOOOOVE your Beaker.  Meep! Trip down memory lane.

Beekers my fave!!  Thanks for the welcome!!
#1231 - June 04, 2007, 06:18 PM

Jaina

Best Beaker line:  "Sadly temporary."  Only say that like Beaker--Madmee memporarmee.

Welcome Valerie and Bill and everyone else who is new here!  I know the amount of stuff on Blue is overwhelming, but it's definitely worth sifting through.  The natives are friendly and some of them make sense sometimes.  And the drinks are half-price on Tuesdays!
#1232 - June 04, 2007, 07:03 PM

Donna

Half-price Tuesdays? And all this time I've been paying Monday prices. Hmmmph.

Welcome aboard, y'all. The folks here are fabulous. I still don't know half of them - but the ones I do know are precious, precious people. I've met some face to face and I hope I'm blessed to meet more of them one day at a conference or book signing!

Joy,
Donna
#1233 - June 04, 2007, 09:02 PM

Valerie

Best Beaker line:  "Sadly temporary."  Only say that like Beaker--Madmee memporarmee.

Welcome Valerie and Bill and everyone else who is new here!  I know the amount of stuff on Blue is overwhelming, but it's definitely worth sifting through.  The natives are friendly and some of them make sense sometimes.  And the drinks are half-price on Tuesdays!

OMG!!!  That's my fave line too!  I was going to write that under the pic but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about!!  LOL

#1234 - June 04, 2007, 09:14 PM

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Are you kidding? "Sadly temporary"  -- Every time I hear the words in any form, Beekers voice pops into my head. Of course, I'm a huge Muppet fan.

Playfully,

Traci
#1235 - June 05, 2007, 02:03 PM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Valerie

Are you kidding? "Sadly temporary"  -- Every time I hear the words in any form, Beekers voice pops into my head. Of course, I'm a huge Muppet fan.

Playfully,

Traci

The muppets rule!  I love the original muppet movie the best.  It is just so entertaining... even now and I've seen it so many times.  The jokes never get old!  Drinks on the house, Myth Myth Yeth, Gone with the Schwinn... these are just some of the jokes that are used in our house on a regular basis.  My other fave is "Read my lips... AL-E-GA-TORS"  Excellent movie...

OH and I also love the big goofy guy at the car dealer... "Jack not name, Jack job!"  and "You owe us a nickle!"

(But beaker is still the best!)
#1236 - June 05, 2007, 02:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hi there!  I'm Kate, and I can't believe I  just found the blue boards recently.  (I'm a SCBWI member and found a link from those discussion boards.)  Already, I've found great information here, so thanks!

I write primarily middle grades novels - both historical and contemporary.  My first book,a MG historical novel called SPITFIRE, is scheduled for publication this September. It's about a young girl who disguises herself as a boy to fight in a Revolutionary War naval battle on Lake Champlain.  My current WIP is a contemporary MG novel, and I'm in the research stages of another historical piece.

Thanks to all who have spent time posting here (I've already noticed quite a few friends from the SCBWI boards and LJ!)  It's a fantastic resource, and it's great to be here.

-Kate
#1237 - June 06, 2007, 04:18 PM
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Welcome, Kate. :) I'm glad you're enjoying yourself here so far. And congratulations on your first book!
#1238 - June 06, 2007, 06:31 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

KirstyAnn

Hi All ... another newbie here.  I've been lurking for a while and have finally posted.  I'm in Australia, am attempting my first novel (mid grade) and love the muppets too!  Currently Animal is my MSN icon!!  Although I have to say Miss Piggy is probably my favourite, or Kermit, or the old guys in the balcony, or the Eagle ... can't decide really.  Anyways nice to say hi to everyone, I've really enjoyed my lurking.  I've posted a few times on the yellow board but it seems to have disappeared.  I've also offered a few critiques on CC but haven't posted anything there yet.  I popped into the chat room which was fun and have lurked around a bit but now it's time to go back to  :banghead: I guess!
#1239 - June 10, 2007, 07:39 PM

Jaina

Welcome, Kirsty!  We have a few Australians on this board and though your country seems to have more than its fair share of really cute guys, I'll try not to hold it against you.  Much.
#1240 - June 10, 2007, 07:44 PM

lifebecomesart

Hello everyone!

My name is Michelle. I'm from Texas (and sometimes England), and have been writing for as long as I can remember.

This is my first time trying for the children's market. I'm trying to turn some of the stories/poems I have written for my nieces and nephews into picture books, and I have one middle reader started. But I usually work on adult short stories and novels, so I've found a lot of very helpful information on this board for a market I am certainly not used to.

I posted my first question here: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=2406.0 and I'm sure I'll have many more in the future  ;)
#1241 - June 10, 2007, 11:34 PM

KirstyAnn

It's funny everyone says our country has so many cute guys yet I had to travel all the way to Canada to find my man??? Maybe I just live in the wrong part of Australia!!  :n
#1242 - June 11, 2007, 04:17 AM

Jaina

Kirsty, maybe they all hang out at some Cute Guy club or something.  No wait--that doesn't sound right!  Maybe they're all . . . heading over here to live in my town.  Yeah.  Next door.

Hi, Michelle!  Welcome!
#1243 - June 11, 2007, 05:14 AM

skate

Not all of them, Jaina. I'm married to a cute Aussie  :yup and he ain't goin' nowhere!

Skate
#1244 - June 11, 2007, 05:54 AM

MandyT

It's funny everyone says our country has so many cute guys yet I had to travel all the way to Canada to find my man??? Maybe I just live in the wrong part of Australia!!  :n

Or maybe it's just that everyone thinks "foreign" accents are sexy...lol
#1245 - June 11, 2007, 08:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Hi Kirsty, from another Australian (WA). As Jaina says, there are a few of us here (no guys, though, cute or otherwise). I write mid-grade too. In fact, I am launching my first book tonight! Eek.

Muppets-wise, I'm torn  between Beaker and Statler/Waldorf (old balcony guys). The Swedish Chef also puts in an appearance in our house from time to time ...
#1246 - June 11, 2007, 09:32 PM

KirstyAnn

Oh how exciting Meg!  I hope it went well ... what's the name of your book?  I'm nowhere near that stage yet ... congratulations, I hope you had a great night!!
#1247 - June 11, 2007, 10:44 PM

MandyT

Yes, congratulations Meg!  I really would love to read your book, the synopsis on your webpage sounds fantastic!  I love stories with a good emotional mess that the mc has to work through.  Where can I order it?
#1248 - June 13, 2007, 01:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you! It went really well, I'm told. I had my head down signing books almost the whole night and hardly got to talk to anyone. It was both odd and marvellous. When I get my energy back I'll put some photos up on the site and maybe post in Good News. Thanks for asking about the book - the title is Annabel, Again (there should be a picture of the cover to the left of my post) and 'good emotional mess' is an excellent way of describing what the mc makes for herself. And I'm actually not sure where you can order it from the US. It's not on Amazon yet, and I'm not really sure how that works from here. It's available at a couple of online bookstores:
http://www.timeout.co.nz (do a title search)
and
http://www.abbeys.com.au/items/39/59/66/

But I have no idea what the exchange rate is like and postage would probably be nasty, I guess. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
#1249 - June 13, 2007, 06:27 AM

MandyT

I just ordered my copy!  Postage is usually not TOO terrible... it is a pretty small package after all :)  Can't wait to read it, thanks for the links!
#1250 - June 13, 2007, 02:21 PM

KirstyAnn

What a fantastic story idea!  I'm going to pick up a copy as well - I'm sure my niece will want to borrow it from me!  Maybe I'll just buy a copy for her.  What age is it aimed at?  (She's 13)  I love when Netball is featured in a story too - I was obsessed. I was always goal shooter or goal attack and would practise every afternoon with a 100 hoops in the back yard ... I wouldn't go in for dinner until I got a 100 IN the goal
#1251 - June 13, 2007, 05:59 PM

benji6414

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, but thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Benjamin Murphy, I'm 26 years old, and soon to be a father of a little girl. By day I work as an ops manager for a small Internet service provider, but I'm looking to start an elementary education program at the local university. I'm debating whether to start in August or hold off another semester so I can enjoy the first few months of my child's life, along with my beautiful fiancee.

I've written an MG fantasy story over the last few years and I've recently started the hunt for an agent. I've had one big "no thanks" so far, but I'm plugging away still, as it's only been a few weeks since I've started the search. I've enjoyed reading the posts here over the last few weeks, so I thought it was time to join in.

If anyone has MySpace here, you can find me at http://www.myspace.com/benmurphywrites. I have chapter one of my book posted there, so feel free to read it and post some honest comments. I welcome any feedback!
#1252 - June 13, 2007, 07:51 PM

MandyT

Hi Benji, and welcome from a fellow blue board newbie!  I emailed you some thoughts on your chapter through myspace.  I hope you find it helpful!  Congratulations on becoming a daddy, I'm sure she will give you endless inspiration as you continue writing for children! :)  I can't wait to be a parent and have my own little 'muses' as well.  Hope to see you around here often!
#1253 - June 13, 2007, 10:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you so much, Mandy! I can't believe you ordered my book all the way from ... not here. Wow. KirstyAnn, I'm going to pm you so I don't hijack the thread, but it's aimed around 9-13.

Benji, welcome, and congrats on the imminent arrival. Good luck with your book, too. Anyone here will tell you that the road to publication is generally paved with many, many rejections. The first one is just a rite of passage!

Meg

#1254 - June 14, 2007, 01:09 AM

KirstyAnn

Welcome from me too Benji ... even though you probably saw from my above post that I'm vay, vay new to here as well!  It's a fantastic board ... I love that it's really active and nearly as soon as you post something there is always a response.  I hope to check out the chat room again over the weekend, everyone seemed really friendly the one time I was in there!  Good luck with the book as well .. it must be a great feeling to have it finished and sending off for publication!
#1255 - June 14, 2007, 04:19 AM

benji6414

Thanks for the welcome! Mandy, I got your message wrote back. Thank you for the feedback. I'd love to hear what others have to think. If anyone else has a sample of their writing, I'd love the chance to check it out.

-Ben
#1256 - June 14, 2007, 07:34 AM

Elysabeth

I finally found the board to introduce myself - My name is Elysabeth.  I have two short stories published through Echelon Press, a young adult (Butterfly Halves, just came out two weeks ago) and a mainstream fiction piece (The Tulip Kiss).  I usually write short stories and enter contests on a whim.  I have a young adult novel finished but it is in the editing stages.  I just haven't had a chance to read it or go through it and edit. 

Here is my complete bio - E :)

Elysabeth Eldering is 45 years old and lives in a small town in upper South Carolina. She enjoys reading, cross stitch, crochet and writing. Her first story was written on a dare from a friend, but she found that she really enjoyed the creative outlet. 

Her first stories were self published on www.lulu.com.  Her writing credits include "Train of Clues" (a shared second place winner on www.armchairinterviews.com), "The Proposal" (an April Fool's Day contest shared second place winner on www.armchairinterviews.com), and "The Tulip Kiss" (fast and frigid contest winner on Echelon Press - www.echelonpress.com and published on www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/ElysabethElderingeBooks.htm).   She has an article on editing and self publishing to her credit, also published on www.armchairinterviews.com.  Her latest story, a young adult fantasy, "Butterfly Halves" will be published soon.

Elysabeth also does book reviews for Armchair Interviews, Curled Up With a Good Book, and New Mystery Readers ezine. 

She is also the editor of the paranormal mystery storyline for the Magazine of Unbelievable Stories published by Quill-Pen Press.  To her credit, she has also been asked to edit novels for the same publisher in the upcoming year.  She has edited four novels and is in the process of starting her own editing service.

In 2007, Elysabeth volunteered to judge mid length stories submitted for the Derringers Awards. 

Mother of 3 children, she spends many weekends at marching band competitions. When she has free time from work, family and writing, she participates in several writing groups including Sisters in Crime and the South Carolina Writers Workshop, both in Greenville, SC.
More information on Elysabeth can be found at http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com. -

Hope you all check out my stories -

And thank you Suzy Scribbles for sending me here - E :)
#1257 - June 14, 2007, 07:52 AM

KirstyAnn

Welcome Elysabeth!  I love checking out other people's websites - I'm so nosey!! hehe

Benji - Have you tried submitting chapter 1 on critiquecircle.com?  I think it might take about 2 weeks for it to appear on the boards but could be well worth the effort.  You'll get some excellent advice there I would think.  I haven't submitted anything there yet but I've critiqued a couple and found for the most part other critiques to have been really good.

Oh man, another 20 minutes of 'writing time' spent on these boards!  Now I have to go to work  :faint:

oh well ... the weekend is nearly here maybe I can focus a bit better then.
#1258 - June 14, 2007, 02:53 PM

justpat

Hi all.  My name is Pat from Billings, Montana.  I've been writing since High School (over 20 years now), never published  :feelbad:.  I write both YA and adult contemporary.  Just found your board recently and am very impressed.  And now I don't know what else to say.  Oh, here are a few of my websites....

farwalkers.com
QueryTracker.net

Thanks for having me.
-Pat
#1259 - June 16, 2007, 05:46 AM

goadingthepen

Wow! Don't stop by here for a few days and look at all the newbies! Welcome! I am looking forward to getting to know you all!
#1260 - June 16, 2007, 11:59 AM

Members: