SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Nita9

Hello fellow writers!

My name's Nita and I've been dabbling in this children's book stuff for 6 years now! I absolutely love writing and illustrating, and I'm currently self-publishing my own chapter book series called The Nine Princesses. It's a project I felt like doing my way, so I chose not to go with the traditional market on this one. But I have other projects in the works for the regular market so I'm hoping one of these days to get a book into bookstores. In the meantime, I'm having lots of fun and am so glad to be here!

Happy Writing and nice to meet you all!
#1681 - January 20, 2008, 07:46 PM

:welcome Nita!  Your Nine Princesses project sounds interesting.  Good luck with it and the other projects you have going on the regular market.
#1682 - January 21, 2008, 04:34 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Balthazar!
#1683 - January 25, 2008, 08:01 PM

Catherine M

Hi! I'm Catherine. Though I've been published in romantic suspense for 12 years, I recently wrote my first manuscript for the children's market. On the advice of a friend, I joined both SCBWI and this board. Good decisions, I think.
#1684 - January 27, 2008, 12:17 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Catherine!
#1685 - January 27, 2008, 12:19 PM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Glad you found us, Catherine. Welcome!
#1686 - January 27, 2008, 12:19 PM

Roger Foucault

*back flip, back flip, back flip, back flip...

\\TA-DAAAAAAHHhhhhhhh!!!//  :bananadance

*cough....

...sorry 'bout that. Got a tad excited about being accepted into this esteemed community.

( :wow...look at all the smilies, too!)

My name is Roger.

Of course, you know this already because my name appears as the member writing this. It seems ridiculous for me to even mention my name but it's all I have as an opener for now (sans script).

I am a published illustrator and an aspiring children's book writer. I have two manuscripts to my name waiting for the right publisher to be haunted...errrr...I mean, 'cordially solicited', in my effort to get published as an author/illustrator for my two stories. Not really sure how good I am as a writer but my family and close circle of friends (who I have entrusted to read my stories) all seem to think I'm a natural- knock on wood. (Well, not real wood, per se. My rental place has that 'faux' wood. And I hate it. Someday I'd like REAL wood. Unless there are staunch, die-hard environmentalists in here reading this, then I LOVE 'faux' wood. Real wood? Me? NEVAH!! *spit spit.......\\BLECH!// Nothing but the best imitation wood for ME! Yessirreeee BOB!!!).

So, I think I'll sign off now as I have some errands to run. I'll pop back in later to scout about and see what valuable resources this forum has to offer. Everything looks amazing in terms of variety of topics to choose from.

Take care everyone and thank you to the administration for accepting my application to join.

#1687 - January 30, 2008, 02:32 PM

Welcome aboard, Roger. I hope you have a lot of fun posting here! :)

Congratulations on your published illustrations, and good luck with your writing.

#1688 - January 30, 2008, 04:49 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

:welcome Roger!  Great entrance!
#1689 - January 30, 2008, 06:22 PM

Poster Plus

:applause

#1690 - January 30, 2008, 06:40 PM

SproutQ

(looks around shyly)

Hi, I'm Jacqui. I'm a picture book author (my first book, The New Girl...And Me, came out in 2006, with two more to follow) and long time lurker.

Thanks for having me!
#1691 - January 31, 2008, 05:56 PM

:welcome Jacqui!  No need to be shy!  This is a great board to learn and to share, esp in the cases of those who have already been published (hint, hint).   :D
#1692 - January 31, 2008, 05:58 PM

skarab

Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself here a couple of years back, but feel the need to do so again. I'm a hopeless lurker trying to change my ways.

Anyway, I write middle grade fiction, mostly fantasy. I have a completed manuscript I'm shopping around, and I'm working on a middle grade paranormal.

I love this place & hope I can become more active.

#1693 - February 01, 2008, 01:02 PM

szumbrunn

You're not the only lurker, skarab.  I've also been lurking the past couple of months. 

I'm a grad student that prefers fun writing to academic writing (shhh - don't tell my advisor).  I'm currently working on an educational PB series.  I'm not published in this arena, so it's been a roller-coaster ride so far.  Thanks to fellow blueboarders help and advice, however, the roller-coaster hasn't been that scary.  Thanks to everyone!   
#1694 - February 01, 2008, 03:57 PM

Hey there, skarab! And welcome aboard, Sharon. :)

#1695 - February 01, 2008, 05:46 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome aboard, Roger, Jaqui, Skarab, and Sharon!

P.S. Roger, you're welcome. :)
#1696 - February 01, 2008, 05:49 PM

Mrs O

Hi, I'm Cathi, aka Mrs O.  I got married last July, and went on a writing hiatus last year for a spell while planning a wedding, setting up a house, etc. etc., and when I came back, I found that my unused log in had been disabled.  No fears... I am reborn as Mrs O! 

I have one MG comic fairy-tale (in the vein of The Princess Bride and Shrek ) that I am circulating to agents now.  I am also starting another book for younger MG readers that I hope to finish soon.  I've set a goal of writing at least 20 pages a week, which can be hard in between working a full-time day job and being a good wife! 

I'm glad to be back!  This site is such a useful research tool.

Mrs O

#1697 - February 02, 2008, 09:19 AM
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:33 AM by Mrs O »

Welcome back, Cathi! :)

#1698 - February 03, 2008, 08:30 PM

Hi Cathi aka Mrs. O...welcome back to the boards and congratulations on being a newlywed!  Your MG comic fairy-tale sounds wonderful (Shrek and the Princess Bride happen to be two of my all-time favorites!) - good luck with that and your new "adventures"!  Hugs, Jodi  :love
#1699 - February 03, 2008, 08:38 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

ErinH555

Congratulations, Mrs. O, on your marriage and getting back into the world of writing.   :tornado  I know this is supposed to be a tornado, but just think of it as you surrounded by all the happy agent dust I just sent you.

I also took a break from writing about 2 1/2 years ago.  Since then, I got married, moved from California to Austin, and had a baby.   I was just able to leave my 70 hour/week job to be a SAHM, and  I've never been happier.  My son, Devin, is 10 months old and loves keeping me busy, busy, busy!  So my writing goals are nowhere near 20 pages a week(I'm jealous).  But, I'd like to write for an hour a day while Devin is sleeping. I'm currently working on a YA fantasy, and would love to have it finished by the time the next baby comes around.  I'm not pregnant again yet, but I'm a slow writer!
#1700 - February 04, 2008, 11:04 AM

Dalton

Hi, everybody!  I'm Dalton and I recently completed my first middle-grade adventure manuscript.  I'm now starting the adruous process of shopping around for an editor/publisher -- and I'm more than a little intimidated.  Because I am new to this industry (medical writer by day, children's author by night :)), I am really looking forward to learning from all of you seasoned pros.

Here's to writing!

Dalton
www.tilliemcgwinn.com
#1701 - February 05, 2008, 11:34 AM
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:30 PM by Dalton »

Arya

:welcome Dalton! Your book sounds great.  :thewave Good luck finding an editor and/or publisher!
#1702 - February 05, 2008, 11:47 AM

Great to see all the new faces!
 :welcome :bear :bear :bear :welcome

Mary
#1703 - February 05, 2008, 11:59 AM

Poster Plus
Welcome Dalton! You've come to the right place... I've learned a ton here in a short time!  :thewave
#1704 - February 05, 2008, 12:07 PM

Dalton

Welcome Dalton! You've come to the right place... I've learned a ton here in a short time!  :thewave

Great!  I can't wait to learn.  I'm like a dry sponge here, people. :)  Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome, Brendao.  You too, Arya!

Dalton
www.tilliemcgwinn.com
#1705 - February 05, 2008, 01:31 PM

Anne

Whoops, just found this thread after I made two posts.
My name is Anne - u knew that, and I moved from NY to South New Jersey last year. I have three kids, teach part time, write when I can, have lots of publishing credits in adult poetry and fiction, but I am now much more interested in YA and MG writing. In fact, that's pretty much all I write now...
I've looked on this board a dozen times before, but always had to run before I could register and post. Seems like a great place!
#1706 - February 06, 2008, 08:56 AM

Stone Writer

Whoops, just found this thread after I made two posts.
My name is Anne - u knew that, and I moved from NY to South New Jersey last year. I have three kids, teach part time, write when I can, have lots of publishing credits in adult poetry and fiction, but I am now much more interested in YA and MG writing. In fact, that's pretty much all I write now...
I've looked on this board a dozen times before, but always had to run before I could register and post. Seems like a great place!

Welcome, Anne! I'm another South Jerseyian (I think I just invented that word) and it's nice to see another one of our kind in the boards.
#1707 - February 06, 2008, 10:31 AM

gt6

Welcome aboard, Dalton!
#1708 - February 06, 2008, 10:54 AM

Daine_Middle

Hi.
Um, I don't know what to say right now.

I found this site while looking through my 'How to Write' books and I hope to find some tips on this chat board on how to wirte correctly and get better.  I still have alot to learn about writing, and I hope I can find something here that'll inspire me to write.
#1709 - February 06, 2008, 02:47 PM

Poster Plus
Hi, and  :welcome to the blue board. You will find a lot of good information here and wonderfully, dedicated writers to help you along the way. If you need inspiration, encouragement, or a pat on the back you've come to the right place. 
#1710 - February 06, 2008, 04:19 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Members: