SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Hello everyone,

I figured it is about time I introduce myself. I am sandyk from PA. I posted once back in March and then sort of hid under a rock. I love gardening, flea marketing and painting. I received my diploma from the Institute of Children's Literature this past August. Today I recieved an e-mail confirming that my first story was accepted! Very excited and wanted to share it with you all.
#1621 - December 23, 2007, 01:17 PM

Congrats on your story acceptance sandyk!!!    :balloongroup   Nothing like getting started on this board with a bang!   :yay

#1622 - December 23, 2007, 02:25 PM

sh

Hi!
This is a great forum and I'm so glad I found it.  I can't believe how much useful information I've gotten in such a short time.  I've written two manuscripts over the past year, but I've been afraid of rejection so I never submitted anything until I found this board.  Now at least when the rejections start coming in I know I'm in good company.  Thank you Verlakay.
P.S.  This forum has replaced solitaire as my number one on my list of things to do when I should be working.   
#1623 - December 30, 2007, 11:12 PM

pixydust

Welcome, sh, sandyk, paul and trish!!!!! :broccoli I am lovin' these new smilies!

I'm sure you guys will really love it here!  :cheerleader
#1624 - December 30, 2007, 11:58 PM

Ivy1

:welcome  Sandyk, sh, Paul and Trish.

Glad to have the new friends!
#1625 - December 31, 2007, 07:38 AM

busterchops

Hi everybody!   Im Barbara from NY.  The pic is my lit'l angel Buster 'aka'  Busterchops, Butters, ButterChops, BusterBabyChops....the list goes on and on. (Im a little obsessed with my dog  :love)   I have been a second grade special education teacher for about 12 years now.  My students have behavior/attention difficulties; so good literature has been my savior  :reading2 

I can't actually remember how I stumbled upon this site, but I am glad I did.  The information and support is absolutely phenomenal!   I have dibbled and dabbled with writing children's stories since my early twenties (Im 37 now) and have not been successful in getting any of my work published.  These days, I take my writing more seriously and am trying to learn as much as possible. 

Thank you so much Verla Kay!  Words can not explain how much this website has inspired me to keep writing and and pursue my dream of becoming published. 

Happy 2008 everybody!

:newyear    :jan1st     :bananadance       :party3      : :jump     :hug1     :yay

(Can't get enough of these smileys...they're so much fun!)
#1626 - December 31, 2007, 08:20 AM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:31 AM by busterchops »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome, Barbara, from one dog loving special education teacher to another!  (Oberon would send greetings to Buster, but he's not up yet ...)
#1627 - December 31, 2007, 08:26 AM

cdb

:welcome to all the new people! Nice to meet you.

Carole  ;D
#1628 - January 03, 2008, 09:11 AM

Welcome sh and Barbara!!!   :welcome   :phat    :thewave
#1629 - January 03, 2008, 04:43 PM

Mussel Bound

Welcome, everyone, it's great to see all these new faces. (both the new members and the new smileys...  :laugh)

Those of you with your pets and kids as your avatar, your loved ones are adorable. 
 :broccoli :broccoli

#1630 - January 03, 2008, 06:26 PM

DeirdreK

Hi All -- I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to join.

I think I've run into some of you over at SCBWI, too.

Anyway, I'm 30 years old, have three kids, and am a former teacher, bookstore employee, and library worker.

I got serious about writing in 2005, after I sold my first piece.  (I submitted it as an exercise in learning to deal with rejection-- so, in a sense, the acceptance was a failure!  But I've had plenty of rejections since then, so I'm all good.  :laugh)

I've had a bit of luck in the magazine market, but have yet to break into books.

I love writing PBs, but this year I REALLY want to finish a novel.  However, my writing occurs in 300 word chunks (because of the kids) so we'll see...

My secret vices are Coffee and Latin.  OK... neither's really a secret... or a vice....  but they do keep me going when I feel like I'm going to drop. =)
#1631 - January 04, 2008, 07:49 AM

CJRay

:welcome to all the "newbies"! It's great to have you on board!  :applause

CJ
#1632 - January 04, 2008, 08:45 AM

Mussel Bound

Hi, Deirdre; I'm lobster over in that world and I'm positive we've talked over there.  Welcome to the blue boards.

I also found this place through SCBWI; after a few dozen mentions I asked what they were talking about, after a few more, I wandered over, then jumped in after a few months of lurking.

Great place, you're going to like it here.

#1633 - January 04, 2008, 03:33 PM

:welcome DeirdreK!!
#1634 - January 04, 2008, 06:32 PM

JBryan

:wow  This board is fantastic! 

I've been writing for children for about five years now (!)  Nothing published, but lots of personal, positive rejection letters.  *sigh*  I belong to the Wisconsin chapter of SCBWI and am an area representative.  I've written several pbs and just finished my first YA. 

One of my pbs has received 2 small awards, an SCBWI conference scholarship award and an honorable mention in the Writer's Digest Writing Competition.  I'm currently shopping it around to agents, but that seems more daunting than the slushpile!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here!

Judy Bryan
#1635 - January 07, 2008, 02:42 PM

Jaina

Welcome, Judy.  These people seem sweet and all, but they've really got an evil agenda to distract you from your writing with all these entertaining threads and multitude of smilies.  Run, run!

Just kidding.  Stay, stay!  I need someone on my side.
#1636 - January 07, 2008, 05:23 PM

JBryan

HA!   :dr  I did notice that I haven't done much writing lately.  There's such a wealth of information here!  And these little icons are adorable.  Here's a fun one.   :dance  It looks like me on the dance floor.  Teehee. 
#1637 - January 07, 2008, 06:24 PM

Mussel Bound

If that's you on the dance floor, you're lucky. I make Elaine Bennis from Seinfeld look like a great dancer.

#1638 - January 07, 2008, 08:01 PM

cymerax

Helllo, my name is Russell Popham -- I'm a novice/aspiring writer and brand new to these boards.  I'm fifty-something and have been an inconsistent closet writer for over 20 yrs.  I've finally made the decision to finish at least one of the several "books" I've been dragging around with me for the last 6+ years, lol, my New Years resolution if you will (that and to lose 30 lbs, and I'm not sure which will be tougher ;?).  I am glad to have found this place and hope I can learn from all the more experienced folks here.  My greatest hope is to one day become a published author, and with that in mind I intend to become a big sponge and soak up every bit of advice I find on honing my craft (just call me Sponge Russ Writer Pants, lol).
#1639 - January 08, 2008, 01:45 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Russell!
#1640 - January 08, 2008, 06:02 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

catephoenix

Welcome to the board Russell  :broccoli
#1641 - January 08, 2008, 08:14 AM

goadingthepen

:wow  This board is fantastic! 

I've been writing for children for about five years now (!)  Nothing published, but lots of personal, positive rejection letters.  *sigh*  I belong to the Wisconsin chapter of SCBWI and am an area representative.  I've written several pbs and just finished my first YA. 

One of my pbs has received 2 small awards, an SCBWI conference scholarship award and an honorable mention in the Writer's Digest Writing Competition.  I'm currently shopping it around to agents, but that seems more daunting than the slushpile!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here!

Judy Bryan

Judy- Welcome on board! It is great to see you over here.
#1642 - January 08, 2008, 11:46 AM

:welcome Russell and Judy!

Russell, my New Year's resolution is to write more and lose weight too!  I'm determined to do better at both in '08 than I did in '07.
#1643 - January 08, 2008, 11:11 PM

goadingthepen

Wecome, Sponge Russell Writer Pants!
#1644 - January 09, 2008, 07:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've been lurking for a while, posting a message here and there.  I probably should have introduced myself earlier, but I sound so old and boring I've avoided it.  I graduated from high school the same year Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.  I have spent most of my life taking care of children and now I'm taking care of aging parents.  I'm not complaining.  Both experiences have been a mixture of wonder and challenges. 

I have a 17 pound, black cat that could probably stand his ground with Buster and company, but would prefer to hiss and run.  I know he sounds fat, but he's just big.  He can stand on the floor and stretch his paw above the kitchen counter where he feels around and snags anything that feels like meat.  I try to discourage this behavior, but he's quicker than I am. 

I have always read and have never been at a loss for an opinion, but I haven't written much.  About 18 months ago, I decided to get serious about a story or two, and I am glad to have found SCBWI and, now, these boards.  Thanks to all you veterans.  You have been amazingly helpful.   :thanks :love

Laurel
#1645 - January 09, 2008, 12:02 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome to the blueboards, Laurel!
#1646 - January 09, 2008, 12:50 PM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks.

Laurel
#1647 - January 09, 2008, 03:11 PM

Mussel Bound

Hey, another SCBWIer - welcome, Laurel.  I'm lobster over in that world.

#1648 - January 09, 2008, 10:49 PM

DeirdreK

By the way, Mussel/Lobster -- I've always wondered-- Why the invertebrate marine life theme? =)
#1649 - January 10, 2008, 08:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hi, Lobster.  I recognized your name from an earlier post.  I am the same Pons here that I am on the SCBWI boards.  I like to keep simple things simple, but now I wonder if I have broached some message board etiquette that I didn't know about.

It's great to be here, and I love all the smilies, even if I don't always use them.   :typing  If these little guys can keep typing away, I guess I can too.

Laurel
#1650 - January 10, 2008, 10:23 AM

Members: