SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

SproutQ

Welcome!  If you haven't checked out the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (www.scbwi.org), that's another fantastic resource.
#1711 - February 06, 2008, 04:46 PM

Daine- WELCOME!  I'm going to move this to the Introduce Yourself thread...

If you have a website, please list it here.

You'll find lots of great info here!
#1712 - February 06, 2008, 05:15 PM

ginbug

Found this after I already posted a question!!!  My name is Virginia. I'm new here as well, but have been writing for awhile. I have yet to get published in the children's arena, but I have had some freelance trade articles (nutrition) published. I'm a dietitian by career, but would rather be writing every chance I get. I'm working on polishing a PB manuscript, and I sent a poem out to Turtle last week (fingers crossed).

Oh, I'm recently married and we have two crazy cats that think they're lions. :-)
#1713 - February 07, 2008, 07:18 AM

:welcome Virginia
I have two cats too and they think they're divas!
#1714 - February 07, 2008, 04:17 PM

saundramitchell

I'm re-introducing myself. :D Hi, my name is Saundra! I was a member of the board a while back, but in the flurry of selling and revising a novel, I didn't visit for a long time, so I had to re-register. I participated in the first Delacorte Press contest thread, and I'm SO excited to see how many of the folks who originally posted there have gone on to success!
#1715 - February 12, 2008, 02:23 AM

SarahP

Hi Saundra!  Good to see you here!!

Welcome other new dudes.  The Blue Board is a great resource.

Cheers!
#1716 - February 12, 2008, 05:17 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Saundra!
#1717 - February 12, 2008, 05:45 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Welcome Anne, Saundra, Virginia, and Daine!  I'm fairly new to the board myself and found it to be a wonderful resource with very helpful people!
#1718 - February 13, 2008, 03:18 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

sundust

hi everyone! this is my first day as a member of the board (I lurked for months reading the advice etc.) Happy Valentines Day to all :redflower :hearts. anyways, let me introduce myself... my name is fa (well my nickname) I am 25, female, live in california and i enjoy long walks on the beach... wait LOL this is not a personal ad. I am attempting to write YA. Happy writing to you all and hope to see ya'll around the boards.
#1719 - February 14, 2008, 07:09 AM

Welcome aboard, Fa, and a Happy Valentine's to you too! :)

#1720 - February 14, 2008, 06:08 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

artemisia1976

Hi There! I'm Jen, and I eventually want to be a Children's author/Illustrator - I'm glad to have found this resource. It's exciting/indimidating to see how many published authors are regular contributors to this board. I'm working on a story called "The High Bouncing Sneep" and I'm feeling a little stuck. I'm hoping to connect with someone who has experience in the business and would be willing to share some insights and feedback. I've got a huge amount of respect for all the talent I see and I'm exicited by the chance to get to know you all. Thanks for having me here!
#1721 - February 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

:welcome Jen!  No need to feel intimidated by this board, no here bites!  The blueboard is a great place to get "unstuck" from your writing because everyone here is friendly and willing to help whether you're a published, successful author or if you're just getting started.  Have fun!
#1722 - February 17, 2008, 05:44 PM

artemisia1976

Thanks greeneyes :) Looking forward to sharing! I'm curious, how come I can't see anyone's profile? Is it just something standard for new people?
#1723 - February 17, 2008, 07:14 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Jennifer!

New people cannot view profiles or PM. It is a safety precaution because we have had problems with spammers.

Hope you enjoy the board!
#1724 - February 17, 2008, 07:26 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi, I'm Cyndi and I write and illustrate for kids (why do I feel like I'm at some sort of Writer's Anonymous meeting???)

I posted before I saw this thread too, my bad!

I'm from Canada, and I'm trying hard to remember to keep the 'u's out of my favourite *dang* favorite words...Eh? (gotta keep the stereotype going or our comedians won't be able to make a living anymore)

Seriously though, I've spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of days catching up on the posts, and I feel genuinely lucky to have been led here. What an amazing wealth of information! Thank you thank you thank you, I'm not worthy!!!

:moose
#1725 - February 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Hi, I'm Cyndi and I write and illustrate for kids (why do I feel like I'm at some sort of Writer's Anonymous meeting???)

:dr  That's too funny!

Welcome!   :balloongroup :redflower  And here's hoping you don't stay anonymous too long!

#1726 - February 18, 2008, 08:01 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
:dr  That's too funny!

Welcome!   :balloongroup :redflower  And here's hoping you don't stay anonymous too long!

Thanks so much!!   :love 
#1727 - February 18, 2008, 08:35 PM

@cynmarko

Well, according to the ticker in the upper left-hand corner, I have now officially spent an entire day of my life looking at the boards. So, I think it's time I introduced myself. I'm a former editor (mostly how-to and craft books), now a freelance writer and editor. Although I have a few kids'  (guide and activity) books out, I've never had to write a query or proposal, find an agent...anything like that. I've learned so much in my 24 hours on this board and I'm so impressed with all the generous, knowledgeable, and supportive people here. I hope I'll have something to offer as well. Cheers!
#1728 - February 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.joanneosullivan.com
Migration Nation (Charlesbridge, 2015)
101 Places You Gotta See Before You're 12!
@jkosullivan1 (twitter)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hi Everyone.  I'm Judith--a teacher, librarian, and storyteller turned writer.  I joined this wonderful community about a week ago and find myself spending more time reading comments than I am writing.  That's okay, though because I have learned so much from all the comments and questions and that people post.  I found it a little intimidating at first, but now I feel right at home.  Everyone is so helpful. 

I've written a series of 3 library skills books, Jump Start Your Library, just out from UpStart Books and I have a contract in the mail for a PB, What Do You See? from Odyssey Books. 

Judith

This does kind of sound like a Writer's Anonymous Meeting--it is kind of addicting.
#1729 - February 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
What Do You See?  Odyssey Books  2009
Stinky Feet  Odyssey Books  2012
Jump-start Your Library, UpStart 2008
http://judithsnyderwrites.com

Judith and josullivan -- welcome aboard! ;D

#1730 - February 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Jennifer: LOVE the title "The High Bouncing Sheep"!!

And Artemisia, how GREAT is your chicken?!

Welcome to you and to all our newbies.   

And Josh, I joined over a year ago, but according to my ticker, I've spent over 11 days haunting these boards. It's kind of like a Master Class or Writer's Intensive you can visit whenever you want.  So helpful, don't you think!
:hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog  :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog :hedgehog What? Do not question my use of this adorable hedgehog.  He is too cute to ignore.  Must find more uses....!
#1731 - February 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the boards-- and this is my first post! I'm an author and illustrator with two books published, and more in the works.
Glad to be here!
-Jennifer
#1732 - February 20, 2008, 06:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Hi All,

I'm also new to the boards. I hail from Cincinnati. I'm a part-time teacher (on a snow day I might add :yay), mother of two, and 5 chapters away from finishing the first draft of my first mg novel. I'm getting ready to start the brutal editing-polishing-whip-that-baby-into-shape process.  I'm researching editors/agents as well. I hope to send out my ms by June - that's why I'm perusing this board. Love the information!

Nora
#1733 - February 20, 2008, 07:30 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
 :welcome
#1734 - February 20, 2008, 07:53 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

And Artemisia, how GREAT is your chicken?!

Thanks!!! She was just a generic chicken at first, I was having fun playing around drawing different views of her,  but I have had so many people compliment her, I may have to create a PB around her. I don't know if it will involve Kung Fu or not, that was just a silly tag line after the fact. (I love Kung Fu movies!)

And hello and welcome to all the other newbies!!!!!!! I predict a lot my life is going to get logged here, over 10 hours already!! Verla, why do you have to TELL me how much time I spend procrastinating?
#1735 - February 20, 2008, 08:29 AM

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm working on a story called "The High Bouncing Sneep" and I'm feeling a little stuck.

I love this title too. I am reminded of the musical short "Boundin'" (title?) on the Incredibles extras DVD. If you haven't seen it, maybe it will provide some inspiration?

Your illustration is awesome.

Cyndi
#1736 - February 20, 2008, 08:35 AM

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Jennifer G,

I just looked at your portfolio, do you use the name Artemisia too? (sp variation) Is that a polish chicken on your site? I tried to draw one recently, and i found it frustrating, more for the lack of color (it was one of the black and white ones). I really like how you did yours (even if it's not a polish chicken but some other weird bird)

Cyndi

edit: My bad! I just noticed it says evil turkey!
#1737 - February 20, 2008, 03:19 PM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:21 PM by Artemesia »

@cynmarko

artemisia1976

Hi Cyndi!

Yes, I use Artemisia too. I love the painter Artemisia Gentileschi. What is the story behind Artemesia for you?
Thanks for the compliments on my portfolio. People have always told me they'd make great Children's book illustrations. I realized I needed to start writing the stories for my critters. :)

What's a polish chicken? I'll have to google that. I'm very curious.

Jen   :paint
#1738 - February 20, 2008, 07:52 PM

artemisia1976

Jennifer: LOVE the title "The High Bouncing Sheep"!!

Thanks! The idea for the high bouncing sneep came from the drawing you see in my profile. I don't know if anyone else works "backwards" like this, but I seem to come up with images first and then need to find the text
#1739 - February 20, 2008, 07:55 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

Yes, I use Artemisia too. I love the painter Artemisia Gentileschi. What is the story behind Artemesia for you?

Actually, it is from Artemisia Gentileschi as well (anybody who paints a picture of a woman cutting off the head of a man who raped her is alright in my book), and also from Greek Mythology. My name is Cynthia (Cyndi) and Cynthia and Artemesia are both names for the moon goddess. I've been using it for years as a web handle, but I thought I might use it as pen name too. Just for the YA I want to write tho, the PB's I want to write and illustrate I will probably use my real name.

Polish chickens are a crested chicken, really hilarious looking birds and they come in a multitude of colours and patterns. They look like they have been tarred and feathered. Almost like this guy:

:duh

(if anyone is curious, I think the painting is called 'Judith with the Head of Holfrenes'. She paints in chiarroscurro, and was a student of Caravaggio, if I remember my art history correctly.)
#1740 - February 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:00 PM by Artemesia »

@cynmarko

Members: