catephoenix

Thanks for the welcome Meg.  :books:
#1441 - August 28, 2007, 04:38 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
welcome, Cate!  love your Alfred Hitchcock quote... I attended a writer's conference where Jeffrey Deaver (The Bone Collector, etc.) was one of the workshop presenters... he used Alfred Hitchcock & the Twilight Zone as examples of anticipation being scarier than the event itself. Interestingly, one night of the conference we watched the made-from-his-book movie, The Bone Collector - and afterwards he talked about the differences between it and his book. Most notable was that the book had way less actual killing/violence - but more anticipation of same.  I try to remember that!

#1442 - August 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

ladyeclectic

Welcome to the boards Cate!!  :balloongroup:
#1443 - August 28, 2007, 06:41 AM

catephoenix

Thanks for your welcome guys.

Julia, I always keep that Alfred Hitchcock quote in mind when writing a scary scene.

Cate
#1444 - August 28, 2007, 09:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi all --

I'm new to this board, but not entirely a newbie.  I've been writing picture books for about two years - I've had a couple of things published in Fandangle Magazine (online).  It's enough to keep me thinking that my stuff isn't horrible.  I've got about a half a dozen short stories/picture books, and the very beginning of a ya novel (first chapter or so).  It's brewing.  I've been sending my pb manuscripts to publishers and agents sort of sporadically.  I haven't joined scbwi yet, but I'm planning to do it this week.  I've also been a member of critiquecircle.com and the childrens writers and illustrators Yahoo group.  So, I hope I've done my research and am at least presenting myself appropriately!

So far, this group looks like it will be very informative!

Kris
#1445 - August 28, 2007, 06:48 PM
Kristine Carlson Asselin
New England SCBWI PAL Liaison
@KristineAsselin

ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT, Bloomsbury Spark, Winter 2015

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Welcome, Cate and Kris! This is a wonderful place....  ;D
#1446 - August 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

LauraGilmour

My name is Laura Gilmour. I am a 21-year-old psychology student. I have been writing MG fiction since I was about 12 years old. It is only in the last two or three years I have produced things I believe are marketable. As an adolesent I won a 1997 regional poetry contest and had a 2003 essay published in the World Trade Centers Association Book of Honor. I have recieved some encouraging comments from editors on my writing but have not yet been offered a contract. In the past year I have posted on critique circle and recieved a consultation from my college's writer in residence. All of these things have been helpful.
#1447 - August 29, 2007, 11:45 AM

L.N.Lee

xD Another Laura! This reminds me of camp, where we had three Lauras from the same school in the same cabin.
Welcome everyone! This is a wonderful place!
#1448 - August 29, 2007, 06:08 PM

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm a newbie here but not new to writing. I've been writing for a number of years but have only started thinking of publication within the last year. This board attracted me because it's more focused on the age group I'm writing for.
#1449 - September 02, 2007, 08:03 AM

momadigan

I haven't popped in to the Welcome board lately - hello, everyone! So glad to meet you.

I love knowing that I can log on at any time of the day or night, and someone else from another point on the planet will be here, too ... busily reading, learning, cheering, and offering support.

Happy writing!

Lisa

:writing3:

#1450 - September 02, 2007, 08:43 AM

blue eyed squirrel

Hi everyone!

I've been reading what everyone has to say and now I get to ask for advice!
I'm REALLY new!  :baby: :baby:
I'm blue eyed squirrel, you can call me Kiki
I've got a few projects going, but I'm super slow.  :snail:
Everyone here is sooooooooooooooo nice, I feel like I'm in good hands.

Smiles!
Kiki
#1451 - September 02, 2007, 01:05 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Kiki and Guinevere. We're glad you've joined our forum. :)

Cassandra
#1452 - September 02, 2007, 01:07 PM

blue eyed squirrel

This board is awesome! Thanks Cassandra for the warm welcome!  :hug1:

Smiles!
Kiki
#1453 - September 02, 2007, 01:20 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Kiki & Guinevere - Verla's is such a great place to be!   :yup
#1454 - September 02, 2007, 04:48 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Thanks for the warm welcome.  :yay
#1455 - September 02, 2007, 05:55 PM

L.N.Lee

Welcome everyone! This forum is such a nice place! Kiki, maybe joining the Fast Drafting in September thread will motivate you to go faster.  :cuccoan:
It sure has done that to me! I went from writing a page a YEAR to writing 150 pgs a month!
#1456 - September 02, 2007, 06:09 PM

StarvingArtist

Hello there!

I've been lurking around the board over the last few months and finally decided it was time I came out of the shadows.

My name's Rachel. I'm 21 and trying desperately to graduate college. I've recently just moved to Florida and transfered schools, marking my fourth major change in my college career, which means I'm so horribly behind.  Although I'm a senior this year, I still have another two years to go. Bummer. I at one point majored in English because I love to write, but am currently in Studeo Art.  I don't know why.  If I never had to work another day in my life I'd write all the time, but I guess I just didn't want to actually study English.

I've been writing stories since I was very, very young. I love it! I guess I write mostly fantasy, but a little bit of all. There are some novels and young adult books floating all over the place here. I have writing ADD though. I normally get about half way to a quarter of the way through one manuscript and have good ideas for another, so I try to do a little of both. So, ultimately, I'm unpublished but have about 10 half done projects.  :P

And I write too much on these things always... Sorry bout that.

Very happy to be here though!

:dancing:
#1457 - September 06, 2007, 05:08 PM

Welcome to the board, Rachel! ;D

#1458 - September 06, 2007, 06:01 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Cuttlequeep

Welcome!
#1459 - September 06, 2007, 07:26 PM

StarvingArtist

Thanks!

:hug1:
#1460 - September 08, 2007, 12:27 PM

BettRest

Howdy Folks,

My name is Bettina and I write primarily young adult.  I've been at it for 5ish years.  A member of SCBWI, and I was quite active when I was with the Houston group.  I'm now in Dallas, and not so active.  I have several wonderful critique groups that I enjoy.  I lurk on many boards, but decided it was time to get active on Verla Kay because the info is just so good.

I look forward to reading your entries!
-bett
#1461 - September 09, 2007, 05:52 PM

Okay, the lurking is finally over.

Hi! My name is Dawn. I began writing when I could hold a crayon and scribble notes to my parents to express my feelings that were too big to say aloud. I wrote my first full manuscript at age 11 (300+ pages of babble) and wrote six more by age 15. Going for a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing pretty much squashed any interest I had in becoming a real writer, and so I switched to my other passion: gender studies and self-esteem. (I did end up getting degrees in English Lit and Anthropology, both concentrating on gender issues.) I have been working professionally in prevention education and adolescent studies for over fifteen years -- getting a Master's Degree, a black belt in Shaolin Kempo, my own business and a husband-plus-two kids along the way.

I kept writing. I write because I breathe. I can't help it, really.

So, one day my husband had had enough and sat me down [Butt In Chair, Jane Yolen fans!] at the computer to join SCBWI which I had long been debating. And lo' -- the next weekend was the regional conference, and I up and went! Inspired by the amazing people I met there including writers, editors and one particularly "Fantastic" agent, I wrote my first MG manuscript. It was followed by three others -- all fantasy and most YA -- in quick succession and now I can't stop. As a chocoholic, it's like an endless bowl of Lindt nibs.

Now it's almost five years later and I have incredible critique groups, many ideas to explore, queries sailing hither and thither, some positive experience and close-calls under my belt, a black sash for Miss Snark, great respect for the cluegun, and more than one peronsal contact that I made through SCBWI that will change my life forever. I find the Blue Boards fascinating and worth every moment I'm away from my writing...damn you all! I'm loving it here & can't wait to learn more!

Hey, Bettina! I'm much the same in that I write YA and have been lurking around. I guess we both decided to pop up and take a look! And, like, StarvingArtist, I've written WAY too much and will stop now.
#1462 - September 10, 2007, 06:51 AM

kevinscottcollier

I'm Kevin Collier, author and illustrator. Had over 50 books published in the past 3 years. Work as Art Director for a daily newspaper, teach writing and art classes locally (Grand Haven, MI.)

Good to be here.

- Kev
http://kevinscottcollier.com
#1463 - September 10, 2007, 08:11 AM

katie

Hello.  My name is Katie.  It took me two lattes this morning to get the nerve to introduce myself, but I'm finally doing it. 

I have written two MG manuscripts, one of which is in a slush pile and the other is in a box on my nightstand. 

I already love this board and dream about the day when I will be able to offer some of the valuable advice like I've read here.  You guys are so talented, funny, and sensitive, and I can't wait to get to know you all better.

Hello to the new guys who posted just above me, too.

-Katie
#1464 - September 10, 2007, 09:02 AM

Wow!  Lots of great newcomers!  I haven't posted a hello to new people on the introduction thread in a while, so let me be the first to welcome you all!
#1465 - September 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

BettRest

Katy, Kevin and Dawn,

Welcome newbies (well, not so new) non lurker. 
#1466 - September 10, 2007, 06:56 PM

Welcome to all the newcomers.
#1467 - September 13, 2007, 05:50 AM

clockworkfoundry

Morning, everybody! I'm Kate Milford, and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to registering for these boards, but here I am, and I'm so excited to be here! I'm a jack-of-all-trades trying to turn myself into a decent YA writer. I also work as an occasional screenwriter and absolutely love short stories (again, I'm not good at them, but I'm working on it). I love fantasy, especially that weird fabulist/slipstream corner of the genre. I'm an occasional poster on the SCBWI boards, and I can't wait to meet the crowd here! 
#1468 - September 15, 2007, 06:50 AM

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
 Welcome all you newcomers. I'm still fairly new at these boards as well and am loving it! I am also addicted. This is a great resource for writers and illustrators out there as well as a fun community.

Hey Kate (Clockworkfoundry)! It's good to see you over here.

Traci
#1469 - September 15, 2007, 03:16 PM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

clockworkfoundry

Hi, Tracy! Nice to see a familiar...name-and-forthcoming-title...!

#1470 - September 15, 2007, 05:12 PM

Members: