SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Thanks G.R.!  Welcome to Lesa and Michelle too!  By the way Michelle, who says you have to "grow up"?   :horse
#1561 - November 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

MichelleBud

Thanks Jodi! I'll keep that in mind the next time someone asks the inevitable "what are you doing after you graduate?" question.
#1562 - November 26, 2007, 08:13 PM

Michelle,

I just bought a desk sign for my husband that says "If you haven't 'grown up' by age 50, you don't have to", so you can see OUR family dynamics!  :)   Just sent our baby off to college (now we have two in college - yikes!)...your parents must be so proud of you!  The very best of luck to you on completing your honors thesis!
#1563 - November 26, 2007, 09:02 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

momadigan

Welcome, everyone!

:hug1:
#1564 - November 27, 2007, 06:01 AM

maryjoprado

Hi Everyone...I have been lurking for awhile.There's really a wealth of information here on the boards and I  have been reading through the posts every little chance I get.I have found some really great tips and I appreciate them too.My name is MJ and I am from Baltimore,Maryland.
I am in my 40's,single Mom,commercial artist and I just had my first book published,The Super Heroes Save Christmas and I self published the other Grandma,What Is Cancer? I love to draw and paint in water colors.I also love to write for children.I also have a little creative storefront on zazzle.com/mjdaleyprado so I keep really busy as I am sure all of you do too.

I  just wanted to say welcome to those who just came onboard and hello to everyone.
Sincerely-Mary :writing3:
#1565 - November 27, 2007, 10:32 AM

BillyHill

Hello, everyone. 

My name is Kim Myhre.  I live on 20 acres in Montana with my husband, four boys--7, 8, 11, and 16--two horses, one Great Dane, and two cats.

I've been writing since about 2000.  I have managed some minor success in magazines and sold a query letter to one of the book market guides.  I'm currently trying to break into the realm of book publishing  with an MG fantasy.

I've been a member of the SCBWI for several years, but never got around to trying out the Verla Kay boards.  I'm glad I finally decided to come in and look around.  It's nice to see so many great, creative minds out there.

Kim   
#1566 - November 27, 2007, 01:56 PM

Welcome aboard, Kim and Mary! :)

#1567 - November 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

musing girl

Hi everyone,

I'm Melissa and another college student--a nursing student to be precise.  I've been lurking for a few days, marveling at the size and vast amounts of information in one place.  It's kind of overwhelming, in a good way.  I've been writing since I discovered it was another way to play pretend that adults found acceptable (as opposed to dressing up or playing Barbies).  I write YA fantasy/paranormal/horror...anything that basically wouldn't happen in everyday life.  I'm currently unpublished, but I have hope that one day I'll see some of my stories in print.
#1568 - November 28, 2007, 07:51 PM

Welcome Melissa, Kim, and Mary!  This is a fantastic community and I hope you love it as much as I do.   :)
#1569 - November 28, 2007, 08:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Welcome everyone! This is an awesome community - you'll love it! Glad to have you all join us.
#1570 - November 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

AnneMarie_writes

Hello fellow writers!

My name is Anne Marie (not to be confused with the mod of the same name). I've been lurking on the board for about a month before joining. I live with an adorable beagle in Denver, Colorado. Last month I started querying for a YA edgy/dark fantasy. So far the responses have been rejections. Quick, easy, rejections. This board keeps reminding me that I'm truly not alone.

I look forward to basking in your sage advice.

~ AM
#1571 - December 01, 2007, 12:52 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Welcome, Anne Marie! :)

Anne Marie
#1572 - December 01, 2007, 04:53 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Welcome Anne Marie!  I'm sorry about the rejections, but as you've already found out on these boards, you're far from alone.
#1573 - December 01, 2007, 06:29 AM

kazdreamer

Hello, I've been lurking here for a couple of months so thought it was time I de-cloaked. I recognise a few faces here from LJ (Olmue, Robin, 'Other' Karen ;)) so it's good to be amongst friends.

I'm Karen from London in the U.K. I used to write loads when I was a kid (didn't we all? *g*), then had a half-serious attempt at the short story market in my twenties. I got some great feedback but, because I didn't actually get published I foolishly gave up for more than 5 years (!!) before getting back down to a serious writing schedule in January this year. So far I've produced half an adult novel that stalled lots of times... but I am currently about 5,000 words (two chapters) away from finishing my current WiP - an urban fantasy for the older YA market. :) Hurrah! I'm hoping to have it revised and ready to submit in Jan/Feb 2008.

Nice to be here - it's a fabulous community with so much brilliant information.

Cheers,
Karen
#1574 - December 01, 2007, 03:00 PM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:02 PM by kazdreamer »

Mussel Bound

Welcome all you newcomers, and a big congrats to those of you who graduated from lurkdome to participation - you won't regret it, I promise.

And Lesa, I absolutely love your signature quote - best laugh I've had all day, and it's so very true!

#1575 - December 01, 2007, 03:17 PM

SuzyQ

Hi everyone!

My name is Sue but my close family still calls me Suzy.  I live in GA with my husband and two girls ages 2 (this week) and 5.  I am a full time high school science teacher half way through my career.  Before the kids, my hobby involved pastel drawing (mainly animals).  But with the arrival of the munchkins, I quickly lost touch with my personal outlets. 

I wrote my first children's book in 2003, inspired by none other than my oldest child.  Writing, I found, could be done in small spurts, unlike drawing or painting.  Naps and bedtimes brought relief and time to do something for me again...write.  I submitted my first story to 4 publishers.  Two form letters and two sent rejections back stating that the story wasn't what they were looking for but they would like to see more of my work.  But I became distracted by my work life and family and put writing on the back-burner until this past May.

I met an author of an adult book through her website.  I entered a contest to win a prize by telling a story about how her book affected my life.  She liked my entry and contacted me through email.  Long story short, she ended up reading my children's book and liked it too.  It inspired me to rewrite, revise, and start some new projects.  I received my first rejection this week since attempting the submission process again in July.  But it was a good, personal rejection and that has spurred me on. 

I'm jumping in fully dressed and eyes wide open.   I've joined SCBWI and a local writer's workshop.  I'm also gearing up to attend some conferences.  I'm learning the hard way that you can't believe everything people tell you about this business.  I've made some mistakes already and I feel like I'm off to a rocky start, despite the postive rejection.  But on the upside, I think I've found a way to get back on the main road to reliable information.  ;)

I look forward to hitting the boards in the evening with you.
Best Regards,
SuzyQ

#1576 - December 02, 2007, 05:48 PM

Welcome SuzyQ!  I'm a first time submitter too and have learned enough from these boards to know that you shouldn't beat yourself up over rejections and your start probably isn't rocky, just "normal."  :)  After you've been on here a few weeks, you'll see.
#1577 - December 02, 2007, 07:42 PM

Mussel Bound

I thought SuzyQ's start was wonderful, actually - above normal.  (sure wish I could see the smileys...)

Welcome to Verla Kay and to SCBWI, SuzyQ - I'm lobster over there on those boards, and am pretty sure I've seen you around recently. 

#1578 - December 02, 2007, 07:52 PM

BJNewman

I just discovered this thread last night!  Unfortunately, I only have blue boxes with questions marks or I would happily use one of those little guys to show how helpful I find this site. I am pretty new to the boards. Mostly I just lurk...

Anyway, my name is Barbara Johansen Newman. I am a long time illustrator and a new author. I write and/or  illustrate pbs and chapter books, and I am working on a MG/YA. Right now I am in the middle of the whole agent thing; as much as I have always enjoyed the hustle and the hunt, I think I really need an agent to sub things for me and handle paperwork. Everyone here has been very helpful with all the information they share.  I find the procedure incredibly daunting. It is nice to know I am not the only one that does!

Thanks to Verla for creating this board and thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

barbjn
#1579 - December 03, 2007, 07:29 AM

Welcome BJ!
Hey, the icons are back! :D
#1580 - December 03, 2007, 07:51 PM

brian_ohio

Name: Brian
Date: No... I'm married
Agent: Rachel Vater
Write: Humorous YA (fantasy, urban fantasy)
Kids: Four... four... *blowing nose, wiping eyes, trying to get this out* four daughters! *Whah! Whah!* 13,13,10,4
Bio: I'm human... Oh! Sorry I thought that was short for 'Biology'.
Biography: I've been writing (and trying to get published) for about fourteen years. Started at 28, I'm now 42. I'm currently writing my sixth novel. I have a dozen or so unfinished novels. The book for which RV offered representation went out on submission at the beginning of October.
Lurked: Yeah... for about two years.
Current Emotion: Happy (to be here).
#1581 - December 04, 2007, 08:16 AM

BDJ

Hello all,

I am Brad from Oklahoma.  I started writing children’s books a year ago (humor, sci-fi, fantasy).  Joined SCBWI and eventually found this wonderful site.  Before this I’ve published science/technical articles, which are far too boring (yawn) to list here.  I currently work as a mad scientist in biotech during the day and write fiction at night for my opinionated kids. 

Brad
#1582 - December 04, 2007, 09:11 AM

gt6

Hi all. 
I finished my first YA novel a few months ago and stumbled across this site while looking into an agent.  It looks great and I will be here often!  I've sent out dozens of query letters so foar (mostly EQ) and gotten about as many rejections, but finally a request for chapters.  God bless small victories!

GT6
#1583 - December 04, 2007, 10:31 AM

Brian, Brad, and GT6 -- welcome to the board!  ;D

#1584 - December 04, 2007, 06:28 PM

Welcome Brian, Brad, and GT6!  :)

GT6 - I found my way to this site the same way you did!
#1585 - December 04, 2007, 08:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, new people! Great to see some more guys around here, too, although I'm not sure that the board has room for another Brad.  ^-^
#1586 - December 04, 2007, 10:39 PM

Walks_Btwn_Sight_Unseen

Hi am very new here.

I'm a 21 year old writer and student living in Canada, and Nathan Brandsford is my dream agent. I want to make sure my book is top notch polished before it is sent to him. I really love the story I have though, I think it is fantastic. I am sure he will want to see it, but everyone is proud of their work aren't they? In any case, he seems nice, and speedy which is a good thing.

I literally lurked for five minutes and decided I wanted to join. This is my first post.

Ada
#1587 - December 05, 2007, 10:05 AM

Name: Brian
Date: No... I'm married
Agent: Rachel Vater
Write: Humorous YA (fantasy, urban fantasy)
Kids: Four... four... *blowing nose, wiping eyes, trying to get this out* four daughters! *Whah! Whah!* 13,13,10,4
Bio: I'm human... Oh! Sorry I thought that was short for 'Biology'.
Biography: I've been writing (and trying to get published) for about fourteen years. Started at 28, I'm now 42. I'm currently writing my sixth novel. I have a dozen or so unfinished novels. The book for which RV offered representation went out on submission at the beginning of October.
Lurked: Yeah... for about two years.
Current Emotion: Happy (to be here).

Brian, you sneak. What took you so long to delurk?  Okay, the eyeball's here. Now the party can start. :drinking
#1588 - December 05, 2007, 11:02 AM
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:03 AM by Lenzi »

SuzyQ

What a great place to call "home" for the holidays.  Thanks for the warm greeting ya'll...

Lobster...SuzyQ here and there.  See you everywhere!   :applause
#1589 - December 05, 2007, 06:05 PM

Welcome aboard, Ada, and good luck landing that agent.  :)

#1590 - December 05, 2007, 06:18 PM

Members: