SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

big daddies

Greetings, I am Rogers and live in Illinois!  Married, old, definitely don't ask, LOL.  Newbie, have already self published, and looking to continue my improvement, which is everyday.. :writing3:

Looking forward to making great connections!  O0  I wish, hair went some time back.........
#1471 - September 16, 2007, 03:22 PM

Welcome bigdaddies and clockworkfoundry.
#1472 - September 17, 2007, 07:39 AM

BettRest

Welcome newbies!

I suggest you build you postings.  The more you read and post, the better it gets!

Bett
#1473 - September 17, 2007, 02:44 PM

afraclose

Hello, all! I've finally joined the boards after peeking in and out for the few months. It's neat that I recognize so many names here from LJ land. *squints and waves*

Now, how can I say all of this stuff without sounding like a dorky newb?

Ah! A form!

Name: Allison Fraclose
Published: No, except for a few poems in non-paying markets
Core genre: MG and YA, but I've dabbled in early-readers
Qualifications: A BA in Creative Writing, a few classes with the Institute, and a few years of Nanowrimo. I've also been a member of SCBWI in the past, and will be reinstating my membership as soon as I can scrounge up the membership fee.

I just finished my second novel, a YA, and will be starting the great agent search as soon as I finish revising the first one, an MG. In the meantime, I'm looking over the stack of short stories and poetry I've completed over the years to send out to magazines. Currently, I"m seeking a critique group, and I just applied to join the most recent one that I saw advertised on the critique thread. Man, I hope it's not full yet...I have the most rotten luck finding groups.

I'm hoping to learn a lot, and am excited to be here!
#1474 - September 20, 2007, 08:56 PM

BettRest

Welcome.

I'm also a YA person and in search of a new agent.  I've found that agentquery.com and the agent board here really helps narrow and focus my search.

Good luck!
#1475 - September 21, 2007, 07:32 AM

Estee

Howdy--I just found this place.  I've been on LH and Hatrack, but I'm so excited to find a place especially for people like me--ones who never grew up!  I'm hoping I can swing around here a couple of times of week and get to know lots of fellow writers.  Here's my info:

Name: Estee Wood
Location: Northern California (this is new--moved here last month from middle-of-nowhere Northeastern Colorado.)
Genre: middle grade and YA mostly fantasy and contemporary.
Published: no--still hoping
I have a BS in Youth Leadership, and taught 6th grade for two years in AZ.  I've been writing for 9 years, and have 11 completed books--all but two I consider WIP though.  I have 4 kids ages 9-3--my two oldest boys who are 7 & 9 are honest critiquers :)  I'm trying to teach them the craft--although my oldest thinks writing is the most horrible thing in the world to have to do!  He loves to read though.  I'm a three year breast cancer survivor, and I hope to do big things with this life that I'm so thankful to still have.

I'm also looking for a crit group--I see there a lot of us doing that, huh.  Anyone know of anything here in Northern Cali?  an emailing group would be a good start too--maybe after I get to know more people.  Or now if anyone is up to it :jump

Thanks for such great resources here,
Estee
#1476 - September 21, 2007, 11:46 AM

catknutsson

Hello,

I didn't realize there was an intro thread or I would have popped in earlier!  I've lurked about here for the last year or so and figured it was about time I signed up.  Thank you to everyone here for all the information and advice - I've learned a lot whilst lurking.

As for me, I'm mid-agent-search for a YA fantasy and have a had a couple of short stories accepted for publication.  I also edit for Shimmer magazine (www.shimmerzine.com), run an on-line critique group, and have been a denizen of LJ land for a while (http://bachsoprano.livejournal.com/) in addition to my real-life stuff (teaching singing). 

Um...I think that's it! :D
#1477 - September 21, 2007, 12:05 PM

Afraclose, Estee, and catknutsson -- welcome aboard! ;D

#1478 - September 21, 2007, 06:11 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Lalam

Hi, I'm Laura and a struggling YA writer.  Struggling with the actual writing part!  I have two children aged 17 and 3 1/2 (both girls).  Teen angst is my life.  So why the hell not write about it! I have a hubby, a dog, a house and a full-time job. I'm masochistic:)
#1479 - September 26, 2007, 11:12 AM

Welcome, Laura! :)
#1480 - September 26, 2007, 06:24 PM

JustinDono

I can't believe I never properly introduced myself.  Better late than never I guess.

Name: Justin Andrew Childress
Genre: middle grade and YA mostly fantasy, some horror on the way.
Published: Hahaha. No.  Well sort of.  Some book reviews in a YA literary journal, and my micro fiction won first place in a San Diego based magazine.  No books though.

I've got a website at www.booksofcraft.com and a Deviant art page that i forgot the address to at the moment.  Aside from here on the BlueBoards, the only other online community I frequent with any regularity is Forumopolis.  I'd describe the Blueboards as a really awesome bookstore with a very cozy, social cafe, best visited during a lazy afternoon.  Forumopolis is a downtown bar at midnight.  I've been here for over a year now and really enjoy it.  It's informative, fun, and a nice place to talk shop or justblow off steam in the company of my fellow children's authors/artists.

The "Dono" part of my name is actually a joke.  In Japanese there's a variety of honorific titles one can add to somebody's name, such as San, Sama, Kun, Chan, and Dono.  Dono is the highest "rank" one can add to a name and is typically reserved for people who are royalty.  No, I'm not pompous, remember, it's a joke, tongue firmly in cheek.  Ever hear of the Justinian Empire and Emperor Justin?  Real stuff.  My friends ribbed me about it back in highschool world history, and I've used EmperorJustin or a variation thereof as a running gag for my internet handles ever since. 

I don't know why I never posted a "hello" post.  Everybody around here is so nice it seems odd I'd avoid formally introducing myself.

So hello!  May the BlueBoards go on forever!
#1481 - September 28, 2007, 11:06 AM
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:10 AM by JustinDono »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest

The "Dono" part of my name is actually a joke.  In Japanese there's a variety of honorific titles one can add to somebody's name, such as San, Sama, Kun, Chan, and Dono.  Dono is the highest "rank" one can add to a name and is typically reserved for people who are royalty. 

That's funny, Justin, because ever since I first saw your name, that's how I've read it. I had no idea that's what you actually meant. At high school in Japan, my friends and I used to attach 'dono' to someone's name as a way of telling them they were getting too big for their britches. I was mostly Megu-chan back then, but that's about a lifetime ago now. These days, I insist on sensei, at the very least!
#1482 - September 29, 2007, 02:18 AM

CherylR

Hi everyone,

This looks like such a supportive, helpful board--and a fantastic resource. I'm glad to have re-discovered it.

My name is Cheryl Rainfield. I primarily write YA fiction--both paranormal fantasy and gritty contemporary fiction. I try to write what I love to read. I've had two short stories published, and I have some tentative interest in my current YA paranormal fantasy (gulping). Right now I'm frantically editing and rewriting (I received two separate, but similar, revision letters in the space of a week) for an October deadline. I've been writing--and trying to get published--for years.

I recently started a book blog (http://www.CherylRainfield.com/blog), which I'm really enjoying; it's made me feel more a part of the kidlit world. I'm also very fortunate to have an in-person writer's critique group. It's one that I have to pay for, but through it, I have gained a community of writers, and that helps so much. (Sometimes it's hard to work in so much isolation.) The other thing that helps and that feels so good is connecting with other children's/teen writers--or readers who enjoy those genres--online. The connections, the sharing of support and information--I think it's so important. 

So hello to everyone here. :)

Cheryl
#1483 - September 29, 2007, 12:29 PM

gecn

Hello!  My name is Gail.  I just joined after lurking around for a few months.  I'm in the middle of doing my first round of editing on my current WIP.  I'm not sure how to categorize it - perhaps as tween?  It's not quite YA, but it's more "teen" than MG.  Anyway, I'm slogging through the editing process and second-guessing everything I've written!  I'm hoping I'll find some good writing and editing tips on these boards :)

And, WOW, the number of smilies available is insane!  I like this one the best:  :moose  Or maybe this one:  :horse  I can't decide!
#1484 - September 29, 2007, 03:01 PM

Welcome aboard, Cheryl and Gail! :)

#1485 - September 29, 2007, 04:49 PM

CherylR

Thanks, G.R. And yeah, Gail, there are a TON of smileys. I didn't even  notice the moose one until you posted it; it's cute. Tween sounds like a good fit for what you described.
#1486 - September 30, 2007, 08:02 AM

L.N.Lee

Welcome everyone! Oh look, another Laura!  ;D
#1487 - September 30, 2007, 09:26 AM

circe68

Hi everyone! My name is Gina. I'm very new to the children's writing gig (about six months), but I have loads of rejection letters already. I'll confess I've been a lurker for the past few weeks, but I thought I'd have more fun, and support if I actually came aboard. See you around the water cooler..........
#1488 - October 02, 2007, 01:23 PM

Welcome aboard, Gina! (That's my name, too, but with an 'e' in place of the 'i'.) :)

#1489 - October 02, 2007, 05:24 PM

Stone Writer

Hi everyone,
   The name is Chris. I graduated from an MA in Writing program last May and worked on my young adult (although some tell me it's more middle grade) project as my thesis. I completed it in June and am trying to land an agent. I'm trying to get my feet wet in the world of publishing. At 25, I hope I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I'm sure I'll be posting on the response times as my rejections come rolling in. Hope to get to know some of you soon!
#1490 - October 07, 2007, 02:15 PM
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:31 PM by Stone Writer »

Welcome, Chris! I hope you have fun posting here. :)

#1491 - October 07, 2007, 06:19 PM

YA author and one girl band
Poster Plus
Hello,

I'm a 20-something Jill of all trades--writer, one girl band, web designer, photographer...  I like art. You get the point, right? Anyway, I write YA urban fantasy and straight YA. My material tends to revolve around musicians :) I started my agent search for the first time last month. I was looking for representation on an urban fantasy series and it's been a real learning experience for me. I'm determined to keep trying as I've dreamed of being a writer my entire life. It's one of those things that you can't just stop doing regardless of the amount of rejections. I'm happy to report I've had some nibbles, but nothing concrete yet.

I love writing fiction, but I'm terrible when it comes to writing about myself. I never know quite what to say. I'm always looking for critique buddies or simply people to mope with after a rejection before we dust ourselves off and try again. I think the search for an agent or publisher can be made easier when you have people to share it with.

And I guess that's it.... I look forward to participating.
#1492 - October 09, 2007, 03:07 PM
http://thetaratracks.com
My editorial services for YA & MG writers: http://violetink.org
Author of HARMONIC FEEDBACK & AMPLIFIED (Holt)

Welcom, guitarnaiad! This is an awesome place to be for writers. Lots of info and cool people! Have fun looking around and good luck submitting to agents. ;)
#1493 - October 09, 2007, 04:29 PM
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Kate

Hey all,

Another newbie here. I'm a twenty-something pr director, giving writing my first official shot. I've always had overactive imagination; my mind is constantly running in one direction or another until I completely forget whatever it is that I'm doing. Some time in late July/early August of this year, it occurred to me that all of these stories running around in my head could be put down to paper (or monitor). Sooo a couple weeks later, I decided to see what might happen if I tried to write one of these suckers. It's been two months, and 80k words. I'm just about finished with my first draft and soon to be brutally revising. Who knew I would love this so much?

I find myself gravitating toward YA fantasy. And I'm totally hooked on the writing. Regardless of what happens, I doubt I'll be able to stop from this point on (we'll see what I have to say about all of this after my first twenty or so rejections). I've been reading the boards for a few weeks now and decided that it was time to jump in. I can't wait to get you know everyone!
#1494 - October 11, 2007, 05:57 PM

Welcome to the board, Kate! :)

#1495 - October 12, 2007, 11:51 AM

Bluebug

Hi!  Just found this thread or I would've introduced myself earlier.

I'm almost 38 (will be on sunday!)  :yay  and work as an office manager for a water utility management company in north Texas.  I write YA fiction and am currently shopping for an agent--Got a partial and a full out at the moment.  Also, I'm an ICL graduate.

My user name refers to the fact that I'm a research-a-holic.   :books:

I love this board!!   :dancing:
#1496 - October 17, 2007, 12:52 PM

ninajw

Hi everyone,
I just found this thread too, and since I am still a Newbie, thought I'd post.  Let's see... I'm a writer in my early thirties living in CT.  I started out writing plays (for adults), but wrote a YA mystery the other summer, and I find myself writing more and more for young people.  I began my life as an actress, and my first love is theatre.  These days I teach drama and English, and I am only just beginning to take my writing seriously- although I am currently dealing with a serious bout of writer's block.  Glad I found this board!   :)
#1497 - October 17, 2007, 04:40 PM

Welcome aboard, lostjoyfound and Infojunkie. I hope you both have a lot of fun posting here! ;D

#1498 - October 17, 2007, 06:17 PM

momalisa

Hello everyone!
I've been away from the blue boards for a while but I'm glad to be back.  Just wanted to say hello and welcome to all the new members. 

Happy writing!
#1499 - October 18, 2007, 05:32 PM

laffter

This is my first post! I'm a YA writer from Upstate NY with one completed ms--out in query land-- and one just started. Y'all are a fun bunch and clearly, you know how to write!

Laffter
#1500 - October 21, 2007, 03:48 PM

Members: