SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

NiennaC

Thanks for the welcomes G.R., MegM and olmue! And even though I'm new, too: welcome scott and Arya from a fellow newbie!
#1531 - November 07, 2007, 06:17 PM

Ivy1

Hi to everyone!

I've been writing in historical fiction for three years.  This past year I moved into YA and at this moment I'm working on my first MG.  If anyone knows some great MGs with lots of voice, please let me know!  I'm reading all I can to learn this genre.
#1532 - November 11, 2007, 03:21 PM

JB

Welcome all newbies. Hope you find these boards as friendly and enlightening as I do. It's a great place to "hang out."
#1533 - November 11, 2007, 07:47 PM

KirstyAnn

Hi and welcome to all the newbies! 

Ivy - I'm currently working on a MG as well, which is loads of fun.  Voice is something I'm interested in too ... my current favourites would be Lemony Snicket (as frustrating as he is sometimes), JK Rowling and I've been re-reading tonnes of Roald Dahl.  Paul Jennings is my latest favourite - he is an Australian author but I think he has some books released in the US.  My biggest problem for my current work is trying to find which POV I'm telling the story from as it seems to change every chapter!  But I guess that's all part of finding your 'voice' (well it is for me anyways).  But I'm glad to see you asking for recommendations for reading ... it really is the best way to learn.  There are a couple of threads on here where people list their favourite books so check those out and they should help!
#1534 - November 12, 2007, 08:04 PM

nomi

Funny being called a "newbie" when I am probably classified as an "old-bie" by age!  I grew up in Arizona, but have lived in Pennsylvania all my married life, so I'm more from PA than AZ, I suspect.  I taught school (pre-first, first grade and reading support) prior to my youngest son's illness (8 years ago), and since he still struggles, I'm home.  I used to take my writing desires out on my classes, so now I just fill pages (and hard drives!).  I've been published twice in periodicals, and have three awaiting publication, but I'm chasing that elusive book!  My four older kids are all in college (well, the oldest is married and has two little girls--thank goodness he's through with school).  They are all artists of one kind or another.  I'm just a mess maker.  I guess my strong point will be that I have years of experience to draw from for storylines.  I love it here! :yup
#1535 - November 12, 2007, 08:08 PM

Ivy1

Kirsty Ann,

Thanks so much for the book recs!  My MG is in First.  I always wrote in Third, but when I started YA used First and fell in love.  :)  I use character sheets to help learn my voice for all my characters.  I don't have a clue if it actually works or not, but they are fun to do anyway.
#1536 - November 13, 2007, 06:17 AM

Hi all,
I write contemporary YA and my first MS is out on submission.  I discovered this site when I was googling an agent's name and one of the links led me here.  I only wish I'd found this site sooner, but better late than never.  I love how helpful and informative these boards are, especially the agent response times board.  It's a resource for finding additional names as well as seeing how long or short the wait will be.  (I can't believe some agents e-ject people in 20 minutes, that should be illegal.)  I'm used to lurking more than posting, but since you're not a full-fledged member until you get 50 posts, I'll have to force myself to comment more.  I'm really looking forward to learning more this site and the writers on it!
#1537 - November 13, 2007, 05:52 PM

Ivy1, nomi, and greeneyes -- welcome! I'm glad y'all are enjoying yourselves here. ;D

#1538 - November 13, 2007, 06:01 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Ivy1

Welcome greeneyes & nomi!

greeneyes, I stumbled on this board the same way you did.   :)
#1539 - November 14, 2007, 04:57 AM

Emily Hendricks

Greetings!

I'm Emily, I'm currently writing a middle-grade novel that is coming along rather nicely. I read obsessively, love watchig Law and Order, and I hope to get my book finished by Thanksgiving. (The first draft.)  After that, it's on to revision!

Nice to meet you all!
#1540 - November 15, 2007, 08:49 PM

Ivy1:  So great to meet a fellow stumbler!
Emily Hendricks:  I love Law & Order too, and hope the writer's strike doesn't mean it won't return in January.
#1541 - November 15, 2007, 09:24 PM

nomi

I'm currently working on a novel following the lives of four teenage girls with major issues and disorders.  :reading2
Arya, Welcome!  It's great to be serious about your writing at such a young age.  Sounds like an interesting project you're working on...keep us posted! 

Does Law and Order affect very many of us? 

Welcome to the boards, newbies!  Nomi
#1542 - November 16, 2007, 09:44 AM

Emily Hendricks

I love Law & Order too, and hope the writer's strike doesn't mean it won't return in January.

I know! I support the strike and everything, but I'm going to really be not happy if I don't get my new L&O episodes...
#1543 - November 16, 2007, 11:36 AM

barb95831

I'm glad I found this community. :lov:

The majority of my published writing has been adult non-fiction, however I had two NF articles published in Listen and Fandangle magazines.
A couple years ago, I decided I'd like to find another genre besides NF. So realizing how much I learned from prior workshops I joined Boost.
First, I was in a PB workshop then decided I'd like to learn about MG and YA so went into a general workshop. I have several stories I've written but have not had any luck getting them published. :-[

I live in Sacramento, CA with my partner and our animal companions. I started writing by default. When I moved to CA, from my lifelong home in IA, I couldn't find a job in my chosen profession in human services. Now, I'm a full time writer, and volunteer as a suicide prevention counselor.

Barb
#1544 - November 17, 2007, 12:13 PM

Welcome aboard, Barb. :)

#1545 - November 18, 2007, 05:40 PM

nomi

Welcome, Barb.  Sounds like your background is going to bring great voice to your writing!
Nomi
#1546 - November 19, 2007, 08:27 PM

embarker

Hi all, I just joined and have found this to be a great resource. Wish me luck as I start querying for my first novel.

thanks!
#1547 - November 20, 2007, 07:15 AM

Welcome and good luck, embarker! ;D

#1548 - November 20, 2007, 06:16 PM

Good luck embarker!  I'm querying too and by the time it's done, I doubt I'll have any fingernails left.
#1549 - November 20, 2007, 07:06 PM

nomi

Wish me luck as I start querying for my first novel.
Hurry and get it out there, embarker!  You can join us in the Turkey Trenches!
Welcome to the boards!  :yup Nomi
#1550 - November 20, 2007, 07:53 PM

stuckey8

Hi ya'll.  I'm new.  I've visited the board for about a month but this is my first post.  I currently teach elementary school (reading support) and have two pb's waiting to be subbed.  I have six kids and enjoy the challenge of finding time to write.  I have really  enjoyed the boards but my wife gives me the evil eye if I stay on too long.  I hope to post more.  See ya! :typing:
#1551 - November 24, 2007, 11:10 AM

Welcome stuckey!  I know what you mean about staying on these boards too long, they really are addictive!
#1552 - November 24, 2007, 04:01 PM

Ivy1

Hi to all the newbies!

And greeneyes, missing fingernails are good.  The lost braincells of mine in this query process is bad. 
#1553 - November 25, 2007, 11:31 AM

Holly Bayne

Hello, everyone.  I'm still new here, but recognize some of you from SCBWI.  It's good to be here.  I have a new (very bare) blog at the web address below.  Nice to be in good company. :balloongroup:
#1554 - November 25, 2007, 12:05 PM

soniag

Hi all!  I've been lurking for several weeks (such a friendly & informative place!), but only just now realized there was a spot to introduce myself.

I'm Sonia, currently on leave from teaching high school English to work on my second YA historical.  (The first is still making the rounds with agents -- what a painful process.)  As of today I'm at 40,000 in my NaNoWriMo word count. 

I'm always on the lookout for writerly Livejournal friends, if you're so inclined!   
#1555 - November 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:25 PM by soniag »

Ivy1:  Oh I'm sure I've lost braincells too in this nerve wracking query process but am probably too dain-bramaged to realize it yet.

Sonia:  Welcome to the boards and congrats on the submission and the 40K NaNoWriMo.  I'm especially jealous of the latter accomplishment since I stalled at about 15K words.
#1556 - November 25, 2007, 05:37 PM

lesaboutin

I too just found the "introdue yourself." My name is Lesa Boutin and I write for middle grade. My first book, Amanda Noble, Zookeeper Extraordinaire, came out this past April.  I'm thrilled with this site and can't wait to get to know everyone.
#1557 - November 26, 2007, 09:29 AM

Hellooo everyone!

Wow...read through some of the previous posts and I am honored to be in such great company!!!  I found this website thanks to the Blooming Tree submission thread on the SCBWI website boards (thanks Kay!!!) and (as many have stated before me) I've been "visiting" for about a week and really enjoying this!  I recognize some of my fellow members of SCBWI (hi!, I'm Write On there...it was already taken here).  About me?  Well, I am the proud mom of two teenage boys (both in college now...I am in the midst of empty nest syndrome...sniffle), run a business with my wonderfully supportive husband, am owned by a sweet but demanding cat and feel most like "me" when I am writing. 

And I'm excited to be a part of such a neat group!  Happy Holidays and hugs to you all!  Jodi  :hug1:

#1558 - November 26, 2007, 02:25 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

MichelleBud

I've been enjoying reading and posting everywhere else on these boards that I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Michelle and I'm a college senior. The big thing happening in my life right now is that I'm writing my senior honors thesis (on children's literature). As graduation lurks in the very near future, I've finally been able to say out loud that I want to be a children's book author "when I grow up."
#1559 - November 26, 2007, 03:25 PM

Lesa, Jodi, and Michelle -- welcome to the board! ;D

#1560 - November 26, 2007, 05:23 PM

Members: