SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the boards-- and this is my first post! I'm an author and illustrator with two books published, and more in the works.
Glad to be here!
-Jennifer

Glad to see you over here Jennifer!! There's tons of great info here, even for a pro like you. But like all things internet, it eats up a lot of time.  ;)

For those of you who don't know Jennifer check out her website (and blog!) she has some cooool books out! You can also a read an interview I did a while back with her here:
http://gailmakiwilson.blogspot.com/2007/10/behind-snowflakes-up-close-and-personal.html

And welcome both Artemisia's. Good to see more illustrators here too!!!
gail
#1741 - February 21, 2008, 07:49 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest

And welcome both Artemisia's. Good to see more illustrators here too!!!
gail

thanks Gail! Didn't I see you as a featured artist on SCBWI recently? I love your work.

Cyndi
#1742 - February 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

jheart

Hi.  My name is Julie.  I'm from South Texas. 

I'm a SAHM of 4-year-old triplet boys.

:tornado :tornado :tornado

I've been writing off and on for a few years but am just now starting to feel a sense of cohesion in my work.  Currently I'm working on a YA *suburban* fantasy.  I started it with NaNoWriMo (my second win there) and after drafting twice, pretty much started completely over.  The third time must be the charm because it's going much better now.  I'm about 5k words in and I actually have defined chapters.  Amazing.

This board is a wonderful resource.  Thank you for allowing me to participate.

julie

#1743 - February 21, 2008, 01:02 PM

prairie girl

Hello to everyone on this board! I'm brand new and looking forward to meeting people. I write children's stories in the genres of fantasy and magical realism. I'm Canadian but living in the US.
#1744 - February 21, 2008, 01:16 PM

Poster Plus
Hi.  My name is Julie.  I'm from South Texas. 

I'm a SAHM of 4-year-old triplet boys.

:tornado :tornado :tornado

I've been writing off and on for a few years but am just now starting to feel a sense of cohesion in my work.  Currently I'm working on a YA *suburban* fantasy.  I started it with NaNoWriMo (my second win there) and after drafting twice, pretty much started completely over.  The third time must be the charm because it's going much better now.  I'm about 5k words in and I actually have defined chapters.  Amazing.

This board is a wonderful resource.  Thank you for allowing me to participate.
julie

:welcome Julie! Come and sit a while; with four-year-old triplets,  :ahh sounds like you need it! You'll love it here.

Hello to everyone on this board! I'm brand new and looking forward to meeting people. I write children's stories in the genres of fantasy and magical realism. I'm Canadian but living in the US.

Hi prairie girl.  :bear2 I'm American but living on these boards!  ;D  :welcome
#1745 - February 21, 2008, 01:31 PM

prairie girl

Hi Brendao! Thanks for the welcome

prairie girl
#1746 - February 21, 2008, 02:05 PM

Hey prairie girl (living in the US) - are you from the prairies (in Canada)?  I am  :laugh
#1747 - February 21, 2008, 02:55 PM

jheart

Hi brendao.  Thanks for the welcome.  Sitting?  Oh yes, I remember that.   :faint

Hi prairie girl.  I've been to Canada twice - Ottawa and London - it's beautiful.  I bet you miss it!

julie
#1748 - February 21, 2008, 05:29 PM

sarahjclark

Sarah J Clark -- writer, runner, Mt. Dew junkie.

I've recently finished my first middle grade novel. Now I'm on that roller coaster ride that always comes after! =)

Kinda new to Verla Kay, but lovin' it.
#1749 - February 22, 2008, 06:24 AM

Why Miss Sarah, so nice to see you here!! And blueboarders, she didn't just "finish" her first MG novel...she killed it!! I read it through in one sitting, and that's saying something because I usually poop out after one chapter to go nitey night. (Hey Verla, what happened to the poopng horse emoticon?!?)

Welcome Sarah!!  :applause
#1750 - February 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

:welcome Sarah and congrats on writing the "killer" MG!
#1751 - February 22, 2008, 06:19 PM

artemisia1976

By the way, polish turkeys are AWESOME! I've got to try drawing one!  ;D
#1752 - February 23, 2008, 09:52 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
By the way, polish turkeys are AWESOME! I've got to try drawing one!  ;D

Seeing the birds on your website, I thought you'd love the polish hens. I just started working on a PB right now for the little chicken you see by my name, but I may throw a polish one in the coop too!
Have you ever seen Labyrinth? (one of my all time favorite movies) Your birds remind me of the Fireys. I love your use of color.
#1753 - February 23, 2008, 01:48 PM

@cynmarko

RandallWright

I didn't find the place for introductions, so I'll do it here (I really don't think it's that good a news for me to be here, so I'll announce my picture book.)

My name is Randall Wright. I know some of you here already from various other places (HI VERLA). I am a writer of novels (A Hundred Days from Home (Holt 2002), Hunchback (Holt 2004), The Silver Penny (Holt 2005). I have a picture book accepted by Bloomsbury (no release date yet--probably sometime in 2009). The pb is called The Geezer in Our Freezer. (Verla, you may remember this from critique group a long time ago).

I also have a novel accepted by an un-named publisher (verbal offer, soon to have official offer, so they tell me) co-authored with a wonderful storyteller and pb author, Carmen Deedy (who just won a Pura Belpre honor for her pb about Martina the Cockroach). More on this when I can.

I used to post a lot on the old yellow board, then the new yellow board, but it seems so pointless now. It looks like this may be the place to be. I miss the comaraderie we used to have. Hello everyone!!!!

Randall
#1754 - February 25, 2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Randall~

Welcome! I'm happy to move you to the right place.  We have a LONG intro thread.  You'll love Verla's!
#1755 - February 25, 2008, 10:29 AM

Donna Farley

Hi, everybody. I am always accumulating more lists and forums, and don't know how I managed to miss this one for so long! 

I am a writer with a bunch of pub credits, including a couple of stories in Cicada. I just sold a children's picture book, something I never thought I had an interest in....but now I am saying that picture books are like grandkids, if I'd known how much fun they are I'd have had them first!

more about me and my writing can be found here:

http://raftersscriptorium.blogspot.com/

#1756 - February 25, 2008, 05:25 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Randall!  So good to see you!
#1757 - February 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Welcome aboard, Donna and Randall. Congratulations on your publishing credits! :)

#1758 - February 26, 2008, 04:59 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I had to tell Artemisia how much I love her Kung Fu chicken.  He/she/it is great. 

Welcome to everyone.   :hearts    (Of course, I haven't been here long myself.)  It's a great place to hang out.

Laurel
#1759 - February 28, 2008, 10:39 AM

Gina Black

Before I completely confuse everyone (or maybe because I already have) I'm re-introducing myself.

You see, I signed on with the user name that's my real name that I use to write adult books (Gina Black) and the avatar of an animated Totoro. It occurred to me today, that I should be using the name I intend to use when I publish my YA (Theresa Black) and then I changed my avatar to a picture my mother painted of me when I was in my late teens.

OF course, it was after this that I discovered the button that says "responses to your posts" and I saw all these nice things people said about my old avatar! Oy.

So, to reintroduce myself, I'm Gina/Theresa Black (Theresa is actually the middle name I never use but did for a while when I was in the fourth grade) and I'm writing a YA, coming down home stretch. I have a historical romance out from an epub that will see print in June.

:love

Very glad to be here. Still.

(And I love the chicken.)
#1760 - February 28, 2008, 07:52 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I had to tell Artemisia how much I love her Kung Fu chicken.  He/she/it is great. 

Thank you so much!!

PONS and Gina/Theresa you both have made my day!   :love

I'm happy to be here too!
#1761 - February 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:08 PM by Artemesia »

@cynmarko

SueBE

I've been signed onto the boards now for a while.  Since I am now posting, I'll finally introduce myself.  I'm a writer here in the Midwest and I specialize in Knowledge writing (see Marc Aronson's blog, http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1880000388.html?nid=3716).  More specifically, I specialize in history, archaeology and anthropology.  I write how-to articles for CW, CWIM and other markets.  I also write fiction and have recently submitted a picture book rewrite to Randi Rivers.  Now back to the trenches to work on the project I started last week because I thought it wouldn't require much research . . .

--SueBE

#1762 - February 29, 2008, 08:36 AM

Welcome aboard, SueBE! ;D

#1763 - February 29, 2008, 05:03 PM

TripleG

I just joined this week at the urging of friends.  I not only am learning a lot about writing, I have cured my addiction to playing Freecell whenever I get frustrated.  Now I just visit Verlakay.  Of course sometime I will have to cure my addiction to Verlakay, but I'm in no hurry.  I have had several nonfiction books published for the school - library market.  The last ones have been YA biographies for Enslow.  Just for clarification, the name "TripleG" comes from the fact that I am the grandmother of triplets.  It has nothing to do with my bra size as one friend suggested.  :bananadance
Sally
#1764 - February 29, 2008, 05:30 PM

Welcome!  :yippee

Mary
#1765 - February 29, 2008, 05:32 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Yay, Sally! So good to see you here!  :)
#1766 - February 29, 2008, 06:51 PM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Arya

:welcome Sally!
#1767 - February 29, 2008, 07:05 PM

ghoulinpajamas

Hello, I'm Monica.
Newbie. Grunt. Rookie.
I write YA, but have a soft spot for MG when I read. I hated high school, but never gave it up emotionally. I have embraced my inner nerd and in addition to writing for teens, love Harry Potter, American Idol, pop music, and movies with happy endings. (Though the occasional film noir gets me going too.)
Glad to be here, but I'm finding it highly addictive. ::)
#1768 - March 06, 2008, 12:42 PM

m.pritchett

Mercedes here :)

I'm sixteen, but don't let my age intimidate you. I'm crazy passionate about writing.

I've already finished writing my first YA novel and am seeking representation right now. I'm currently working on my second, a story that I am falling in love with more and more every day.

Other than writing, I don't do much else. I love to sing, be in the plays, run like crazy, and dance (but only when no one else is around). I also have a fondness for anything that is chocolate, though if I want to remain under one hundred and thirty pounds, I should probably stop eating it for breakfast every day.

That's me in a nutshell! I'm so glad to be here and I am looking forward to taking advantage of all of the experience here!
#1769 - March 06, 2008, 02:43 PM

Mercedes and Monica, welcome aboard! Glad you've been enjoying it here so far. :)

#1770 - March 06, 2008, 05:32 PM

Members: