SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

C.S.

Hi, I'm the new kid. Since there are so many talented writers on this site, I probably won't be posting much. I'll keep reading and learning, but I wanted to thank all of you for generously sharing your insights.
#1771 - March 06, 2008, 05:51 PM

:welcome  Monica, Mercedes, and C.S.  Looking forward to seeing your posts and getting to know you.  :)
#1772 - March 06, 2008, 09:03 PM

Shema

HI,
I live in South Carolina but I'm from Ohio. We have lived here for 4 years. We came down during the Kerry-Bush election. You remember how Ohio held out? So everyone here had something to say about Ohio.
I'm new to writing. Well, I've written all my life but just started in the summer sending out to seek an agent or and a publisher.
I have a 6 year old who is pretty incredible.
We have no snow and the one day it did snow they closed school. (You could still see the grass-ice though)
The daffidils are blooming and the buds are on the pink trees.
#1773 - March 10, 2008, 09:14 AM

Welcome aboard, Michelle. :)

#1774 - March 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

celticqueen

Hi all! I joined a while ago and then put the children's writing on the back burner to finish a novel, but decided to pull out the PB manuscripts again :) I am from CA but am currently living in Utah, I have two small children, and up until now have mostly written non fiction and romance novels :) Anyhow, looking forward to meeting everyone  ;D
#1775 - March 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:28 AM by celticqueen »

:welcome Michelle and celticqueen!
#1776 - March 11, 2008, 04:45 PM

Danna Smith

Hi everyone,  I'm new to this list.  I'm a published picture book author living in the Lodi, CA area.  This is a great site, thanks for hooking us up, Verla!
#1777 - March 11, 2008, 05:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wow! I haven't popped in here in quite a while -- it's great to see so many new people! Welcome, everyone. You'll love it here!  :love
#1778 - March 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

BetsyD

Hi,
I realized I never introduced myself.
I have been desigining, sewing and selling appliqued children's and infant's clothing for the past twenty-three years.   All those years, I yearned to write, but supporting two girls was my priority. 
After my wonderful daughters moved out, I decided to for the first time,  to follow my own dream.  I started to reduce my clothing business and began to address all those characters who had been in my head for years.
I have been writing for just over a year-picture books, early readers, chapter books and middle grade novels.
This is a great source for information. 
I haven't posted a lot, since I try to put my energy into my writing.
I live in Connecticut.
#1779 - March 12, 2008, 04:19 PM

Betsy, Danna, and celticqueen -- welcome aboard! :)

#1780 - March 12, 2008, 05:09 PM

:welcome Danna and BetsyD!

#1781 - March 12, 2008, 05:37 PM

RyanBruner

Greetings, all!  I'm Ryan (in case my user name was a bit too cryptic!).  There are several people here that know me from Backspace, and Brenda mentioned I might enjoy the board.  So, here I am! 

I mostly write YA in the SF/F realm.  I have one novel (YA fantasy...or, perhaps, paranormal) being queried (had several reads so far, but no agent offers yet).  I have two others in the works (one is probably more MG fantasy similar in some ways to Tuck Everlasting, and the other is YA SF, along the lines of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies). 

Pleased to be here!
#1782 - March 18, 2008, 09:37 AM

mimagirl

Hi - I may have introduced myself when I first joined several months ago, but I can't remember, so just in case I will do it again. :)

My name is Erin (some may know me as Miss Erin...), I keep a book blog at www.misserinmarie.blogspot.com. I'm 17 years old and reading and writing are my passions (secondary only to acting). Right now I'm working on outlining a YA realistic fiction novel.
#1783 - March 18, 2008, 12:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Ryan and Erin. Ryan, we can always use some more guys around here (stay away from theBrad, though - he is a corrupting influence). Good luck with your agent hunt; I'm reading the Uglies books right now and will snap up anything in that vein (sadly, though, I'm just a reader, not an agent!). Erin, very cool to know at 17 what your passions are and to be heading in their direction. There are a few writers around your age on the boards and you'll find heaps of good information and support here.
#1784 - March 18, 2008, 05:32 PM

Hey everybody,

So glad to be here! I've been reading messages for days and am wildly impressed with the generosity shown by everyone here. I'm still new at this, so I don't know how much I have to offer just yet, but I love writing–not to mention thinking, reading and talking about it–more than almost anything else, so I think I'm in the right place.

I went to school for photography and work in animation (even though I can't draw), but man I get so excited about writing...It's the best thing ever, right? To think that I could write something that could enthrall someone just like I was enthralled by The Outsiders, or Anne of Green Gables, or Tiger Eyes...I turn 33 at the end of next month and I WILL have something to show for it (my first completed ms!). I will, no matter how alluring these boards are!

I love how many published authors there are here–not just for their experience and wisdom, but there are so many great new books to read! Woohoo!

Yay good books!
SB
#1785 - March 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I've "lurked" for several months, so now I'll introduce myself.  This message board is incredibly helpful and encouraging.  Thanks!

I'm temporarily living in Claremont, California but usually live in Salt Lake City, Utah. 

I've been an SCBWI member for five years and have met some of yall at conferences.  (Hi, there!)

I write picture books, primarily.  I recently received my first contract ever!  Tilbury House anticipates a spring, 2009 publication date.  As soon as I learn more details, I'll share more. 

Thanks.

Jean
#1786 - March 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
HOW TO BABYSIT A GRANDPA--April 2012
Knopf Books for Young Readers
For the story behind the book, visit www.jeanreagan.com

ashlynn

I've been a member of this site for quite a long time - several months - before I even considered registering as a bonafide member, and admittedly, I'm very happy I stumbled across this site. There's loads of valuable information that you can't find anywhere else, and everyone here has been so, so friendly. It's wonderful.

Anyway, I live in Florida. The Sunshine State.

I'm twenty years old and I've completed two years of college as a journalism major. I intend to follow through with it, even if it takes longer than four years to complete it; what with financial instability.

I have been writing since I was twelve years old - novels, that is. I've been writing since I was three actually. Four-page stories my mom still has - they're about talking cats and such. I write for the young adult franchise. My stories have a tendency to range from 80,000 words to 92,000. I am determined to become a well-known published author one day. Hopefully. In any case, it's nice to meet you all!

-Ash.
#1787 - March 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:16 PM by ae.seifert »

SB, Jean, and ae.seifert -- welcome to the board! Hope you have a lot fun posting here. :)

#1788 - March 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Ivy1

:whitebunny  Hey to all the new folks! It's been awhile since I popped up over here, so I've missed several of ya.    :cheerleader  Welcome!
#1789 - March 18, 2008, 08:16 PM

Arya

:welcome SB, Jean, and ae.seifert!
#1790 - March 18, 2008, 08:40 PM

I'm Bryan Fields.  I write wacky middle grade  science fiction novels.  I love serious sci-fi, but can't write it to save my neck because I have a silly streak a mile wide.

My first book, Lunchbox and the Aliens,was published by Henry Holt in September of 2006.  The sequel, Froonga Planet, also published by Holt, is scheduled for release in September 2008. 

Both books revolve around a basset hound who is abducted by a pair of benign (but hopelessly misfit) aliens and accidentally made intelligent. 

I guess the best way to describe my writing would be "Beverly Cleary meets Douglas Adams."  Not that I profess to be in the same league with those two, but I have been influenced by both.

Anxious to learn more from seasoned writers and newbies alike.  Visit my website at http://www.bryanwfields.com
#1791 - March 19, 2008, 01:41 AM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:47 AM by Lunchbox »
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi Bryan! Your books sound fun!  I think my nine year old would like them too, I'll have to pick up a copy. I have a hard time getting him to read fiction (except for Star Wars and Captain Underpants). He likes encyclopedias and atlases. Go figure.  :eh2

#1792 - March 19, 2008, 07:46 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

RuffianChick

Sending out a welcome to all our new members (I haven't popped in here lately).

Welcome Everyone!!!  :dancer

RC
#1793 - March 19, 2008, 12:03 PM

Arya

:welcome Bryan!
#1794 - March 20, 2008, 10:35 AM

m.pritchett

:welcome everyone!  :sun
#1795 - March 20, 2008, 06:52 PM

brian_ohio

Name: Brian
Date: Yes... only my wife. I'm married.
Agent: Rachel Vater
Write: Humorous YA (fantasy, urban fantasy)
Kids: Four... four...four... four beautiful daughters! *Whah! Whah!*
Bio: I'm human... Oh! Sorry I thought that was short for 'Biology'.
Biography: I've been writing (and trying to get published) for about fourteen years. Started at 28, I'm now 42. I'm currently writing my sixth novel. I have a dozen or so unfinished novels. The book for which RV offered representation went out on submission at the beginning of October.
Lurked: Yeah... for about two years.
Current Emotion: Happy (to be here).
#1796 - March 22, 2008, 11:37 AM

SproutQ

Brian, that's a great intro.  Welcome!
#1797 - March 22, 2008, 06:05 PM

m.pritchett

Brian, that's a great intro.  Welcome!

Agreed :) I especially like the 'Date' part :) 'Only my wife'... Ha ha :)
#1798 - March 22, 2008, 06:13 PM

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd start out here and introduce myself. I'm a mother of three young children aka not yet school age and discovered I was a writer over the last year. I'm starting out with picture books but have an MG synopsis down that I'm dying to start and a YA lurking in my head somewhere. I love/hate writing and have loved the great info on this site. I look forward to getting to know you all!

RH
#1799 - March 24, 2008, 12:32 PM

Welcome aboard, RH. Glad you've been enjoying it here so far! :)

#1800 - March 24, 2008, 06:33 PM

Members: