• SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Welcome, Susan! :)
#181 - March 24, 2004, 05:13 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Hello everyone!  It's good to be here.  I have seen some of you on ol' yeller (I am C Jay) and the SCBWI boards.  I am a writer :typing:/ illustrator :artist: and have been enjoying the writing/illustrating/submitting/learning process for three years.  I work part time at a financial institution, am a professional muralist, mom of three children, and love to write.

It's good to see a few familiar names.

Thank you Verla for this opportunity to communicate with other writers.  I met you the first day of the SCBWI L.A. Conference and you were very helpful. :hug1:
#182 - March 27, 2004, 02:46 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Jaina

Welcome, funny stuff!  I have seen your posts on the SCBWI board.  Glad to have you as a member. :)
#183 - March 28, 2004, 10:17 AM

els

Hi Funny stuff! :)  Welcome.
#184 - March 30, 2004, 05:28 PM

humblebee8

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the board and enjoying reading the posts.  I have so much to learn.  I'm an illustrator and I've been working on writing picture books and arts & crafts articles for kids. 
I'm going to new york in a few weeks for the SCBWI illustrators/authors conference.  I can't wait!
I have been submitting my illustration packets since last summer.  I'm working on my first assignment now and also have two dummy books I'm preparing to send out after the conference.  I've won a few SCBWI contests and I'm the featured artist this month on their website, but I'm going crazy waiting for my big break.  I do have two articles that I sold to BeadStyle magazine, but that's an adult market.   My current assignment is a local project.
I started writing to have a dummy book for my portfolio and found out that I'm in love with the process, it's so exciting.  I have so many ideas and can't wait to learn more. You can see my portfolio at www.humblearts.com
Happy creating!
Heather

I hope I posted this in the right spot. :)

#185 - March 31, 2004, 08:41 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Humblebee! You're portfolio is great! I love the scratchart. . Also, the Artist's Sketchpad is a nice addition to a website. Kids will find it really interesting, (I did!)

Glad you've joined us!

#186 - March 31, 2004, 08:56 AM

Jaina

Yay, Heather!  I saw and admired your work on the SCBWI main page.  Now I just enjoyed looking at your website!  Too cool.  Glad you're here!
#187 - March 31, 2004, 09:01 AM

charlotte

::) hi i'm charlotte...a single mother of two...i live in virginia beach, va...i have just recently finished my first children's book (looking for an agent)
....i keep myself pretty busy going to school full time, working my fulltime job.....writing....kids....and i have a small business as well....
writing is a great outlet for me.....it calms me when things get hectic (which is often)
i also want to think everyone on this board for helping me out with my questions. you guys are great!!
#188 - April 01, 2004, 05:11 AM

lynnmary

Hi, all!

So this is where everyone went dissappeared to. Cool.

Thanks, Verla, your site is wonderful! 

I'm lynn-mary from from the yeller board.  I write magazine articles and picture books.  Glad to see old and new faces around here.  Lisa, Pam... hello to all you folks from yeller board.  Almost like home.   :band

lm

#189 - April 05, 2004, 01:48 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Charlotte and Lynnmary! :D
#190 - April 05, 2004, 10:52 PM

tom

Ok making it official here. I was born and raised near Chadds Ford Pennsylvania :baby: and moved to Canada in 1968 to avoid my one way ticket to Viet Nam.  :z: I'm an illustrator :artist: and a stubborn rebellious but generally really nice guy with a heart of gold  :angel that refuses to take crap from people. :uhuh My wife calls me the mob-hippie. ??? My father had nothing to do with me so I have a hard time relating to men. :werd Women feel like brothers to me.  :hug: I'm also a Buddhist but I keep that to myself ...oops ... most of the time.  :eh: I love kids and regret not having a daughter. :-[ That's it for now.  :)    
#191 - April 13, 2004, 06:41 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Here's is your official welcome! Since you relate to women, then you're bound to love it here! :)
#192 - April 13, 2004, 07:17 PM

tom

Thanks Cassandra. I do.  :) 
#193 - April 13, 2004, 07:54 PM

MamaG

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  So many new people since the last time I checked this thread!
Welcome everyone :hug1:
#194 - April 21, 2004, 09:41 PM

Poster Plus
Hi!,

I am very glad that I found this message board.  Thanks Verla for creating it and gathering everyone here!   Some of you may know me from the CW yahoogroup,   and you’ve seen my name as Lizanne in other places.

I write mostly PB’s, for ages 4-7, some humorous fiction as well as historical fiction.  I have a few nonfiction pieces.

During the past few months I received a contract for a story to be published in Ladybug[ probably years from now ], and a request for a revision on a PB from an editor at Dutton.  [ no guarantees on this one – but It has been a GREAT learning experience and in many ways the story is stronger due to the editors comments and suggestions ]

I created an in-person writing group over a year and a half ago.  We call ourselves the Broads from Borders – great group – one woman is working on a screenplay, another woman is working on her third MG/YA while the rest of us are writing PB’s and articles for the younger ones.

My husband and I recently moved from our apartment on the Jersey shore – to a house!
So my writing breaks include unpacking boxes [ what a treasure hunt! LOL! ]  and decorating!

I look forward to participating & learning with everyone here!

--LiZ
#195 - April 26, 2004, 06:45 AM

Caroline

Welcome A'board !
#196 - April 26, 2004, 07:11 AM

MamaG

Liz--Welcome and good luck unpacking!  We moved into our house in 1998 and I still have boxes in the garage.  I just cant find a good place to put that stuff.  Actually, I always know where the stuff is so maybe that is the perfect place for it!
#197 - April 28, 2004, 07:08 AM

Kimberly

Welcome, Tom and Liz!!!
#198 - April 28, 2004, 05:14 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Liz! We're a fun diversion from packing. :)
#199 - April 28, 2004, 08:32 PM

Alison

Hey, everyone! This is Alison D. checking in--I've known about Verla's site probably as long as she's had it (I even link to it from my site), and attended some of the chats long ago, but I didn't know until today that there was an active message board here. Looks like a fun board! Lots of interesting topics, too.

I already know a lot of you from the yellow board, CW list, CW Cafe, or elsewhere, but for the record, I'm staying home with my very active & wacky sons, ages 3 & 5, while pursuing my writing. I write a bit of everything--poems, PBs, short stories, essays, MG & YA novels, etc., but my primary focus is the novels. I submitted my first YA novel in January & am still waiting to hear back on that one (hoping not to get a horrified response:  :paper:). Meanwhile I just sent out a short story & am having trouble settling into another project--I'm flitting a bit between another YA novel in progress and a midgrade novel in progress, not to mention that I have a picture book I want to rewrite and a short story I've just thought of a possible way to salvage! I'm also active in the Austin, TX chapter of SCBWI and will be attending a novel writing workshop with them next month. And, obviously, I spend too much time on the Internet!  :eh:
#200 - May 02, 2004, 05:38 PM

MamaG

Wow Alison!  You've got a lot going on, I admire the energy you must have to keep up with everything.
Welcome to the message boards, I hope you have fun here
#201 - May 02, 2004, 06:04 PM

Alison

Wow Alison!  You've got a lot going on, I admire the energy you must have to keep up with everything.

Ha ha ha, I'm not exactly a bundle of energy...I'm actually in my bed right now, posting this from my laptop! {blush}
#202 - May 02, 2004, 06:27 PM

Welcome Alison!  I look forward to your posts.

Stephenie
#203 - May 02, 2004, 07:17 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Alison. Glad you found us!!
#204 - May 02, 2004, 09:44 PM

HB

Hi Alison. Welcome aboard to the board.

I have to say...I've been admiring your dancing banana. It's adorable!

This is the best I can do:   :cuccoan:
#205 - May 04, 2004, 08:13 AM

Andrea

Hi, Alison! Good to see you here!

:) Andrea
#206 - May 04, 2004, 10:06 AM

Poster Plus

Chris Mandelski

Welcome Alison!  It sounds as if you've got a full plate.  I'm actively trying to figure out how I can force my body to only need 4 hours of sleep per night -- so I can "do it all".  I wonder if it's possible to do that -- without artificial stimulants.  Of course, they say Martha Stewart only sleeps 4 hours a night and look where that got her... :faint:

Good luck on your novel -- do you expect to hear soon?  I'm always admiring of someone who finishes a novel (still working on that one) and then -- actually submits it!  Good for you! :phat

Best wishes,
Chris ;D
#208 - May 04, 2004, 12:21 PM

Alison

Welcome Alison!  It sounds as if you've got a full plate.  I'm actively trying to figure out how I can force my body to only need 4 hours of sleep per night -- so I can "do it all".  I wonder if it's possible to do that -- without artificial stimulants.

Hey, what's wrong with artificial stimulants?! Or even natual ones...  ;) I do try to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night, but I also live on caffeine!

Good luck on your novel -- do you expect to hear soon?

??? I wish! It's been about 3 1/2 months now, & I'm forcing myself to wait another month & a half before I follow up with the editor, but I am a bit antsy about it, especially since it was requested & I figure the editor must have glanced at it by now, & probably has some opinion about it which I don't know! Of course, I also keep telling myself I need to just forget about it and get as far as I can on another project while I'm waiting, so I'm not just wasting this time!
#209 - May 04, 2004, 12:49 PM

eighthoctave

hi,
 i am a writer from india. i ahve written 3 books for kids till now
#210 - May 15, 2004, 12:24 AM

Members: