SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

cymerax

Thanks all for the warm welcome ;?D
Greeneyes, nice to have company  :hug on this tough road to hoe, lol.  Do you know if there's ever been a way to lose weight by writing more?
If I could just find a way to write while I drive I could get a lot more work done, lol, but I am learning to eat/snack healthier (luv carrots dipped in "Lite" bleu cheese dressing ;?). Good luck and here's to a slimmer and more successful year for us both!
Goadingthepen, luv your handle, heh! I've "soaked" up so much in just these past few days that I do indeed feel a bit spongy (could just be my brain suffering from oldtimers disease, lol).
Again I'm glad to have found this community and look forward to learning everything I can.
Russell
 :thewave

#1651 - January 10, 2008, 03:58 PM

Greeneyes, nice to have company  :hug on this tough road to hoe, lol.  Do you know if there's ever been a way to lose weight by writing more?

If there was, I would have attacked NaNoWriMo with more vigor than I actually did.  Would be nice if there was a correlation though.   :eh2
#1652 - January 10, 2008, 11:35 PM

YAmom

I can't believe I just discovered this site. My first book came out in 1998, so I've been at this a while and could have used all the knowledge, advice and comaraderie along the way. But I'm happy to take advantage of it now. 
#1653 - January 11, 2008, 08:46 AM

mirtlemist

Hi, my name is Terri from Maryland.  My husband and I are wildlife rehabilitators here, and now that our busiest part of the year is over, I can stick my head out and say hello. I've been lurking for awhile and reading all your wonderful and informative posts and have learned so much. After years of half-hearted attempts, I finally buckled down and got serious about writing this past year. I just wanted everyone to know that their words of wisdom gave me a tremendous boost.   
#1654 - January 11, 2008, 10:08 AM

Mussel Bound

By the way, Mussel/Lobster -- I've always wondered-- Why the invertebrate marine life theme? =)
They're characters in my picture book. I started SCBWI as Lobster Dude, but people of course thought I was a dude. 
And I think Lobster was taken in here; there must have been some reason I did it differently.

No, Laurel, there is no board etiquette that I know of, that requires different or even the same screen names.  Some SCBWIers are the same here; some are different.

Welcome to all you new people; you've found a great place to hang out, be inspired and learn a lot about writing for children.
 :broccoli :broccoli

You wouldn't know how much I detest broccoli by how much this guy appears in my post, would you?

#1655 - January 11, 2008, 03:06 PM

Welcome, Terri! Glad you've been enjoying the board, and I hope you have fun posting here. :)

#1656 - January 11, 2008, 05:49 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

mirtlemist

to G.R.   :thanks

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Terri
#1657 - January 11, 2008, 08:10 PM

amya

I didn't realize we had a thread for introductions!   :yippee 
Hi, I'm Amy.  I live in Boise with my husband and my seven year old.  We have a nuerotic cat that I think would be great fodder for a picture book, but I write mostly middle grade, so I haven't taken advantage of her yet. 
I've been writing for about seven years.  I have an agent who won't return my calls (does that mean I really don't have an agent? :eh2 ) and a lot of manuscripts winging their way through the US Postal system.  My first published piece will be in Family Fun in March, though it's a craft so I didn't really write it.   :paperbag  However I have great hopes for this year.   :banghead 
I've really enjoyed reading these posts and look forward to getting to know everyone.   :hug
#1658 - January 13, 2008, 09:17 AM

Welcome aboard, Amy. :)

#1659 - January 14, 2008, 04:50 PM

MEB

Hello,

I came across this board about two weeks ago and have to say I am truly impressed! I started just answering everyone!  :lol I was published in 2001 and again in a travelers book and now started writing again so I'm a newbie but an oldbie.  :writing I have seen such great support and wonderful information on this site.  :thanks I have recently started submitting once more (only agents this time).  :cheerleader

I have a 17 and an 18 year old  :shock. He writes music  :bananadance, she paints   :paint and I write children's, YA  :typing-it's great.

So nice to meet you all!
Mary
(IL)
#1660 - January 14, 2008, 05:08 PM

mirtlemist

Hi Amy and Mary!  :)
#1661 - January 14, 2008, 05:41 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome to the boards, Mary. How lovely to have such a creative family! Best of luck with your agent submitting; you'll find a wealth of information here.
#1662 - January 14, 2008, 07:22 PM

goadingthepen

Hi, I'm Amy.  I live in Boise with my husband and my seven year old.  We have a nuerotic cat that I think would be great fodder for a picture book, but I write mostly middle grade, so I haven't

I grew up in Idaho. Graduated in Mtn. Home.  :dancer
#1663 - January 14, 2008, 08:04 PM

amya

Thanks everybody!  Goadingthepen, we drive through Mt. Home all the time--heading to the South Fork to fish!    :fish    Where do you live now?
#1664 - January 15, 2008, 12:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Hi, I'm Allie. I'm working on the first draft of a YA paranormal, and have been for awhile. But I WILL finish it this year, rewrite it, rewrite it some more, query it out, and then start writing another one. I am writing this down here for everyone to see to make myself feel really accountable!  :)

I work full-time and I'm in grad school part-time too. I'm really enjoying all the boards have to offer, especially the success stories, which are such a boost. It's nice (and inspiring) to hear good news, even if it's not my good news, if that makes sense. I've been mostly reading the "fun" threads, just to get a feel for the personalities here, but what I am really looking for (today, anyway!) are some threads with outlining advice. So I am about to try out the search function.

Anyway, hello from this newbie. I am pleased to be here with you all.

Allie
:cat
#1665 - January 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

Hi Everyone!  I feel like I know some of you already because I've spent a couple weeks viewing these boards and just hanging out - it can be addictive.  But, I love all the info and positive reinforcement I've found here.  I'm in Portland, Oregon, have three kids and have been married for 25 years - this month!

#1666 - January 15, 2008, 07:27 PM

CJRay

Welcome aboard, ya'll!  :welcome :thewave

CJ
#1667 - January 16, 2008, 05:11 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
 :welcome to everyone! Glad to have you here! 
#1668 - January 16, 2008, 06:24 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Allie and Kim. Allie, I was working (part time) and doing grad studies when I first started writing, too. Add a newborn into that mix and time was hard to come by. It sounds like you're doing really well given your constraints. I'll hold you accountable to your 2008 goals if you like!
#1669 - January 16, 2008, 07:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thank you Meg!!! Please do hold me accountable, this is all I've ever wanted to do with my life. I've put it on the backburner too long for my day job and day-to-day details in general and I've just come to a point where that is not acceptable to me anymore--it's time to prioritize!
Wow, a newborn too! That is like 2 full-time jobs right there. If you have any time-management tips or tricks you picked up during that time, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks again for the welcome and the accountability offer!
#1670 - January 16, 2008, 07:13 AM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

goadingthepen

Thanks everybody!  Goadingthepen, we drive through Mt. Home all the time--heading to the South Fork to fish!    :fish    Where do you live now?

I am in VA now. I have family in Glenns Ferry and Mtn. Home. My mom lives in Pine.
#1671 - January 16, 2008, 08:21 AM

amya

I am in VA now. I have family in Glenns Ferry and Mtn. Home. My mom lives in Pine.

I have family all over where you are now--VA, KY, NC.  I grew up in NC.  We were looking at land in Pine for a while.  It's beautiful up there.  But..Boise is where the work is, so...   :)
#1672 - January 16, 2008, 09:29 AM

Arya

:welcome everyone! It's great to see more new people coming on the boards.  :thewave
#1673 - January 16, 2008, 06:18 PM

Balthazar

Hi everyone I'm new here. My name is Balthazar (Ron) but Balthazar sounds so much fancier. I have just finished the first draft of my MG novel, the Glimmerlings and the Book of Sleep. I'm letting it simmer a while and then will take another fresh read. This looks like a great site to add to my writing bookmarks. Very informative stuff here.

P.S. It's cold as heck here in Chicago this morning. Coldest day so far. But still, I got up at 7 and walked down to the cafe where I do my writing. "Me bleedin' fingers are frozen!"

Hello everyone!
#1674 - January 19, 2008, 06:31 AM

:welcome  Balthazar!  I hope you defrost soon! :snowplow
#1675 - January 19, 2008, 08:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hi everyone!  I'm new to posting here, but have been viewing the blueboards for quite awhile now.  It IS addictive - no question, but has been the most valuable resource on writing for children that I've found.  I've learned so much from all of the knowledgeable and generous blueboarders - so, thanks!  And now that I'm settling into my own trench (a few fulls out there - so the waiting has begun) I thought I'd say hi and you'll be seeing lots more of me.  These boards definitely help pass the time with this waiting!  Eileen
#1676 - January 19, 2008, 08:56 AM

mirtlemist

:balloongroup Hello Balthazar and Eileen! Come on in and defrost a spell  :coffee
#1677 - January 19, 2008, 10:07 AM

Cozy_Writer

Hi, my name is Terri from Maryland.  My husband and I are wildlife rehabilitators here, and now that our busiest part of the year is over, I can stick my head out and say hello. I've been lurking for awhile and reading all your wonderful and informative posts and have learned so much. After years of half-hearted attempts, I finally buckled down and got serious about writing this past year. I just wanted everyone to know that their words of wisdom gave me a tremendous boost.   

Hi Terri!  I have always known you as Mirtlemist on LJ  :love  Welcome to the Blue Boards!    :lov  Pam aka wuggie norple
#1678 - January 19, 2008, 11:54 AM

mirtlemist

:yippee  Hi, Pam! Yes, thanks to you, I made the leap. You mentioned this wonderful place once in passing. I came to check it out and never left. Thank you again for showing me the way  :hug1
#1679 - January 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

Welcome aboard, Balthazar and Eileen. Glad you've been enjoying yourselves here!  ;D

#1680 - January 19, 2008, 05:42 PM

Members: